TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Accidentally made 2 reservations...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by AEsco48, May 22, 2016.

1. AEsco48

AEsco48 New Member

Hello,
    Back on model 3 reservation day, due to a credit card fraud warning I though my reservation did not go though so I did another one. Turns out both went though.

My future wife and I will only need one Model 3. Can I gift my 2nd reservation to my brother, father, friend? Will they be able to take advantage of the EV tax credit (assuming it's still available)?

Or should I cancel one of the reservations?
    Thx
    AE

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

You won't be able to transfer the reservation via Tesla. Others have mentioned that co-registering the car would allow you to effectively transfer the registration once the car is built but then you would probably need to be a co-signer on the loan as well. A friend and I each put down reservations on the 3 but I'm way in line ahead of him. Since I've also placed an order for the S, I probably won't be needing my 3 reservation. I might consider helping him piggyback on my reservation. It might help him get his 3 a but earlier but if it doesn't work out, I won't be out anything and will just get a refund.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

Wait. I thought Tesla allowed a transfer to a parent or a child? (Friend for sure not).

• Like x 1
  4. MorrisonHiker

#4 MorrisonHiker, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    I've never heard that anywhere.

According to the reservation agreement:
    One could try getting written approval but I've never heard of anyone who received such approval.

5. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I thought that the consensus here was that Tesla had implemented this policy to avoid "scalping" and that they would allow transfer to family members.

6. Booga

Booga Member

My dealership told me that I can transfer it to a family member. They're likely just trying to prevent abuse from people selling their spot in line.

Unless you need the extra $1k, I would continue to hold it. You can always get a refund of it if needed. But right now the value of it is likely higher for the reason you mentioned - that tax credit could be worth up to $7,500.

7. MorrisonHiker

Sounds like it could be possible if you get prior written approval from Tesla, as stated in the reservation agreement.

8. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

I have a feeling Tesla will let people transfer registrations to immediate family members (provided they are in the same region or at least the same household).
    When they wrote the agreement, they had no idea that forcing a family member to get their own reservation could mean them being bumped 400K spots in the queue.

9. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If you don't really need the $1K for a couple of years, see what happens. However, I wouldn't count on their stated policy changing, as any transfers other than those due to extraordinary circumstances might upset compliant reservation holders.