Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACK! Forgot to change limit back to 80% after charging 100%!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
Got a LR Y a month ago (LOVE it) and I'll try to make a long story short..
getting a vaccine in the Philly suburbs has been difficult and I found an appointment for the one dose J&J vaccine that was in rural PA
The Tesla trip planner showed I would have 5% remaining round trip if I had it charged at 90% when I left for the appointment. Knowing I would be going through the Poconos and up hills a lot and a supercharger would detour me about 20 minutes (not including the 10 minute charge to add on a few percentage points). I decided to reduce my range anxiety and had charged the battery to 100% for when I left
worked out great, I got my vaccine (and a huge headache the next day) and got back with 11% remaining (which wouldve meant 1% remaining, had I not charged extra) I then plugged it in with my regularly scheduled departure time for the next morning

the problem is that the next morning I got in my car and it was at 100% again because I forget to reset the limit

I am fairly certain that this isnt going to be the end of the world as far as my battery longevity is concerned (particularly since I don't have any long trips planned for a long time) but it's my new baby and as a new parent I get worried easy.
So- basic question, do I have reason to worry?
and to add- basic rant, gee Tesla, if charging the battery to 100% a lot isn't good, then have a setting where it will only charge once beyond 90% and you have to override it to do it on consecutive days!

So- basic question, do I have reason to worry?
I've done that accidentally once or twice too, and that isn't really a worry if it happens once in a while. I did go out for a drive to try to take 20 miles or so off it as soon as I could though, just to get it a few % down from the top.
and to add- basic rant, gee Tesla, if charging the battery to 100% a lot isn't good, then have a setting where it will only charge once beyond 90% and you have to override it to do it on consecutive days!
"gee", that is great of you to rant about wanting Tesla to do something it already does. If you would have gone one more day, it WOULD have displayed a message on the screen warning you that this is an unhealthy practice for the battery, and you should not be using that "Trips" area of the charging (over 90%) for constant daily use.

I've done that accidentally once or twice too, and that isn't really a worry if it happens once in a while. I did go out for a drive to try to take 20 miles or so off it as soon as I could though, just to get it a few % down from the top.

"gee", that is great of you to rant about wanting Tesla to do something it already does. If you would have gone one more day, it WOULD have displayed a message on the screen warning you that this is an unhealthy practice for the battery, and you should not be using that "Trips" area of the charging (over 90%) for constant daily use.
Ha! Well I do suppose that if the message doesnt pop up the 2nd day then it wasn't all that bad...
Thank you for your reply

Ha! Well I do suppose that if the message doesnt pop up the 2nd day then it wasn't all that bad...
Thank you for your reply
I think they were picking a decent balance with 3rd day. People's longer vacation trips might be two days back to back frequently, so they don't want to bother or nag people about it. But if it's a 3rd straight day, that is more likely someone forgot to set it back.

I think they were picking a decent balance with 3rd day. People's longer vacation trips might be two days back to back frequently, so they don't want to bother or nag people about it. But if it's a 3rd straight day, that is more likely someone forgot to set it back.
yes, I am one of those. I OFTEN take several days on long trips back to back. Usually set the car to charge to almost 100% and to finish by about the time I leave the hotel in the morning. As a side note, I recall someone suggesting in a design meeting several months ago that it might be nice to not pester a user about the higher charge rate if the car is a LONG way from it's registered home. Not sure what happened to that suggestion. Although sounds like a decent idea, I can think of a couple misinterpretations about that as well. Bottom line for me, I have a reminder on my phone that when I get to my final destination on a trip or get back home, to set the charge level back to 80%.

the next morning I got in my car and it was at 100% again because I forget to reset the limit
...do I have reason to worry?

No worries. We regularly charged our 2013 Model S to 100% every Friday for preparation for big weekend trips. After dozens of such weeks and always charging to 90% and hundreds of supercharges, the car reports 95% original capacity on the range gauge. Don't worry, charge on, drive on!

Reactions: DanDi58 and ratsbew
Optiwatt is a great solution for this. I set calendar entries for any long trip where I'm going to need 90 or 95 percent, and otherwise have it set to 80%. There are still a few glitches in the way the software displays current and future charging, but the basic functionality has been spot on for a couple months now (started using it in December). It's free and the developers have been very responsive.

Reactions: BrianBigNFun
Well. That’s it. Youre done. You let the smoke out. I hope your happy.

Only good news is I hear you can bottle the smoke and sell it... not gonna pay for the shame you have brought on the Tesla community though.

1617364399758.jpeg

Here is an example from an ICE vehicle. For a Tesla you need to get one of the Teslaquila bottles...

1617364524194.jpeg

Apparently it is coated in a special yellow chemical which helps hold in the lithium...

Last edited:
I figured I would ask this question here and not create a new thread, and it’s somewhat related: I noticed last night that the limit for “trip” is now at 90%, but I really thought that when I first got the car in January, the trip started at 80% and daily was 60-80. Did I dream it, or did it change with a recent update? I wonder if it stems from further research on the current battery tech, showing no real impact if you charge up to 90% every day?

I mistakenly also left my limit at 92% a couple of times in a row. The car actually displayed the warning about the long term battery health when setting it up in the trip section when I got back to my car, it was helpful.

I figured I would ask this question here and not create a new thread, and it’s somewhat related: I noticed last night that the limit for “trip” is now at 90%, but I really thought that when I first got the car in January, the trip started at 80% and daily was 60-80. Did I dream it, or did it change with a recent update? I wonder if it stems from further research on the current battery tech, showing no real impact if you charge up to 90% every day?

I mistakenly also left my limit at 92% a couple of times in a row. The car actually displayed the warning about the long term battery health when setting it up in the trip section when I got back to my car, it was helpful.

The manual states that keeping a charge from 20-90% is best for the battery

Well. That’s it. Youre done. You let the smoke out. I hope your happy.

Only good news is I hear you can bottle the smoke and sell it... not gonna pay for the shame you have brought on the Tesla community though.

View attachment 650202

Here is an example from an ICE vehicle. For a Tesla you need to get one of the Teslaquila bottles...
Yes, I've let the wiring harness smoke get too low on my MGB before. I also lost all of the blinker fluid once in a freak accident.

At one point long before I got my car, there was some different setting, and I think it didn't involve sliders. I think it was just pick one of two choices. But I got mine in March 2014, and from then all the way up until now, all of their cars have had it divided by 50%-90% and 90%-100%.

It's been 90% for at least 6 years. Before they had the 50% to 89% for Daily and 90% to 100% for trip, they had Standard and Max Range settings. IIRC, it would charge up to 93% for Standard but when they changed it to Daily/Trip, the lowered it to 90%.
1617642386006.png
1617642517253.png

1617642578216.png

On my first Model S, I charged it to 90%. Most days, I never needed that much range so I started charging to 80% on my second Model S. Now that I don't drive it daily, I usually just set it to 50% or 60%. If I'm taking it out of town, I'll set it to 90% or 100%, as needed. My 2017 Model S has less than 4% degradation after 4 years and 48k miles.

Last edited: