Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ACTEW ACT charging fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too fiddly, isn't it?
I can understand charging for it, but why not use a credit card like un-manned petrol stations do?

Definitely right.

Interesting concepts to consider. A lot of the ‘free energy for car charging’ eminates from Tesla’s policy of including Supercharging power costs in the cost of the car. What followed from that was the concept of ‘free’ destination charging, a lure for Tesla drivers to businesses, usually hotels or resorts. It’s easy to see how they can absorb the power costs into the overall spend.

Where I think there needs to be consideration of taking the initiative of seeking out someone to pay are the providers that do not receive any recompense such as regional showgrounds where there’s nobody around to accept payment. That is fiddly as you say.

This became obvious to me recently at Sarina Showgrounds south of Mackay QLD. I started charging, not knowing who to pay. I was thinking about who to pay when a gentleman arrived taking photos of my car. I initially thought he was one of the many regional Tesla fans wanting some pics. He wasn’t. He said he was upset about Tesla drivers not paying for power. I said I really needed to charge up but it wasn’t obvious who to approach to pay. After explaining that I really didn’t want anything for free, he became friendly & told me where to find the caretaker with whom I could leave payment. That was the only place where it wasn’t obvious who to pay.

Pay with PlugShare would be very helpful in these situations although it seems there aren’t any compatible charge points here yet.

Pay with PlugShare

To return to subject ACTEW advises they will look into casual charging for out of territory visitors.

So far they seem to be aiming this at people who regularly use their chargers - maybe on the assumption that local residents will fall into this category. This seems silly, if I lived locally I would have my own HPWC and wouldn't have any need for their chargers.

Reactions: alexeiw123
So far they seem to be aiming this at people who regularly use their chargers - maybe on the assumption that local residents will fall into this category. This seems silly, if I lived locally I would have my own HPWC and wouldn't have any need for their chargers.
I agree it doesn't make sense.
  • If you live in Canberra and have a home charger then you don't need the ActewAGL chargers.
  • If you live in Canberra and don't have a home charger then you will be taking more than $10/month from the ActewAGL chargers.
  • If you live outside Canberra then the monthly fee makes it not worthwhile

Reactions: alexeiw123
I agree it doesn't make sense.
  • If you live in Canberra and have a home charger then you don't need the ActewAGL chargers.
  • If you live in Canberra and don't have a home charger then you will be taking more than $10/month from the ActewAGL chargers.
  • If you live outside Canberra then the monthly fee makes it not worthwhile
Update to ACTEWAGL (Canberra)charging points:-
Rapid chargers now cost $5 per 15 minutes- usually about 45-50Kw- needs the chademo adaptor.
Basically much too expensive at about 45c per kWh and you need to stay and watch the clock.
Fast chargers cost $2 per session and up to 22Kw as they are 3 phase and I have dual chargers in my car so get 100kms per hour.
I have found a couple of the fast chargers and they have a type 2 socket so need the type 2 to type 2 cable from economics.

I suppose it could come in handy for an emergency charge. I'd be happy to a pay a premium then.
A few times I've been needed urgently in Canberra and only charged the bare minimum at Goulburn SC to be able to get back to Goulburn.
If I miscalculated it would take a long time at a destination charger somewhere in Canberra to get back to Goulburn.