Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACTEW ACT charging fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been advised that fees apply from Feb.
  • "$10 monthly ongoing access fee, which includes free use of all our level 2 fast charging stations and access to our level 3 rapid charging stations.
  • Use of our level 3 rapid chargers will cost $6 for the first 15 minutes and 35 cents per minute after that.
  • Monthly invoices will be generated and emailed to you on the 1st of the month. The first invoice will be sent to you on 1 March 2017 for the usage in February"

If you charge for one hour and maintain 50 kWs it will cost $21.75 so 43,5 c /kwhr. plus $10 a month. This will be more expensive than WA electric hwy.
I think Ill use Tesla SCs

Really; from free to $10 a month in one step and then charges on top of that?
Do petrol stations charge monthly access fees?
Why don't they do a UBER; create an app, the customer puts their credit card details into the app, then they can pay for the energy used.
In the mean time ACTEWAGL get information on the addressable market and generate leads for people in their home electricity market area.
Instead, with this plan ACTEWAGL have just reduced their market to zero.

I am very much a disciple of free charging like free WiFi and free software (like linux) and will not support the paid model.
and, yes, I also donate; in my case software.

There are only a few ways you get something for free:
- Charity
- Theft
- Marketing/luring

I think the majority of free charging will be luring you to a certain location where there is the hope you will consume a service from their business.

Have a look at sourceforge and github.
Free software is a matter of liberty, not price.

Giving away, aka "liberating", software is a very different thing to giving away electricity or property. The reproduction cost for software is essentially zero. I could give one person or a thousand my software for free and it would cost me the same. Electricity is different, if it costs me $1 to charge one persons car it will cost me $1,000 to charge 1,000 cars. At some point that will not be sustainable without my receiving some sort of direct or indirect compensation to continue.

Free software is a matter of liberty, not price.

Giving away, aka "liberating", software is a very different thing to giving away electricity or property. The reproduction cost for software is essentially zero. I could give one person or a thousand my software for free and it would cost me the same. Electricity is different, if it costs me $1 to charge one persons car it will cost me $1,000 to charge 1,000 cars. At some point that will not be sustainable without my receiving some sort of direct or indirect compensation to continue.
You obviously know nothing about software! Software costs to create then costs to support. I created a particular suite of software back in 1999; cost me my time and four staff for six months (say $150,000). I used it in my business (now closed) and provided it free to anyone who wanted it. I, with my staff, supported it for 10 years at some large but unknown cost. I have supported if ever since at my cost.
You just don't understand the free software movement. Do you know who Linus Torvalds is? This is called sharing.

You obviously know nothing about software! Software costs to create then costs to support. I created a particular suite of software back in 1999; cost me my time and four staff for six months (say $150,000). I used it in my business (now closed) and provided it free to anyone who wanted it. I, with my staff, supported it for 10 years at some large but unknown cost. I have supported if ever since at my cost.
You just don't understand the free software movement. Do you know who Linus Torvalds is? This is called sharing.
So you disagree with the statement "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price."?

Also please note I never said creating the software is zero cost, I said that the reproduction cost is essentially zero. An important distinction.

So you disagree with the statement "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price."?

Also please note I never said creating the software is zero cost, I said that the reproduction cost is essentially zero. An important distinction.
Support, however, is not zero cost. Unsupported software is worth approximately zero.
Free software may also be a matter of liberty but it is mainly price.

Support, however, is not zero cost. Unsupported software is worth approximately zero.
Free software may also be a matter of liberty but it is mainly price.
I think you will find that it's the inverse: Free Software Foundation; What is free software?

From that link:
“Free software means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis."

There is a distinction between how you license your software and your support model. Many successful businesses are built around the provision of (and being paid handsomely for) support for free software; Red Hat & Canonical come to mind as examples of this.

As per previous statement, software (and other works of copyright) have the rather unique property of being reproducible at an effective cost of zero, whilst more tangible services such as your time (to support said software) are constrained by the laws of physics, the size of your bank account and your personal willingness to provide a service gratis.

So again - Free software is a very different proposition to free electricity.

Really; from free to $10 a month in one step and then charges on top of that?
Do petrol stations charge monthly access fees?
Why don't they do a UBER; create an app, the customer puts their credit card details into the app, then they can pay for the energy used.
In the mean time ACTEWAGL get information on the addressable market and generate leads for people in their home electricity market area.
Instead, with this plan ACTEWAGL have just reduced their market to zero.
I have requested that the EV Team cancel my RFID card and my account. Nice while it lasted but the new prices are simply outrageous.

I think you will find that it's the inverse: Free Software Foundation; What is free software?

From that link:
“Free software means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis."

There is a distinction between how you license your software and your support model. Many successful businesses are built around the provision of (and being paid handsomely for) support for free software; Red Hat & Canonical come to mind as examples of this.

As per previous statement, software (and other works of copyright) have the rather unique property of being reproducible at an effective cost of zero, whilst more tangible services such as your time (to support said software) are constrained by the laws of physics, the size of your bank account and your personal willingness to provide a service gratis.

So again - Free software is a very different proposition to free electricity.
Same thing. I own something that has value and I am prepared to make it available for zero cost. Not hard.

I have been advised that fees apply from Feb.
  • "$10 monthly ongoing access fee, which includes free use of all our level 2 fast charging stations and access to our level 3 rapid charging stations.
  • Use of our level 3 rapid chargers will cost $6 for the first 15 minutes and 35 cents per minute after that.
  • Monthly invoices will be generated and emailed to you on the 1st of the month. The first invoice will be sent to you on 1 March 2017 for the usage in February"

If you charge for one hour and maintain 50 kWs it will cost $21.75 so 43,5 c /kwhr. plus $10 a month. This will be more expensive than WA electric hwy.
I think Ill use Tesla SCs
Too fiddly, isn't it?
I can understand charging for it, but why not use a credit card like un-manned petrol stations do?

Same thing. I own something that has value and I am prepared to make it available for zero cost. Not hard.

OK so back to my original post:

There are only a few ways you get something for free:
- Charity
- Theft
- Marketing/luring

Not sure what argument you are trying to make here. I don't want to presume your motivations but highly likely what you are doing is motivated by being charitable.