Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acronyms, abbreviations, oh my

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): The first 18 posts of this thread were moved out of the following thread:

Firmware Update 2018.14

Lol, so Tesla owners just make up their own acronyms, even when they are describing similar things? No, MCU doesn't mean "Media Control Unit" as per that website. It has already been taken, and refers to any embedded microcontroller (specifically, it means Microcontroller Unit... and that predates Tesla by almost 5 decades and is in common usage in the technical community). A Tesla probably has dozens - if not 100 or more - MCUs onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
No, MCU doesn't mean "Media Control Unit" as per that website.

In the Tesla community, MCU means Main Computing Unit or that thing that controls the 15”/17” monitor. Some sites call it Main Control Unit, or Media Computing Unit, or the aforementioned Media Control Unit (like Electrek.co), but I don’t think it really matters as we all have the general gist of what MCU is referring to.

Lol, so Tesla owners just make up their own acronyms, even when they are describing similar things? No, MCU doesn't mean "Media Control Unit" as per that website. It has already been taken, and refers to any embedded microcontroller (specifically, it means Microcontroller Unit... and that predates Tesla by almost 5 decades and is in common usage in the technical community). A Tesla probably has dozens - if not 100 or more - MCUs onboard.
Maybe you meant to say abbreviation.

That's not an acronym. An acronym is an abbreviation where the first letters of a series of words are used, and those letters create a new word. Like scuba. Not like MCU

That's not an acronym. An acronym is an abbreviation where the first letters of a series of words are used, and those letters create a new word. Like scuba. Not like MCU
Your claim does accord with the definition given for acronym in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

• : a word (such as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letteror letters of each of the successiveparts or major parts of a compoundterm; also : an abbreviation (suchas FBI) formed from initial letters :initialism

If you’re offended by ‘MCU’ being redefined, then you better sit down. Ever heard of FWD?!

Seriously, abbreviations or acronyms have a long history of meaning many different things in different contexts/environments. Having them mean ‘something else’ to ‘Tesla people’ is not exactly new or exciting or wrong.

OMG SOMEBODY ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG QUICK GET ME MY KEYBOARD!!!11!

I also think of microcontrollers just about every time I see MCU used. But the fact is that when you're talking Teslas on the internets, MCU means the doohickey that sends pixies to the sideways teevee to make the pretty pictures.

In MCU2 cars it has so many pixies it sends the extras to the whatzit behind the steering wheel that you can consult with a quick glance if you ever forget which paint color you decided on for your car.

Wow, you have a lot of work to do notifying people about this issue; first your bank (IRA) or the Irish Republican Army, then the US government or your dentist (ADA - American's with Disabilities Act, American Dental Association), then retail outlets or people who are sh*tty (POS - Point of Sale, or Piece of Sh*t), I guess you are ok on CD, no need to let the banks know as the music industry doesn't use them anymore (Certificate of Deposit or Compact Disk), then back to the bank and your telco (ATM - Automated Teller Machine and Asynchronous Transfer Mode). Going to be tough getting all this straightened out, good luck!

Wow, you have a lot of work to do notifying people about this issue; first your bank (IRA) or the Irish Republican Army, then the US government or your dentist (ADA - American's with Disabilities Act, American Dental Association), then retail outlets or people who are sh*tty (POS - Point of Sale, or Piece of Sh*t), I guess you are ok on CD, no need to let the banks know as the music industry doesn't use them anymore (Certificate of Deposit or Compact Disk), then back to the bank and your telco (ATM - Automated Teller Machine and Asynchronous Transfer Mode). Going to be tough getting all this straightened out, good luck!

The solution is obvious. We need acronymspaces, a system that allows acronyms to be unique. Each acronym will consist of the prefix**, the acronym***, the context****, the industry***** and the language******.

For general industry terms context 0 is used. Industry context 0 can be dropped.
For any industry (which is more broadly a general area of discussion) the matching context identifier will be used to for MAs******* (meta-acronyms) used for discussions of industry acronyms.

Every acronym will have a numeric prefix, starting at 0. Prefixes provide a way to distinguish between duplicate acronyms within the same context. Prefix 0 can be dropped, since it will apply to the first established acryonym.

Once the prefix context, industry and language are established in a discussion these parts can be dropped. The popular hashtag system can be used to establish context or the full acronym, including prefix.

The system will be managed by GCAA********. GCAA will not manage pronunciations, because the dynamism of language would make managing the pronunciation too difficult.

This system would provide complete clarity, making arguments about use of acronyms redundant. We would know that MCU.TMC.T.en and MCU..T.en are completely different things. Anyone arguing about meaning of acronyms would obviously be an 1.AH.us.L.en who can be ignored.

* P.A.A.en ********
** A.A.A.en
*** C.A.A.en
**** I.A.A.en
***** L.A.A.en
****** A is the reserved industry identifier for Acronyms.
******* Or 0.MA.A.A.en.
******** Global Corporation for Assigned Acronyms. Full name 0.GCAA.A.A.en

(If a moderator wishes to move some posts to another, off-topic thread, I think it'd be reasonable. :p)

Last edited:

I suggest you file a complaint with the AAAAA (American Association Against the Abuse of Acronyms).

Mmm... nope. Its an acronym. Microcontroller Unit is a *bit* of a stretch because it should be MU since Microcontroller is a single word... but it is still considered an acronym. (in fact many in the field to use MU, but more commonly uC - figure that one out [the u is actually a representation of the Greek letter mu, which is used to indicate "micro" in metric systems. So "mu C" means "micro C" or Microcontroller].

An abbreviation for microcontroller would be, for example, "micro" (also commonly used). You seem to think that SCUBA is a special example because it happens to be something we refer to more as a word itsefl, but that's not the definition. An acronym is simply the shortening of a mult-word (or rather mult-sound) structure into a collection of its first-sound letters. Tesla Motors (when it existed) could be expressed by the acronym TM. TWDIOT can mean This Whole Discussion Is Off Topic - also an acronym.

In the Tesla community, MCU means Main Computing Unit or that thing that controls the 15”/17” monitor. Some sites call it Main Control Unit, or Media Computing Unit, or the aforementioned Media Control Unit (like Electrek.co), but I don’t think it really matters as we all have the general gist of what MCU is referring to.

That's my point... we don't.

To those that humorously expressed that I'm whining over something that is extremely prevalent (just like my example of TM for Tesla Motors also means Trademark)... I get your point, but there is a significant distinction. When we say MCU as "media control unit" we're talking about a computer. MCU as a "microcontroller" is also discussing a computer. That extra level of confusion would be nice to avoid. I mean... here we are literally saying that the MCU is an MCU. My point was the confusion, not simply that the acronym MCU was already taken by something (it also means Mythical Creatures Union)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If you’re offended by ‘MCU’ being redefined, then you better sit down. Ever heard of FWD?!
In context... I'm not getting your point. In the automotive world, FWD = Front Wheel Drive. And that's it. Confusing it with, for example, Forthworth Dallas... is not an issue. If someone said it meant "Four Wheel Drive"... they'd just be wrong, right? Because it would be idiotic to introduce that confusion (hence 4WD).

Again, that's my point. It shouldn't be introduced to mean something so similar to what it actually means. Tesla already calls it the Infotainment unit, so why not stick with that?

ps. That's the last point I'll make on the subject. I'm fully aware I'm looking like a douchbag with this.

An abbreviation for microcontroller would be, for example, "micro" (also commonly used). You seem to think that SCUBA is a special example because it happens to be something we refer to more as a word itsefl, but that's not the definition. An acronym is simply the shortening of a mult-word (or rather mult-sound) structure into a collection of its first-sound letters. Tesla Motors (when it existed) could be expressed by the acronym TM. TWDIOT can mean This Whole Discussion Is Off Topic - also an acronym.

Actually, MCU and FBI are usually defined as initialisms and SCUBA would be an acronym - but both are abbreviations. The examples you've given (TM and TWDIOT) are initialisms - it makes more sense in my opinion. However, it's clear that usage varies and both of you are correct depending on which dictionary or definition you want to believe. Acronym - Wikipedia

Ok, I'm back :) (didn't take long).

So then can you give me any other examples of an acronym beside SCUBA and laser - using your distinction??

According to this non-authoritative page... initialisms are a subset of acronyms.

I'm satisfied that I learned something, in any case. I've never before heard the term initialism. So thanks for that.
And to answer your other question, you must not have been here much. FWD is Falcon Wing Door around these here parts. It doesn't mean anything else, because all Teslas are RWD or AWD. That was my example of, it all depends on the context! This is Tesla-land, things mean what we want them to mean. :D (Two points for those that get that reference....)

And, I think we've beat this up enough, for sure. (Threads go down the drain when there is no new software... Only thing going out is 2018.12, to sorta be on topic.)

Reactions: croman
Groan. Ok, lol... thanks for letting me know that. Its stupid, but fine, I yield... Tesla forum users can invent their own language if they want. But serious, WTF (does that mean something different here? Weird Tesla Fans, perhaps?)
Haha, no. My point was only that every microcosm and industry has its own language and acronyms and initialisms. :D