Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accuracy of trip consumption display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MSLR w/19" wheels is showing 260 wh/mile in the trip display for the last 700 miles (very few highway miles). EPA lists the car as "28 kWh/100 mi" which would be 280 wh/mile. So am I really getting better than EPA or is the car reporting incorrectly? EPA does show 124 MPGe for city vs. 115 highway which means highway is worse.

Secondly if EPA range is 405 miles with 28 kWh/100 mi doesn't that figure out to a 113 kWh battery pack?

Can someone fix my thinking here?

My new MSLR w/19" wheels is showing 260 wh/mile in the trip display for the last 700 miles (very few highway miles). EPA lists the car as "28 kWh/100 mi" which would be 280 wh/mile. So am I really getting better than EPA or is the car reporting incorrectly? EPA does show 124 MPGe for city vs. 115 highway which means highway is worse.

Secondly if EPA range is 405 miles with 28 kWh/100 mi doesn't that figure out to a 113 kWh battery pack?

Don’t know where you are getting that figure. Rated is 265 w/mi or 26.5/100 mi. There is a line on the energy display of my S that shows rated as approx 265.

The EPA test measures the energy that comes out of the wall and energy used while parked, which will include charging inefficiencies. The Tesla display counts neither of these things, only showing you the driving efficiency for the trip itself.

Don’t use the information found on the EPA sticker for calculating anything! The EPA sticker uses consistent standards and is intended to allow you to compare one EV to another, and to a lessor extent to ICE cars. There is only one number of value on the sticker, the range.

To calculate power consumption that was used to come up with the range, multiple the battery size by 1,000 and then divied by the range shown on the EPA sticker. For example, in my MS this is 100 kWh * 1000 / 402 = 248.75 wh/Mile, which matches the line in the energy display.