Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acoustic foam detached from Michelin Primacy tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Incredulocious

LEAF → RAV4EV → Model 3 → Model Y
Mar 31, 2012
Scotts Valley, CA
Over the past few weeks I started noticing heavy vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds. It wasn't really noticeable until about 70 mph, but very obvious at 80 mph. (This is with a Sept 2018 Tesla Model 3 "stealth" Performance – 18" wheels / Michelin Primacy MXM4.) My suspicion was that the vibration was due to imbalance in a tire that I had patched a few months ago since some of the acoustic foam was cut out to do the repair. (Turned out not to be true.)

Back Story: I had discovered a slow leak in the passenger side front tire over the winter and found some tire outlets were not willing to attempt to patch the tire due to the acoustic foam. I ended up trying an America's Tire shop in San Jose based on some suggestions in this forum but I was initially rejected there too until I mentioned the tire was Michelin Primacy MXM4. Upon hearing that, the front desk guy insisted that Primacy MXM4 didn't have acoustic foam and so they were willing to proceed. However, when they removed the tire to repair it, they discovered there was acoustic foam present and said they couldn't fix it without removing the foam around the patch area. They were not at all open to peeling it back and then re-adhering it as I think I read some folks had done. Anyway, they cut away some section, did the patch repair, rebalanced the wheel and rotated my tires. (All for free as per America's Tire policy to attract new customers.)

Some months later I started noticing this vibration in the steering wheel at high speeds and expected I'd find that the rebalancing at America's Tire wasn't quite good enough for high speeds. I then learn about Hunter Road Force Balancing for more accurate wheel balancing and find an outlet near me in Santa Cruz that has the equipment. ($35/wheel)

Results: Turns out that in one of the *other* tires (driver's side front), the acoustic foam had separated completely from the interior surface of the tire and was balled up inside. No wonder I was feeling vibration! There's no sign of the foam being cut and, based on normal tire rotation pattern, it doesn't seem to be the patched tire.

All good now – vibration is gone, road feeling is back to normal. I don't know yet if I'll hear a difference in road noise. (Tire noise seems pretty loud on some road surfaces anyway due to the lack of engine noise but also the less than optimal soundproofing in the Model 3.)

So... beware of potential failure/separation of the acoustic foam in these tires:

michelin-primacy-foam.jpg

Thanks for the info. Do the replacement tires for Tesla actually come with acoustic foam or does it need to be installed at time of replacement? I am wondering if this foam is more trouble than it is worth. Does it really make a noticeable difference in road noise levels? Has anyone actually measured the difference?

After going for a Drive to Niagara falls all of a sudden we started to get a vibration happening once you get over 90 Km/h, it gets more intense the faster you go, i've had issues with an unbalance wheel(on different cars), but it was usually something that happened gradually not all of a sudden, didn't hit any pot holes or notice anything stuck on the wheel, original wheel weights are still attached and not indication that one fell off, wonder if this is what happened, can't get an appointment at the Tesla service center until Monday, guess i'll find out then.

Thank you for the post. I think this is what has happened to me too. Several tire shops, finally a road force balance and found one tire is way off. Seems fine sometimes and not others. Going to schedule a Tesla service.

Do the replacement tires for Tesla actually come with acoustic foam or does it need to be installed at time of replacement?

Foam is pre-glued by Michelin.
You can order replacement PS4's with, or without, acoustic foam in them. Foam adds $28/tire, so +$112 for the set:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...19&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=

I am wondering if this foam is more trouble than it is worth. Does it really make a noticeable difference in road noise levels? Has anyone actually measured the difference?

There is so much wind noise in TM3, that I would not mind a touch more tire nose to offset it ;-)
Personally, I don't see paying extra for troublesome foam on the next set of tires.

YMMV

Hi Everyone. I am another victim of this problem. Photos attached. I have contacted Tesla to see what they intend to do about this tire failure at less than 23,000 miles. My guess is the extreme heat caused the foam to become unglued . This is clearly manufacturing defect on Michelin’s part.

836377E6-33E8-408E-A54B-D24017411A63.jpeg
AA64CECE-492E-4840-984D-BF262D7442B1.jpeg
AA64CECE-492E-4840-984D-BF262D7442B1.jpeg

Reactions: Stach