Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Account help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So my mom and I just picked up a new Tesla Model 3 recently and we decided that I would be the sole driver/responsible for the car. As of right now, the title and loan is currently under her name and we wish to keep it this way. What we want to do is change the account information so that the Model 3 is listed under my name and that I can go do service and be the main point of contact for the vehicle. As such, we aren't sure on how to go about doing this. She wants nothing to do with the car, I'll just make payments to her for the car. As of right now, I just have her account on my phone's Tesla app and have been using this to get around just fine. I tried to speak to an advisor about this, but I'm not sure if I explained the situation as well as I could have. Even so, we were given multiple options from the advisor and I wanted to see what people have to say regarding what to do:

My mom could keep her original account and simply add me as a "driver', however, we feel like this still makes her the main point of contact and she wants nothing to do with the car. This isn't the most ideal choice, but a slight inconvenience is fine for us.

We transfer ownership from my mom's account to my account which would end up changing all the paperwork to my name which is something we do not want.

3?) I saw somewhere that we could simply just change the information on my mother's account to my name and email which would not affect any paperwork on the account? It simple just changes the account information to my name and keeps everything else like the purchase agreement constant. I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

Sorry if this is confusing or may have a simple fix, just don't want to mess up anything over a simple inconvenience for us.

So my mom and I just picked up a new Tesla Model 3 recently and we decided that I would be the sole driver/responsible for the car. As of right now, the title and loan is currently under her name and we wish to keep it this way.

These two statements are opposite of each other.

If you are to be the "sole driver AND responsible for the car" that means the car (title, loan) should be in your name. You said a couple times your mom "didnt want anything to do with the car" which means that her name should not be on the title or loan. If you dont make payments to her for the car, she will still have to make the payments, thus she is, and will be "responsible" for the car until her name isnt on the title and loan any longer.

So, you are not talking about "responsible" you are talking about the tesla app, at least it sounds like that.

She can transfer title to you with DMV (give you the car). Thats what I would recommend, because thats the most official thing to be done. She could also add you as an additional driver.

Even if changing name and email in the tesla app works as a visible change, that would not do a thing to change responsible person.

Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
Our Teslas are in my name but my wife has often dropped off the car for service. Tesla has never once cared who is dropping off the car or paying the bill. If you have the key or access in the app, you're good. I think you're over thinking it.
Nothing you change with Tesla will change your mom's legal obligation to the car (loans and registration)

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
If you’re using your mom’s credentials to access the app on your phone, all you need to do is update the contact information for the account. Your mom doesn’t need to have the app, and Tesla doesn’t send much email, so your mom won’t be bothered much. If she gets email, she can forward it to you. No need to add yourself as a second driver since you’re already using her account. You might even be able to change the contact email using her account on the web (can’t do that in the app).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
If you’re using your mom’s credentials to access the app on your phone, all you need to do is update the contact information for the account. Your mom doesn’t need to have the app, and Tesla doesn’t send much email, so your mom won’t be bothered much. If she gets email, she can forward it to you. No need to add yourself as a second driver since you’re already using her account. You might even be able to change the contact email using her account on the web (can’t do that in the app).
On top of that, by adding her credentials on your phone, you will be able to peruse and respond to all of her emails (if you are so inclined)!
In retribution, she will be able to remotely monitor where you drive, how fast you drive, and where you park.

Teslas and privacy don't coexist.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
Upvote 0
On top of that, by adding her credentials on your phone, you will be able to peruse and respond to all of her emails (if you are so inclined)!
Tesla credentials are only in the Tesla app. You do not need to be logged into the whole phone as someone else.
A huge number of spouses are just logged into the same Tesla account to share a car without having to share everything else.
If you have half a brain, your Tesla credentials are not your email credentials.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Upvote 0
Tesla credentials are only in the Tesla app. You do not need to be logged into the whole phone as someone else.
A huge number of spouses are just logged into the same Tesla account to share a car without having to share everything else.
If you have half a brain, your Tesla credentials are not your email credentials.

You think the OP's mother was scheming enough to use a fake email account to buy the car?
Really?

Upvote 0
You think the OP's mother was scheming enough to use a fake email account to buy the car?
You really have no idea how email and credentials for services work. No fake email account was needed here. Just a unique password for Tesla vs any other service. Just because you tell someone to log into the Tesla app with your email as the username and a password does not mean you have access to their email.

However, I think I just found someone that is using their email password at Tesla, TMC, their bank, and a bunch of other places. Probably "pass1word"....

Upvote 0