Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally made 2 reservations...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Back on model 3 reservation day, due to a credit card fraud warning I though my reservation did not go though so I did another one. Turns out both went though.

My future wife and I will only need one Model 3. Can I gift my 2nd reservation to my brother, father, friend? Will they be able to take advantage of the EV tax credit (assuming it's still available)?

Or should I cancel one of the reservations?
Thx
AE

You won't be able to transfer the reservation via Tesla. Others have mentioned that co-registering the car would allow you to effectively transfer the registration once the car is built but then you would probably need to be a co-signer on the loan as well. A friend and I each put down reservations on the 3 but I'm way in line ahead of him. Since I've also placed an order for the S, I probably won't be needing my 3 reservation. I might consider helping him piggyback on my reservation. It might help him get his 3 a but earlier but if it doesn't work out, I won't be out anything and will just get a refund.

Wait. I thought Tesla allowed a transfer to a parent or a child? (Friend for sure not).
I've never heard that anywhere.

According to the reservation agreement:
4. Acknowledgements; Non-Transferable
You understand that we will not hold your Reservation Payment separately or in an escrow or trust fund or pay any interest on your Reservation Payment. Your Reservation is not transferable or assignable to another party without the prior written approval of Tesla.

One could try getting written approval but I've never heard of anyone who received such approval.

Last edited:
My dealership told me that I can transfer it to a family member. They're likely just trying to prevent abuse from people selling their spot in line.

Unless you need the extra $1k, I would continue to hold it. You can always get a refund of it if needed. But right now the value of it is likely higher for the reason you mentioned - that tax credit could be worth up to $7,500.

I thought that the consensus here was that Tesla had implemented this policy to avoid "scalping" and that they would allow transfer to family members.

My dealership told me that I can transfer it to a family member. They're likely just trying to prevent abuse from people selling their spot in line.

Sounds like it could be possible if you get prior written approval from Tesla, as stated in the reservation agreement.

I have a feeling Tesla will let people transfer registrations to immediate family members (provided they are in the same region or at least the same household).
When they wrote the agreement, they had no idea that forcing a family member to get their own reservation could mean them being bumped 400K spots in the queue.

If you don't really need the $1K for a couple of years, see what happens. However, I wouldn't count on their stated policy changing, as any transfers other than those due to extraordinary circumstances might upset compliant reservation holders.