Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acquiring a Tesla Roadster, which model & turnaround?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in acquiring a Tesla Roadster, for use both as a PR/Marketing tool & Development work (PEM/drivetrain & transmission). There is also the question of turnaround time. What are the trade-offs between models (2008, 2009, 2010, regular or Sport) & delivery times?

Is the Sport worth the extra cost?

What are the current delivery times like?

Or, should I try to get one used, like from Ebay?

I am in Los Angeles area, I would prefer a California car (no rust).

There is also the question of turnaround time.
If you special order a new one it will probably take a while (>month) to get it.

Used ones or "floor" models at the dealerships do exist, and are probably "cash and carry".

What are the trade-offs between models (2008, 2009, 2010, regular or Sport) & delivery times?
As far as I know, there was no official Model Year 2009. Basically all of the new 2008s are sold so it would be used only for one of them. The 2010 has a bunch of changes, but the most noticeable would be the switch of the shift lever to P-R-N-D buttons, the move of the VDS from your left knee to the center (under the radio), and the change of the dashboard to show energy-used + speed, not RPM + speed (which was practically redundant in a car with only one gear).

I think the PEM was extensively redesigned between 2008 and 2010 models. I think the A/C was also redone. I heard that motor cooling was also improved. I don't think the new PEM uses motor windings as an inductor anymore for charging, so perhaps no more "reductive charging" royalty to ACP.

Is the Sport worth the extra cost?
That depends on how much you value performance and having the "best of the best". You get 0-60 in 3.7s instead of 3.9s if that is important to you. You also get 1/4 mile in about 12.6s instead of 12.9s. You also get stickier tires and some suspension upgrades for better handling.

What are the current delivery times like?
Why not talk to a salesperson at one of the stores and find out? I don't think there is much of a waitlist anymore, so it is probably as fast as they can build it and ship everything to your nearest dealer. Keep in mind that major parts would come from various places in Europe and have to be shipped to Menlo Park for drivetrain install, and then delivered to your nearest store (e.g.: LA)

Or, should I try to get one used, like from Ebay?
If you are in a hurry and want to save a little money, and don't need personalized options, and don't mind that someone else put some miles on it already.
(Probably not eligable for the same tax deductions either)

I am in Los Angeles area, I would prefer a California car (no rust).
With an aluminum chassis and carbon fiber body, I wouldn't be too concerned about rust with the Roadster.

Also, the LA area is probably one of the largest Roadster markets, so you should be able to find some available.

If you are serious about buying one soon you should go to the LA store and talk to them.

Tesla Motors - Store Locations - Schedule a Roadster Test Drive in West Los Angeles
11163 Santa Monica Blvd.
West Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-473-8337

Tesla is pushing the Sport version. If money is a concern you may have to wait for them to build you one to your spec.

There are many used and check in these pages you can find them pretty regularly.
Remember that the Fed rebate is $7,500 and CA has a rebate of $5,000 (check for timing on this one) but neither of these EV perks would be available to a used car.

Be sure to let us know when you get it. Us LA drivers are gathering...

I ordered mine on September 29, 2009 and received it in early december (I don't recall the exact date).
It is a "base" model but I did order the adjustable suspension (which is standard on the sport model) as an option. In everyday traffic, I can't tell the difference between a base model and a sport (the one I test drove at the dealership before ordering was a sport). So, unless you are going to take the car to a race track, save some money and get the base one...

Tesla is pushing the Sport version. If money is a concern you may have to wait for them to build you one to your spec.

That is the truth. In Seattle there are three floor Roadsters that can be driven home if you pay. All three of them are the Sport model.

I think most of the "built on spec" Tesla Roadsters being sent to stores are the Sport version. $140,000+.

Two of them also have the top of the line exposed carbon fiber packages, interior and exterior.
They all have the electronics group and other upgrade options.

There are no base model $109,000 Tesla Roadsters in the stores. :)
I think you would have to wait 6 weeks to get a "budget" Tesla Roadster.

Last edited: