Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidently ordered the Y a while back - can I transfer the reservation to others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So back in Feb or so my dad accidentally ordered a model Y. Reservation is still on hold and it seems to be holding the 48k price for dual motor white / black interior.

Can I actually transfer this reservation to someone else?
Maybe I can make some money off it given the increased car price?

So back in Feb or so my dad accidentally ordered a model Y. Reservation is still on hold and it seems to be holding the 48k price for dual motor white / black interior.

i would love to take over the reservation if that is possible. Did you already fill out the registration?

You can message me and we can discuss the deal.

You probably can't but you can probably find someone to buy the car from you as soon as you pick up. So it will be brand new for them. Given the wait on model Y right now and the price increase you can certainly make some decent money

You can buy and then resell the car, but you'll have to fork out the money up front to pay for it, and then hope (and gamble) that you can sell it for as much or more than what you just paid for it. Regardless if it has 10 miles or 100 miles on the car, it'll be considered a used car at that point so that's certainly going to effect its value, even if it's a "new" car fresh from taking delivery.

Another option is to have your SA "reset" your order so you're back to square 1 with filling out the buyer's registration info and re-finalizing your order. This way you can have somebody else input their info into your existing order, and then they can select and apply for the payment options themselves. The only issue with that is they will need to do everything through your account, and I would only do this for somebody I know (which I may end up doing with my LR order that I also bought at $48k, if I end up taking delivery of my Perf). The other issue here is if you have your SA change your order and reset your info so you (or your friend) can re-enter it, that pretty much bumps you to the back of the line once the order is finalized. Then they'll be placed into the queue and maybe take delivery in December.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and RyanA
Another option is to have your SA "reset" your order so you're back to square 1 with filling out the buyer's registration info and re-finalizing your order. This way you can have somebody else input their info into your existing order, and then they can select and apply for the payment options themselves. The only issue with that is they will need to do everything through your account, and I would only do this for somebody I know (which I may end up doing with my LR order that I also bought at $48k, if I end up taking delivery of my Perf). The other issue here is if you have your SA change your order and reset your info so you (or your friend) can re-enter it, that pretty much bumps you to the back of the line once the order is finalized. Then they'll be placed into the queue and maybe take delivery in December.
Making any change will also update the price, which might be quite subtantial since February.

If you cancel your reservation you will lose your $100.

It seems that you can keep your reservation as long as you wish and as long as Tesla doesn't decide to cancel it.
This way you can keep the original price, expecting your configuration will be still available.
For example, you have a reservation for an LR RWD but this version might never been built.

You never know, may be sooner or later, a member of your family might consider getting a Tesla matching this reservation, so you will get back your $100... and even more.

Making any change will also update the price, which might be quite subtantial since February.

Your order price will only change to the current pricing if you make a change to your car’s build configuration, like changing the paint color, changing the wheels, adding/removing tow, etc. Adding FSD won’t affect the car’s price either, except you’ll just be adding $10k to the existing price by adding FSD.

If you leave the car’s build configuration alone but change the payment method only, then the price will remain the same on your order.

I was told by Tesla sales that it was. Are you still looking to transfer it???

There is a way but officially not supported by Tesla. Either forfeit your account or change the delivery/registration to the buyer, buyer pays/buys the car, then the seller transfer the delivered car out of their account into the buyer’s Tesla account.

There is a way but officially not supported by Tesla. Either forfeit your account or change the delivery/registration to the buyer, buyer pays/buys the car, then the seller transfer the delivered car out of their account into the buyer’s Tesla account.
When you are asked by Tesla to fill out registration info, you can simply input the name and address of someone else and have them pay.

I bought an early Model 3 reservation from someone this way.

At delivery, you will need to have tesla transfer the car from your account to whoever the other person is.

5 or 7 seat configuration? Gemini or Induction wheels? I would be interested if 7 seat. Wheels not so much a big deal as I can upgrade on my own but would prefer Induction. And white interior would have ideal, but black is fine as well.