Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACKK!!! Midnight silver or regular silver???

Silver or midnight silver (aka grey)?

• Regular silver

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Midnight silver (metallic grey)

Votes: 128 67.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've eliminated white and now I'm down to just this very difficult choice: regular silver or midnight silver (aka metallic grey). I'll be going with either the silver 19" wheels or the aftermarket silver turbine 20s from EV Direct

Silver
+ Really shows the cars lines
+ Seems clean even when it's dirty
+ Minimizes the chrome
- Kind of boring/common?
- I already have a silver car

Midnight silver
+ Looks classy/elegant
+ Makes silver wheels "pop"
- A little darker than I'd like
- Changes color - sometimes looks purplish
- Car's lines less noticeable

Anyone else make this choice? Would love your thoughts / rationale for picking one over the other (including your own decision). Thanks!

OP : if you're set on silver wheels, I think the Midnight Silver will contrast nicely with them. I'm actually a huge silver fan; Most of the cars I've owned, including the ICE I just replaced with the Model 3, was silver. I chose MSM this time around and having no regrets. Honestly I was getting bored with silver, and Tesla's silver wasn't metallic enough for me. I really liked the silver they used on the 3 during the reveal:

tes3.jpg

Unfortunately this is not the production silver on the roads.

Reactions: JBT66 and Asad1087
OP : if you're set on silver wheels, I think the Midnight Silver will contrast nicely with them. I'm actually a huge silver fan; Most of the cars I've owned, including the ICE I just replaced with the Model 3, was silver. I chose MSM this time around and having no regrets. Honestly I was getting bored with silver, and Tesla's silver wasn't metallic enough for me. I really liked the silver they used on the 3 during the reveal:

tes3.jpg

Unfortunately this is not the production silver on the roads.

Yeah I was bummed about the alpha silver not making it to production too

Yeah I was bummed about the alpha silver not making it to production too
I went back and forth on this one for a month or two. Finally decided on silver metallic for the following reasons:

Nice contrast between paint color and dark glass roof.
Shows lines and shadows better
Matches wheels
Easy to clean, doesn't look dirty
Currently have a dark metallic car...and it can't stay clean
Cooler in the summer here in Texas
More "rare"

I think a lot of people didn't like the production silver because of how interesting the reveal silver was. So it was a let down to many. I think the silver is starting to make a come back, though, especially in Texas.

Good luck!

My first one was midnight silver (actually, it was steel grey which was then renamed midnight silver - not to be confused with the original dolphin grey). Loved it - flecks of blue under direct sunlight.

Second car is the multi-coat pearlescent white.

Big fan of the midnight silver. Not a fan as much of the silver, but a friend who just picked his up loves it. Potato, potatoe.

My first one was midnight silver (actually, it was steel grey which was then renamed midnight silver - not to be confused with the original dolphin grey). Loved it - flecks of blue under direct sunlight.

Second car is the multi-coat pearlescent white.

Big fan of the midnight silver. Not a fan as much of the silver, but a friend who just picked his up loves it. Potato, potatoe.
I really liked one of the first MS metallic greys - I think it was the dolphin one that first came out. I wish they still had that color!
tesla steel grey left vs orig dolphin grey right.jpg

Reactions: David29
Color is certainly a personal preference thing, but my first M3 spotting in the wild was a Midnight Silver example, with aero wheels. Although I love the M3, this color doesn't really "stand out" especially on the gray overcast winter day, I spotted it. Perhaps with the silver sport wheels it would have popped more, but gray paint, gray wheels, gray asphalt, gray sky's = no wow factor for me.

Reactions: David29
I say Midnight Silver over Silver. Rented a Midnight Silver Model 3 and it looked fantastic. I parked it next to a Silver Model 3; while the silver makes the car looked clean, the Midnight Silver looked classy and more interesting to me.

I was deadest on Midnight Silver after seeing the blue... which is really more of a purple (disappointing).

However, then I saw it in Red. There is just something about the BOLD red color. I've always had black or silver cars... and this time I think I'm going red.

Reactions: jjh1234 and David29