Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally Unplugged the Flash Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was swapping out my Tesla's flash drive for one with a larger capacity, and higher heat tolerance. (emphasis on the latter bc my cabin usually hits around 136+)

I partially pulled out the flash drive, realized my mistake, looked at the onboard computer and realized it was still recording.

I plugged the flash drive back in and for a moment, the the Tesla showed the x icon over the Dashcam app, before recognizing the flash drive again.

Is that incident likely to harm that USB port, or the flash drive itself?

What procedures do you guys follow to safely eject a flash drive on the Tesla?

Thanks for your input

Absolutely not- USB is specifically designed for hot plugging (plug or unplug while active).
So are flash drives.
The only thing that can happen is a corrupted file. The last video on that drive is likely kinda messed up, but that's it.

I was swapping out my Tesla's flash drive for one with a larger capacity, and higher heat tolerance. (emphasis on the latter bc my cabin usually hits around 136+)

I partially pulled out the flash drive, realized my mistake, looked at the onboard computer and realized it was still recording.

I plugged the flash drive back in and for a moment, the the Tesla showed the x icon over the Dashcam app, before recognizing the flash drive again.

Others beat me to it, but it won't harm the USB port or the drive physically. However, the files or partition may be corrupt on the flash drive. You can always reformat it (note you will lose all the files however) or you can plug it into a computer and it can scan and repair it.
What procedures do you guys follow to safely eject a flash drive on the Tesla?

Thanks for your input
The manual tells you how. Pause the recording by pressing and holding the dashcam icon on the controls screen (not the app launcher). After the icon turns gray, you can safely remove it. Note if you tap it once (which I sometimes accidentally do instead of holding) it saves the most recent footage. If it is in the process of doing that, you must wait until it is done before pausing.
The Dashcam controls are:

Grey camera icon with a red circle in indicating recording
RECORDING: Shows that Dashcam is recording. To save video footage, touch the icon. To pause recording, press and hold the icon.
Grey camera icon with a grey dot in indicating recording paused
PAUSED: Shows that Dashcam is paused. To resume recording, touch the icon. To avoid losing video footage, pause Dashcam before removing the flash drive.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla