Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACKK!!! Midnight silver or regular silver???

Silver or midnight silver (aka grey)?

• Regular silver

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Midnight silver (metallic grey)

Votes: 128 67.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a fair comparison because of those ugly aeros but....

That silver is looking pretty good. The midnight silver looks super dark...

F652B522-0B0E-436A-B37B-B1E255ABF4B2-5471-0000044CA5AC97B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
Not sure where you are located in SoCal socalguy but I’m in Newport Beach.. I have the silver with sport wheels and there’s another guy with the midnight silver and sport wheels at my office building. The tough thing is that we both don’t bring the car in every day.

I definitely don’t get the criticism with the silver here. I totally agree that the midnight silver is a good choice. But many people get the pearl white car... IMO silver looks way better than pearl white... which btw is a fancy name for white...

Oops I am going to be in trouble for saying that :(

Reactions: Hayden
Not sure where you are located in SoCal socalguy but I’m in Newport Beach.. I have the silver with sport wheels and there’s another guy with the midnight silver and sport wheels at my office building. The tough thing is that we both don’t bring the car in every day.
I split my time between LA (Manhattan Beach) and NYC though I have family in OC.

If you guys ever do happen to bring your cars to work at the same time, would you mind taking a few pics together? Hard to get both cars in the same lighting conditions/angles.

I've had metallic silver before on a 1980 RX-7. Current car is a 2000 BMW 323i in Orient Blue; about the same as Deep Blue Metallic. My initial choice for M3 was leaning toward Pearl White but now I'm seriously considering the Midnight Silver Metallic. Either one will look funky with the latest CA HOV stickers (red; ugh!)

When I bought my BMW 325ci 17 years ago I was deciding on Steel Grey (darker grey) and Steel Blue (lighter grey with blueish tint) and decided to go with Steel Blue and never regretted the decision. I still have the vehicle although will be selling it when my Model 3 arrives.
When I bought my BMW X3 4 years ago I was deciding on Space Grey Metallic (darker grey) and Glacier Silver Metallic (lighter grey/silver) and decided to go with Glacier Silver and never regretted that decision either.

Living here in Phoenix I’m concerned about the dark colors on top of dark interior (i’d get grey or white interior if I could) and the glass roof. If there was an option for lighter interior I’d lean more towards the midnight silver or even possibly the blue, but right now leaning strongly towards the lighter silver option again.

Again, this is all completely subjective, but I went with the Midnight Silver Metallic. For full disclosure, I was 100% convinced that I would go with the Silver Metallic after seeing the reveal version. That alpha silver was so damn sweet! However, the production silver in person reminds me too much of my old silver 1999 Honda Civic, and I just wasn't about that. MSM is by far the moodiest of the color options, but also looks so sleek, and has the most going for it in my eyes. I'm beyond excited that I'll be receiving the car in 4 or 5 weeks (placed my order last Friday). Plus, at the end of the day, it's really not about the paint color at all. It's all about the amazing forward thinking technology that is packed into the Model 3. But to stick to this thread, count me as Team Midnight Silver! :)

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 2.04.27 AM.png

Again, this is all completely subjective, but I went with the Midnight Silver Metallic. For full disclosure, I was 100% convinced that I would go with the Silver Metallic after seeing the reveal version. That alpha silver was so damn sweet! However, the production silver in person reminds me too much of my old silver 1999 Honda Civic, and I just wasn't about that. MSM is by far the moodiest of the color options, but also looks so sleek, and has the most going for it in my eyes. I'm beyond excited that I'll be receiving the car in 4 or 5 weeks (placed my order last Friday). Plus, at the end of the day, it's really not about the paint color at all. It's all about the amazing forward thinking technology that is packed into the Model 3. But to stick to this thread, count me as Team Midnight Silver! :)

View attachment 294952
Yeah, to me, I'm not fond of the metallic silver. Midnight silver, though, that is stylish. I'm still likely going for red, but MSM is next on my list.

Reactions: cellogig
We have both colors
Wife has a model x midnight silver. Before I thought of buying the model 3, I told her to choose this color. Love the color. She loves the color.

After having a positive experience with the purchase, ordered a model 3. Sadly I was nix to get the same color by her. “We should not have two cars of the same color”

This is my fourth silver color car I have owned.

Either color is great

Reactions: ModelX
We have both colors
Wife has a model x midnight silver. Before I thought of buying the model 3, I told her to choose this color. Love the color. She loves the color.

After having a positive experience with the purchase, ordered a model 3. Sadly I was nix to get the same color by her. “We should not have two cars of the same color”

This is my fourth silver color car I have owned.

Either color is great

Lol my wife is basically telling me the same thing. No pearl white for me. I owned a silver car for 9 years. I like that it never looked very dirty but I can’t decide if I should rule it out just because My previous car was silver. MSM and pearl white are probably my top 2 so it will likely be MSM

Lol my wife is basically telling me the same thing. No pearl white for me. I owned a silver car for 9 years. I like that it never looked very dirty but I can’t decide if I should rule it out just because My previous car was silver. MSM and pearl white are probably my top 2 so it will likely be MSM

I agree with you on how the car never really looks dirty by picking silver as a color.
Last night my wife stated that midnight silver does not hide dirt well. It came up in conversation because of the car color on the screen. Your choice of color is the same on the little car that drives down the road located on your screen.

The pearl white is nice color but I stated on another thread here that white reminds me of transist vans. But the white color Tesla chose has luster to it.

Also I missed counted we have owned 5 silver cars within the last fourteen years. I forgot the perverbiale we instead of I have owned. Forgot to count one her previous car purchases.