Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Across the USA and back in a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

In May, my wife and I took our Model Y extended range across the USA and back. The nav was precise, and we always were able to get to a supercharger when we needed one, as long as we stayed near the Interstate Highways. When we went into the mountains, such as visits to national parks, we sometimes had to use a destination charger or plug into an outlet at a hotel overnight. If anyone wants additional details, just ask. We have no range anxiety for future trips.

When we went into the mountains, such as visits to national parks, we sometimes had to use a destination charger or plug into an outlet at a hotel overnight.
Finding hotels with, or near, a public L2 charger is quite challenging when travelling away from major Highways and superchargers.

Sometime I was lucking finding a public L2 charger near a Starbucks or a Safeway store.
But those were at least half an hour walking distance from my hotel.
And often you get disconnected after two hours.

It is so practical to charge your car overnight, when at home.
And this should be what you would expect be able to do when travelling.

Using a public L2 charger during the day is not very practical when travelling because you can only charge about 10% in an hour.
So after one day of driving around the area that you are visiting, the following day you get stranded for four to six hours charging your EV.

Sounds like a great trip. we have not done that long of a trip yet. Now when we plan a trip we look for hotels with destination chargers, this takes the worry out when you get there. We found a Hampton in Toronto that had 12 tesla destination chargers and 12 J1772 chargers, this was great.

Sounds like a great trip. we have not done that long of a trip yet. Now when we plan a trip we look for hotels with destination chargers, this takes the worry out when you get there. We found a Hampton in Toronto that had 12 tesla destination chargers and 12 J1772 chargers, this was great.
Hilton has a page on their website where you can specifically search for Hamptons with EV charging. If you display all of the contiguous US and most of Mexico, it says there are 1152 Hamptons with charging! (Only 15 are in Mexico, so 1137 in the contiguous US.) They appear to be pretty serious about it.

Reactions: chan_man
All,

In May, my wife and I took our Model Y extended range across the USA and back. The nav was precise, and we always were able to get to a supercharger when we needed one, as long as we stayed near the Interstate Highways. When we went into the mountains, such as visits to national parks, we sometimes had to use a destination charger or plug into an outlet at a hotel overnight. If anyone wants additional details, just ask. We have no range anxiety for future trips.

If your up to it, that sounds like it would be a great new thread in the road trips subforum, with as much detail as you were wiling to put in there.

I really enjoy reading people posting about these long road trips, and it also helps new owners (or future "maybe to be" owners) see what others have done, etc.

Only if your up to it, but I would love to read about your trip in detail.