TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

According to Tesla the Model 3 will not be available until late 2018 at the earliest for UK market.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Chrisuk83, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Chrisuk83

Chrisuk83 Member

Ok I was expecting this to be honest with being RHD. But just had a call from Tesla regarding a my M3 reservation / Ms test drive, and they said 2018 would be the very earliest the M3 will be in the UK. They almost didn't actually give me a test drive in the Ms because I had reserved the M3 which was a bit surprising, she said it's due to the M3 pricing not being available? (I assume it's more that they have too much interest and not enough sales staff). I did say I was also interested in the Ms in the mean time, I think this is the only reason I got the test drive in the end.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

The vast majority of folks on the Res list should not plan on seeing their M3 until 2018..... :rolleyes:

• Like x 1
  3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

2018 for the UK sounds about right.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I will be amazed if Tesla starts building RHD Model 3 vehicles before Dec 31, 2018 given the huge number of reservations they have to deliver to and the relatively small fraction of those reservations that are likely from RHD countries. Keep in mind that Tesla sales staff do not have reliable information about future products and production timetables.
    The only Model 3 pricing that has been announced is the US base price of $35K. And that will be all the information Tesla sales staff has.

I think you are expecting too much from the sale staff. Inside Tesla they are the last to know about new products or new features of existing products.

• Like x 1
  5. Jayc

Jayc Member

I would not bother reading into anything Tesla Staff say. And denying a MS test drive because you have a M3 preorder looks to me like bad judgement. I am quite certain we will see the first UK cars before end of 2018. The problem with all speculations including mine, others on this forum and even Tesla staff is that a certain amount of personal wishful thinking gets mixed with it.

• Like x 2
  6. Nuclear Fusion

Japan
    United Kingdom
    India
    Australia
    Malaysia
    South Africa

That's a substantial market.

7. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

And how well is Tesla doing in any of those markets? UK, Japan and Australia are doing decent. Population wise they aren't huge, though possibly offset by being relatively affluent relative to the globe on average. I think I saw something in the news about Tesla just starting to go to India, but no presence there yet. Zip in Malaysia. Zilch on the entire continent of Africa.

• Like x 1
  8. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Surprised that you had issues getting a test drive. Where was that? Everyone I know has been able to book one without any kind of "excuse".

9. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Late 2018 sounds about right. I'm hoping European deliveries start in March 2018, but it may be as late as June-ish. RHD market deliveries should start maybe ~6 months after that.

10. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Agree it's a bit odd. I was called up by Tesla a few weeks after the Model 3 launch, where they really wanted me to test drive a Model S. Tesla is trying to get Model 3 reservation holders to get a Model S instead.

Anyone else get a call today about the Model 3?

11. xav-

xav- Member

Great.. You guys can buy a good alternative like a Renault Zoe instead.. That's a pretty bad ass car.

12. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

No quick charging makes it pretty uninteresting, IMHO.

13. renim

renim Member

+ Hong Kong

14. alseTrick

alseTrick Member

If I lived in the UK I wouldn't be expecting my Model 3 until 2019, at the earliest.

15. Dawwen

Dawwen Member

When I spoke to Bristol, a little while ago admittedly, they had no issue with me booking a test drive of an S even though I have a 3 reservation.

I was under the impression I wouldn't see it until 2020 at the earliest when I ordered so actually arriving in late-2018 / sometime 2019 is fine by me.

16. Bennny

Bennny Member

The consolation? By the time we get ours, they will should have ironed out any bugs, squeaks, rattles etc with the car.

• Like x 1
  17. vitz

vitz Member

US deliveries are due to happen at the end of 2017, so there's no hope of other markets getting their cars until 2018 - the only way it would happen is if they halted production of the S and X for the second half of 2017 and purely made M3, but that's not happening.

I just hope that we receive ours here in the UK towards the middle of 2018, I'm not sure my ageing 2002 Golf will hang on too much longer than that!

18. dsvick

dsvick Member

They're made on separate lines so I don't think even that would help ... :)

19. vitz

vitz Member

Good point, well made

20. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

I think the earliest you'll see any in the US will be 1ST quarter 2018. Tesla rocks but the S and X were late from estimated production dates.