Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidental Lock Out Tip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have. :) But not the latest version after they've patched it however many times.

My DS mentioned it as well.

Page 28:
View attachment 12410

Has anyone attempted to unlock the door with a dead key fob (and posted a YouTube video of it)? Several minutes ago I attempted this by removing the CR2032 battery and placed it near the passenger side windshield wiper as documented. I couldn't open the front passenger door after repositioning the key fob several times. I wish they had a better bird's eye view drawing of exactly where to place the key fob. I can cheat with the mobile app (thanks to ahimberg for his WP app) but I would like to be prepared in case I happen to be in a place with no cell phone reception.

Has anyone attempted to unlock the door with a dead key fob (and posted a YouTube video of it)? Several minutes ago I attempted this by removing the CR2032 battery and placed it near the passenger side windshield wiper as documented. I couldn't open the front passenger door after repositioning the key fob several times. I wish they had a better bird's eye view drawing of exactly where to place the key fob. I can cheat with the mobile app (thanks to ahimberg for his WP app) but I would like to be prepared in case I happen to be in a place with no cell phone reception.

did you try the driver's side door? I haven't tried this, and you're right, it's pretty vague.

I had to take my car in today to have them look at the radio and some other issues and I asked about this. The mechanic said if the fob battery is dead, it won't open the car. The reason for putting it near the passenger windshield wiper to open the door, or to put it in the cupholder to start the car, is because these locations are closest to the fob sensor and are best able to pick up a weak signal. If this is correct, it is consistent with what you found.

Yes, on the dashboard there is a warning that says "Key Battery Needs Replacing, Replace Battery Soon". There is also a warning on the 17" screen at the top, just to the left of the Tesla Logo.
Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 10.06.04 PM.png

Each FOB is unique, equipped with RFID backup chip inside. This chip is read via proximity reader behind a cupholder's plastic. It is a standard feature for keyless operated cars.

Not on this car. You can prove it to yourself by removing the battery and trying it. I think those locations are just close to the antenna and will work with a really weak battery.,

I have just tried this, and only starting the car worked.

I removed the battery from the key FOB and could not get the car to open. I tried almost the whole area on the passenger side, as indicated by the manual. Nothing.

On the other hand, starting the car was possible. Not with they key in the cup holder, but placing it below the 12V plug. It required several attempts, though.

But it was impossible to open the car.

So, anyone knows why there is a difference?

I have just tried this, and only starting the car worked.

I removed the battery from the key FOB and could not get the car to open. I tried almost the whole area on the passenger side, as indicated by the manual. Nothing.

On the other hand, starting the car was possible. Not with they key in the cup holder, but placing it below the 12V plug. It required several attempts, though.

But it was impossible to open the car.

So, anyone knows why there is a difference?

I'll have to go back and try again. When I removed the battery, I couldn't get in or get the car to start. I did find that when my battery got weak, the only way to start the car was by putting the key in the cupholder.

I'll have to go back and try again. When I removed the battery, I couldn't get in or get the car to start. I did find that when my battery got weak, the only way to start the car was by putting the key in the cupholder.
The current version of the manual suggests the cupholder for weak batteries, but suggests the spot below the 12V plug for dead batteries, so I suspect that's the one place that will work for that. As for the windshield, I have a feeling that the spot just isn't quite strong enough (or has an extremely precise location) which is making it difficult.

Honestly I worried about that when I first heard that the MS had no physical backup and only an electronic key, but since they got the app working for starting the car, I feel that to be an adequate backup. I'd still prefer though that the app could work by bluetooth or something to the car for those locations where you have no cell coverage, that part still makes me a bit nervous.

Honestly I worried about that when I first heard that the MS had no physical backup and only an electronic key, but since they got the app working for starting the car, I feel that to be an adequate backup. I'd still prefer though that the app could work by bluetooth or something to the car for those locations where you have no cell coverage, that part still makes me a bit nervous.

My previous Cadillac CTS was almost exactly the same. It had a fob you kept in your pocket and solenoid-activated doors that unlocked/locked based on fob proximity. But it also had a physical metal key hidden in the fob that you could use in emergencies. The thing is, the key didn't unlock the door in the traditional sense. If you inserted and turned the key, you would hear the solenoid activate and the whole door would pop open without even pulling the handle. So great if the fob battery was dead, but not so good if the car's battery was dead. The doors could also be opened via OnStar, so that is kinda like using the Tesla app.

With the Tesla, you have the fob, then if that fails, the mobile app, and if the car's 12v is dead, you can jump it from behind the nose cone. There have been stories of folks in areas with high RF (cell towers and whatnot) where the fob wouldn't work. If that were combined with an area that also didn't have cell coverage, I'm not sure what you would do.

I once lived in a house where the only access to the garage was via the big door. It had a garage door opener but it also had a small key lock up near the top of the door on the outside. If the power or opener failed, you put the key in, turned, and the whole mechanism would pull out with a metal cable attached. Give it a tug and it would manually release the door opener mechanism and you could open the door by hand. It would be cool if Tesla had something like this behind the nosecone that could be used to manually release a door in the event of an emergency. The fact is, though, that it is probably such an unlikely scenario that it isn't worth the extra expense/complexity.

My main concern is the large amount of time I spend outside of cell coverage, combined with an electronic only key. Most likely I'll just make sure someone else in the party has the second fob as a backup in those situations, but I'd be happier if:
a) I knew the fob would get me in the door and car started without the battery, or if the electronics were fried (I doubt these fobs do well if they go for an accidental swim...)
or
b) the phone app worked without cell coverage (eg: bluetooth)

Either one would satisfy my comfort level