Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accuracy of TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jerry - those of us in cold climates are extremely accustomed to the Aluminum Rim Surprise! at the onset of every cold season. The larger coefficient of thermal expansion (well, contraction here) that Al has over Fe seems to be the culprit in these rims being able to let air out of anything but tubed tires.

After reading this thread I went out to my new 90D to get a read on my tire pressure. I can't find it. Where are you seeing readings from the TPMS? Thanks! - a newbie
On the left steering wheel scroll button, long press and scroll down to select the wheel icon. The toy car will show up with the tire pressures. If the reading is blank, you need to drive a little bit to get the reading.

Jerry - those of us in cold climates are extremely accustomed to the Aluminum Rim Surprise! at the onset of every cold season. The larger coefficient of thermal expansion (well, contraction here) that Al has over Fe seems to be the culprit in these rims being able to let air out of anything but tubed tires.

Only ever had problems where there was a bad bead seal. Tire tech didn't do a good job. Of course, it's happened multiple times.

I'm not going to try to compete with you for who sees colder weather, but we do get quite cold here on occasion (as low as -40 (c or f is the same)) and I've never seen this issue on any of my previous vehicle (and I've always had Al rims on all my cars)

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm going to resurrect an old thread.

Due to failure of the old system on my '13 P85+, I just got the upgraded sensor suite installed that shows each tire's PSI on the dash. After the install, the next afternoon I went up to my tire shop and swapped out my summer 21"s for winter 19" (OEM slipstream rims) and 245/45R-19 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL tires from Tire Rack. (Got two new sets of the updated sensors from Tesla for both the winter and summer tires.)
After the new 19" tires were swapped on, the TPMS on the dash all showed 5-7 pounds under pressure compared to the fancy tire shop gauge. The shop gauge showed each tire spot on at 45psi. After driving 7 miles at highway speeds (in 30 degree weather) the TPMS on the dash never got above 41psi for each tire
and the error message never went away.

My door sticker only shows info regarding the 21" rims/tires I took off. How do I sort the correct PSI for 19" rims with Michelin X-Ice i3 tires? According to the printing on tire the max cold PSI should be 50psi, but I know that's just the "max" (at cold) and not necessarily what you should set the pressure to.
Thanks in advance, happy new year.
(Below is my sticker on my door for the original OEM 21" tires.)

IMG_0737.JPG

As far as I know, the pressure for 19 inch tires on a Tesla should be at 45PSI and that is where I have my X-Ice 19’s.

As to the TPMS, when I swap tires, I do need to reset them - not clear whether you re-used your old sensors or added new ones, but they do take a short drive and a reset on the center console.

My own TPMS reports the same pressure as my two gauges and also the tire shop and Tesla service.

That said, I have never had a car that regularly lost tire pressure like the Tesla does - I am assuming aluminum wheels + crappy roads = air loss and temperature variations just add to it.

As far as I know, the pressure for 19 inch tires on a Tesla should be at 45PSI and that is where I have my X-Ice 19’s.

As to the TPMS, when I swap tires, I do need to reset them - not clear whether you re-used your old sensors or added new ones, but they do take a short drive and a reset on the center console.

My own TPMS reports the same pressure as my two gauges and also the tire shop and Tesla service.

That said, I have never had a car that regularly lost tire pressure like the Tesla does - I am assuming aluminum wheels + crappy roads = air loss and temperature variations just add to it.

When I got the upgraded TPMS system installed they gave me 4 new sensors (as the old ones don't work with the new system) and I bought 4 additional new-style sensors so I have one set for my summer rims, and one set for my winter rims.

When I swapped the winter tires on I did do a TPMS reset (and had to tell the car I was on 19" rims vs 21 before.)

What's more accurate? The TPMS system or the fancy tire pressure system at the tire place? Also what temperature is considered cold for the cold max? It's averaging about 15-20F here during the day. My garage hovers around 45 or so.

After the new 19" tires were swapped on, the TPMS on the dash all showed 5-7 pounds under pressure compared to the fancy tire shop gauge. The shop gauge showed each tire spot on at 45psi. After driving 7 miles at highway speeds (in 30 degree weather) the TPMS on the dash never got above 41psi for each tire
and the error message never went away.

Did you reset the TPMS on the touchscreen? Have to do that every time you change wheels or TPMS sensors.

I have a top quality gauge and the TPMS readings on the dash and gauge readings are always spot on. So in my case TPMS is very accurate.

Did you reset the TPMS on the touchscreen? Have to do that every time you change wheels or TPMS sensors.

I have a top quality gauge and the TPMS readings on the dash and gauge readings are always spot on. So in my case TPMS is very accurate.

I've reset it (at the shop when initially the tires were put on) but I'll try and reset it again maybe.

I think it's best reset when the car is moving at speed.
OK. Once the weather clears I'll take it out again and try to reset it then. Are you saying to do the reset when the tires are little warm? (say after driving 10 miles or so at highway speed?) It's pretty cold around here right now, always below freezing, I'm not sure what difference that will make.

Have to geek out here. Before the big financial implosion, there was a small company making extremely good tire gauges. They are called Psiclops. The gauge itself has a 3-point calibration traceable to NIST. And, it has two hoses to attach to the tire valves, so you measure and adjust your tires in pairs so they are EXACTLY equal.

My psiclops agrees with my TPMS within 1 psi, which I attribute to rounding.

I have been losing pressure very slowly also. I went to a tire place and they found corrosion on the wheel where it meets the tire, which they said they fixed. I will know in a month or so.