TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Accuracy of TPMS?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Driving Dynamics' started by NJEV-Don, Nov 8, 2020.

1. NJEV-Don

NJEV-Don Member

Curious what people think of the accuracy of the MY TPMS. I adjusted the tires on my 19” Gemini tires to 42 PSI per the recommendation. The car says it’s 44-45 for each tire. My tire gauge is supposed to be accurate. The ride is pretty rough so thinking the TPMS may be more accurate. Thoughts? Anyone have better experience with different tire pressures? Thanks for anyone responding.

2. Ken-E

Ken-E Member

Had exactly the same thing happen to me on my M3P... and was also curious as to why TPMS showed 3-4 more PSI on my 20".

3. frankvb

frankvb Supporting Member

Yesterday I inflated the tires to 41 psi (checked with an accurate pressure gauge) and the car is showing 41 psi on all wheels.

I'm not sure if the car pressure reading is adjusted for tire temperature, so that may have caused the difference? Or, if it is, it would show the pressure at 70F or so, which means if you inflate it at very low temperatures it would show a too high pressure.

4. jcanoe

jcanoe Member

#4 jcanoe, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    The pressure readout on the TPMS on my Model Y with 19" Gemini wheels and OE Continential tires match my Intercomp 2.5" dial Deluxe Air Pressure Gauge (analog gauge) within 0.5 lb. Tires need to be cold (at rest for ~4hours) when checking the tire pressure. If one side of the vehicle is being warmed by the sun the tires on that side will read at least 1lb higher that the tires that are in the shade. A garage reading is best, first thing in the AM. The TPMS in my Model Y will provide a reading almost as soon as I start driving, the reading is consistent after ~1 mile of driving. Later readings will typically be 1 to 2 lbs higher than when cold. Usually all 4 tires will read the same with one tire reading lagging by 1 lb until it warms up.

5. Jacko

Jacko Member

I have a MY Performance and the TPMS on the 21s were dead on. I just swapped to my winter setup - Martian Wheels/Vredestien tires and a new set of Tesla TPMS. Also dead on. I'm using a very accurate digital gauge. And the MY read the new TPMS as soon as I drove out of the tire shop.

6. Srad600Volt

Srad600Volt Member

I have a pretty accurate digital tire pressure gauge and the TPMS is usually within a half pound of the gauge. The TPMS only indicates full pounds, so there is some roundoff happening, my gauge reads down to 0.1 lbs.

7. NJEV-Don

NJEV-Don Member

what tire gauge do you have?

8. Srad600Volt

Srad600Volt Member

Longacre Racing Products 0-60psi digital tire pressure gauge.
    IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0807.JPG

• Like x 1