Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally triggering Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten quite a few of these by now:

IMG_7239.PNG

The first one I didn't think much about, chalked it up to a bug in the app. After getting a few more I started to wonder if there was a pattern. Today I noticed I got two of them while I was doing dishes in my kitchen. My kitchen is in fob range of my garage, I keep my key in my front pocket, and when I lean over the sink I probably sometimes rest my weight against the fob. That's probably what was happening.

A few lessons I've learned:

- Since I don't use Summon for anything other than demoing it, I think I'll disable it, and enable it by hand when I want to demo it.
- In addition to the other good reasons to plug in the car when possible, it has the helpful side effect of immobilizing it.
- It would be good if the fob actions to initiate Summon were more difficult to perform by accident. Cell phones, even "dumb phones", have keylock sequences to prevent butt dialing, and after all, when you butt dial someone, the potential consequences are usually less serious than the potential consequences of having your 4,800 lb. car start to move by itself.

Do any of you have any amusing (or less-than-amusing, I hope not) stories about butt-Summoning your car?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way, shouldn't we have a forum for Tesla features that are common to S and X?

My understanding is Tesla is releasing an update that removes activation of summon with the key.

I'll miss it because i like being able to summon with the key, but I understand their reasoning to avoid unintentional activation.

Personally I'm of the belief that the entire key has to be redesigned to be better suited for this function. Like the BMW key for the 7 series.

I think if they change the Summon to press and hold on both the front and rear fob buttons it would be very unlikely to cause any unintended Summon initiation as its unlikely that just those buttons will be pressed without the top button also being pressed in your pocket.

And, for safety, any FOB button press still needs to stop the car, right?

Probably not.

If Tesla implements changes consistent with the advice provided by "Consumer Reports" they'd probably be changing things up, (assuming they even keep the option to summon via the fob) and require a constant button press to move the car, (frunk for forward, trunk for reverse) and a release of the button to stop (or emergency stop) the movement.