Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accused of cracking my panoramic sunroof within less than 24 hours of ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Accused of cracking my panoramic sunroof within less than 24 hours of ownership.

I had largely forgiven and ignored Tesla’s less than adequate customer service, because I was keen to get my hands on my new car. My experience today though, cannot be ignored.

I collected my Model 3 AWD Performance on 28/09/19 from Dartford, my scheduled appointment was 15:00, we didn’t end up leaving until just gone 17:00. It was busy, very busy (think cattle market/conveyer belt). We were asked to inspect the car, in less than adequate light with a guy pressuring us to leave. When I noticed the car had less mileage range in it than our anticipated trip home, I was advised to drive to Bluewater and use a super charger there, as they were too busy to charge it again. That was a great first start having just spent 50k on a car.

We arrived home at about 21:00 having taken a slight detour on the way home to grab some food. We live 74 miles from the dealership, we had done just over 100 miles by the time we got home. It was dark.

The next day (29/09/19) around 14:00, we noticed a huge crack in the panoramic sunroof. In a panic, I took multiple photographs, tried calling customer service (no answer) and emailed the only Tesla email that I knew “[email protected]” this then appeared to get forwarded to the Body Shop team. I wasn’t told who to contact in a situation like this and I didn’t know that I was meant to book an appoint on the Tesla app. Anyway, on the 2nd of October the Tesla team automatically booked me an appointment and I received a confirmation email, saying that the repair was booked for 5th November, I was abroad so subsequently changed this to 08:00 on 8th November (a good 6 weeks away).

The crack wasn’t causing any issues, so I thought no more of it, until I turned up at my appointment on the 8th November.

Within a few sentences of the Customer Service Assistant greeting me, she stated that the crack to the panoramic roof was “clearly impact damage”, stated in a very accusatory tone. She then went on to say that she had “no copy of the emails” and was “concerned” that there was a delay to booking the repair appointment (It was a weekend?! I didn’t know you could do it on the app!?) She was accusing me of the damage.

Multiple times she then reiterated that fact that it was “impact damage” and the car had gone through a “multiple stage inspection prior to collection”. Insinuating that I was responsible for the cracked roof. I’d love to know how she thinks I caused that crack within less than 24 hours of owning it- maybe I dropped an anvil on it? Or maybe I got a bit too eager with the claw attachment on my crane, in the dark, at 21:00. I’ve got no idea, but we all know about Tesla’s super quick turnaround and speedy delivery of the vehicles to the dealership on the same day. I was getting in a bit of a fluster at this point, but managed to find the emails to prove my innocence. This seemed to settle her.

Next, I’m told the “glass repair man” can’t get to Dartford until 13:00, as he’s got another job to do in Hastings first. Right……so why didn’t they reschedule my appointment- I arrived at 08:10, I now have a 7-8 hour wait (after the glass is fitted and cured). I didn’t really get a straight answer about why I wasn’t told to come in later.

In the Customer Service Assistance’s defence, she did offer me a hire car (but it would take me two hours each way to go home and come back), she did offer to drive me to Bluewater and she did apologise for the accusation when I saw red and exploded.

From my experience of owning and maintaining BMW/Mercedes, they just don’t have this arrogant attitude with their customers. I spent 50k on a car and get treated like this? This just seriously isn’t going to wash. If this continues, then when BMW releases it 100% electric car, we will all jump ship over to BMW, because we much prefer the way they treat us.

Lesson learnt, don’t let Tesla pressure you into leaving the forecourt with your new vehicle until you are ready to do so. If you do then find a fault, take photos and save all emails- you may be required to use these to prove your innocence.

On the flip side I absolutely adore my AWD Performance and I’m hopeful that after today I won’t have to set foot in another service centre for a few years.

Anyone else had an unenviable experience with the Tesla damage repair??

Not good. The whole situation you describe is a result of Tesla's poor approach - both to the delivery process and after-sales service. It wouldn't happen with any other car company. On the plus side, at least they did right by you in the end. However, Tesla need to sort out their sh1t in the UK.

They offered you the earliest appointment they had, the member of staff accepted you explanation after you showed proof, she then apologised for the wait and offered you two solutions to help.

Before I bought my Tesla I went into a BMW garage and was ignored for about 20 minutes despite being the only customers in there. I wasn't offered a free hire car, or a lift anywhere, and nobody acknowledged my problem. Maybe its just perspective?

I dont know if it seems worse to some people because its a different type of service, I think its a great idea being able to log faults through the app because you can add pictures etc and pick a date straight away. On the flip side of that though the Model 3 has been very popular and they clearly dont have enough staff to deal with everything as quickly as we would like.

I had an Audi A6 years ago, it had a multitronic gearbox which developed a fault which felt like a clutch slipping, the car had not long after it fell out of warranty so the work cost £1600 at the time to fix. A few days after collecting the car I gave it a wash and found the alloys were all scuffed across the whole face of the alloy like they had been laid flat on the floor, the Audi dealer asked if i was sure i hadnt curbed them (the whole face of the wheel?). I had to take the car in to the dealer and ask to see the manager about the wheels, he looked at the damage and agreed to replace them for new.

A little while after that I was at my brothers work getting new tyres fitted, we found that there was a bolt missing from the transmission which bolted it to the engine and one has half way done up and i dont think it had worked its way loose. Called Audi and all they did was send me to the dealer who did the bolts up, I asked for the work to be inspected at another garage because of the issues it seemed like they had a trainee work on it or just a total moron but they didnt care what so ever. They said i could get inspected by someone else at my own cost but they wernt interested.

I've also been to other VAG group dealers who offered a loan car but you have to sort your own insurance for it.

I've notified Tesla of what looks like couple of stress lines in the glass roofs. Unfortunately they do not photo - very lighting specific, but wanted them noted on the record in case they cause a future problem.
Best way to see it would be with photo elastics. Youse polorised light like a computer monitor and a liner or circular polorizer. It lights them up on fire

Never had any issues with customer service, and never had other Tesla drivers complain about it- and am frankly suspicious whenever I hear these things.
I bought my car in twice , they fixed the alignment for nothing the first time , and recently after driving back and forth from NY to Homestead Florida, and NY to Key West Florida and back, took the car in for a check-up and wasnt charged for any of it. the first time I was given a loaner Model S, the second time an Uber Voucher for $100.

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
Lesson learnt, don’t let Tesla pressure you into leaving the forecourt with your new vehicle until you are ready to do so. If you do then find a fault, take photos and save all emails- you may be required to use these to prove your innocence.

Your situation is the biggest problem I had with their whole delivery/schedule a service issue, you are sometimes not even allowed to inspect the car without being rushed and often tricked into signing for the car (Even after asking the delivery person whether this is signing for the car).

Now if you find an issue such as a cracked roof, how can you know if they are going to fix it or instead accuse you of breaking it as you are not able to speak to anyone and have to wait 6 weeks for an appointment, its *bad word* ridiculous.

Imagine you turn up and they say no you can't have it fixed for free, your now way past your 7 day return period and your only recourse would be legal action. I assume they are not stupid enough to decline repairs but if they do they can expect plenty of law suits as their actions will not hold up in court.

Never had any issues with customer service, and never had other Tesla drivers complain about it- and am frankly suspicious whenever I hear these things.

What part exactly is suspicious? Do you think people trying to damage the brand name?

Its well documented their processes and the way some of their staff have no customer service skills, like tricking people into signing for the cars on pick up when clearly asked "This signature isn't for accepting the car?" yes this happened many times!

Tesla have clearly damaged their own brand name when it comes to customer service for pre sales and after sales in the UK with their delivery fiascos, the only thing good is the product which is why people put up with it.

Last edited:
Your situation is the biggest problem I had with their whole delivery/schedule a service issue, you are not allowed to inspect the car without being rushed and often tricked into signing for the car (Even after asking the delivery person whether this is signing for the car).

That's a ridiculous statement to make and far to sweeping.

My pickup was no hassle at all, no rush, 5 of us picking up cars, having a chat, checking them all, discussing things. 30/40 minutes - left to our own time frame and when we were happy we could sign and leave as and when.

Not rushed at all, no-one was "tricked" into signing for a car, and zero issues.

Even with mine going back in for some charging issues, Service centre were polite, attentive, keep me up to date etc.

No issues at all.

I've notified Tesla of what looks like couple of stress lines in the glass roofs. Unfortunately they do not photo - very lighting specific, but wanted them noted on the record in case they cause a future problem.
Stress lines in Glass usually cause polarization of the glass. Have you looked at it through polarised sunglasses and does it look worse? if so you might be able to photograph it through a polarised lense to capture it better.

This really sucks if it was preexisting damage. But this situation isn't limited to Tesla. If you rent a car and fail to point out existing damage, you could be on the hook for it later. I found the service center where I picked up my car was very dark. That's where we have to check out the car before taking delivery. I ended up driving it out into the parking lot (in the sun) and looking at it there.

This is a cautionary tail why you must do your own due diligence. I usually record my rental cars with a video camera and do a full walk around. Insurance can cover damage but it may not always cover extra fees such as money the vehicle isn't generating while being repaired.

That's a ridiculous statement to make and far to sweeping.

My pickup was no hassle at all, no rush, 5 of us picking up cars, having a chat, checking them all, discussing things. 30/40 minutes - left to our own time frame and when we were happy we could sign and leave as and when.

Not rushed at all, no-one was "tricked" into signing for a car, and zero issues.

Even with mine going back in for some charging issues, Service centre were polite, attentive, keep me up to date etc.

No issues at all.

Granted I expect most had a good experience but many did not and the whole having to wait 6 weeks for an answer to whether something will be fixed that was there on pickup is the main issue when they should be prioritised for new cars.

On some occasions especially at Heathrow, the staff were not allowing any inspections of the car and didn’t want to talk and just tried to get people to sign the car over.

When asked if this was signing for the car and condition the delivery person said No, once signed for the delivery person then said that’s it.

This has been reported multiple times, even once is ridiculous, it’s not made up and they were doing this.

Their whole pre inspection and the detailer looking at the car is a joke, often if there is an issue they will bodge the job to get the car out and hope you don’t notice in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
During my Dartford collection, I was asked to sign to acknowledge receipt of the car on a phone screen while sat in the car. The signature box was zoomed in to fill the screen and there was no indication on screen or mention from the tesla representative that there was any further conditions attached.

This is not a case of buyer beware, but rather borderline dishonest practices.

During my Dartford collection, I was asked to sign to acknowledge receipt of the car on a phone screen while sat in the car. The signature box was zoomed in to fill the screen and there was no indication on screen or mention from the tesla representative that there was any further conditions attached.

This is not a case of buyer beware, but rather borderline dishonest practices.

Yes its even worse when the person says no this isn't signing the car over and then next says that's it nothing else to sign, this is the reality, some of the staff trying to trick people, yes most may have had a better experience but it doesn't excuse this behaviour!

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Not good. The whole situation you describe is a result of Tesla's poor approach - both to the delivery process and after-sales service. It wouldn't happen with any other car company. On the plus side, at least they did right by you in the end. However, Tesla need to sort out their sh1t in the UK.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here. The whole delivery process over here is not fit for purpose when delivering the volume of cars that are coming in now. Even when I picked my S up nearly 3 years ago it was recommended a checklist was used to spot PDI failings - they were cursory then, now I’m not sure they’re even that good. :(

That’s exactly as it should be, but many SC’s just don’t have the manpower, and that’s not their fault, they don’t get the support from Corporate. That’s no defence for the accusatory way @Ml3PerformMel was spoken to though.

On the flip side I absolutely adore my AWD Performance and I’m hopeful that after today I won’t have to set foot in another service centre for a few years

Good to hear and they might even have a Service Centre nearer to you sometime Soon o_O.

I had largely forgiven and ignored Tesla’s less than adequate customer service, because I was keen to get my hands on my new car. My experience today though, cannot be ignored.

I collected my Model 3 AWD Performance on 28/09/19 from Dartford, my scheduled appointment was 15:00, we didn’t end up leaving until just gone 17:00. It was busy, very busy (think cattle market/conveyer belt). We were asked to inspect the car, in less than adequate light with a guy pressuring us to leave. When I noticed the car had less mileage range in it than our anticipated trip home, I was advised to drive to Bluewater and use a super charger there, as they were too busy to charge it again. That was a great first start having just spent 50k on a car.

We arrived home at about 21:00 having taken a slight detour on the way home to grab some food. We live 74 miles from the dealership, we had done just over 100 miles by the time we got home. It was dark.

The next day (29/09/19) around 14:00, we noticed a huge crack in the panoramic sunroof. In a panic, I took multiple photographs, tried calling customer service (no answer) and emailed the only Tesla email that I knew “[email protected]” this then appeared to get forwarded to the Body Shop team. I wasn’t told who to contact in a situation like this and I didn’t know that I was meant to book an appoint on the Tesla app. Anyway, on the 2nd of October the Tesla team automatically booked me an appointment and I received a confirmation email, saying that the repair was booked for 5th November, I was abroad so subsequently changed this to 08:00 on 8th November (a good 6 weeks away).

The crack wasn’t causing any issues, so I thought no more of it, until I turned up at my appointment on the 8th November.

Within a few sentences of the Customer Service Assistant greeting me, she stated that the crack to the panoramic roof was “clearly impact damage”, stated in a very accusatory tone. She then went on to say that she had “no copy of the emails” and was “concerned” that there was a delay to booking the repair appointment (It was a weekend?! I didn’t know you could do it on the app!?) She was accusing me of the damage.

Multiple times she then reiterated that fact that it was “impact damage” and the car had gone through a “multiple stage inspection prior to collection”. Insinuating that I was responsible for the cracked roof. I’d love to know how she thinks I caused that crack within less than 24 hours of owning it- maybe I dropped an anvil on it? Or maybe I got a bit too eager with the claw attachment on my crane, in the dark, at 21:00. I’ve got no idea, but we all know about Tesla’s super quick turnaround and speedy delivery of the vehicles to the dealership on the same day. I was getting in a bit of a fluster at this point, but managed to find the emails to prove my innocence. This seemed to settle her.

Next, I’m told the “glass repair man” can’t get to Dartford until 13:00, as he’s got another job to do in Hastings first. Right……so why didn’t they reschedule my appointment- I arrived at 08:10, I now have a 7-8 hour wait (after the glass is fitted and cured). I didn’t really get a straight answer about why I wasn’t told to come in later.

In the Customer Service Assistance’s defence, she did offer me a hire car (but it would take me two hours each way to go home and come back), she did offer to drive me to Bluewater and she did apologise for the accusation when I saw red and exploded.

From my experience of owning and maintaining BMW/Mercedes, they just don’t have this arrogant attitude with their customers. I spent 50k on a car and get treated like this? This just seriously isn’t going to wash. If this continues, then when BMW releases it 100% electric car, we will all jump ship over to BMW, because we much prefer the way they treat us.

On the flip side I absolutely adore my AWD Performance and I’m hopeful that after today I won’t have to set foot in another service centre for a few years.

Would be happy to have a look at the photos for you.
I used to be a glass defect engineer in a past life and specialised in finding why windscreens broke on planes, trains and cars (albeit bullet resistant ones)

Reactions: Andrew_SE23