Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Action to petition to NHTSA to limit the use of beta FSD on Public Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If NHTSA or any regulatory agency really was concerned about auto safety, all they'd need to do is make cell phone providers disable the phones while moving at greater than 5 mph.
Most of the new auto safety systems would not have been needed prior to the era of socially acceptable distracted driving.
Or make using cell phones illegal while driving. In WA an officer can't even stop you if he sees you driving while holding the cellphone and talking.

Reactions: daktari
Most of you guys are in so much denial.. SMH.
My office is in La Habra, CA about a block away from Brea where the incident (FSD related crash) took place recently. I currently have 10.4 and have witnessed some erratic FSD driving behavior which consist of swerving from one lane to another where I did not have enough time to react. On several occasions, I intervened before a serious head on collisions. I've jotted few places down so if anyone in OC would like to tryout, let me know. Mostly noticeable on Beach Blvd traveling North from I-5.

As for Brea, I can't even list all the surface roads that I had to "hard" intervene, especially on Imperial Hwy near Brea Mall. As more of FSD beta are made available to Tesla owners, I can safely speculate that we will be hearing a lot more in the near future with the news on FSD related accidents. I know I'll get speared for this but this madness has to stop. FSD is no where ready for the prime time and NHTSA needs to regulate and restrict from FSD beta tests on public roads by untrained professionals.

I cannot believe NHTSA would let Tesla get away this far unless they've already been bought out. LOL. It's really simple. If you are the DMV driving instructor, would you let Tesla beta FSD driving performance to a passing grade to earn it's DL? Oh Hell NO..

Tesla can't even fix AP phantom braking so what type of pipe dream that the Tesla Dev can deliver a FSD in near future? I've said this about million times. Current hardware on our Tesla is not optimal to run L3 FSD. Probably with HW6+ and updated additional cameras with sensors enabled.

Whether we like it or not NHTSA restrictions on public beta testing FSD on public road will be enforced much sooner than we can imagine. They'll be on a stand soon enough. If you are a non-believer, just try and have your better half drive the Tesla with FSD enabled and you follow behind. It's like watching a DUI clip. This less than half baked cake (FSD) will eventually get someone killed. It's only a matter of time. ;(
I appreciate your concerns but I don't agree with the consequences/conclusion. It shouldn't be banned but the drivers need to be selected very carefully.

The only thing that car did I was not able to reasonably fast counter/stop is the phantom breaking. I've only seen that on rural highways that FSD consideres City roads..and yeah I guess it's not meant to go 75 yet. In the city the phantom breaking I experience is a bit jerky at times but it's usually <3mph difference.

If you you can't keep control over the lane changes that's a problem and yeah you should probably not use the beta.

Granted I had hardly any drives without interventions so far but that's because I keep FSD on a short leash: If I don't understand why it moves a direction or I'm nit 100% certain that it's safe to do so I don't let it.
So usually I stop it from turning it force it into a lane and then realize what it's trying to do based on gps later. But I'm in control. Not the car.

I also don't use FSD when I'm in a hurry, tried or distracted. I don't eat while using it. I don't have music on for most of it. If I can't supervise it's off.
It's more work to drive with it on than off and that's ok. That's why it's a beta.

Maybe there is a way to measure reaction time... Or a sensor to tell that hands are on the wheel without torque..

How is that at all realistic? There are tons of people in cars that aren't driving. Also, there isn't one agency that is both desiring and capable of doing this.
Forget NHTSA - even state legislatures are afraid of making it a stoppable offence (atleast in WA).

Easy to hit a small number of Tesla owners because Tesla threatens legacy auto & big oil.

OP, lol. People like you are the reason innovation lacks. Tesla does not claim FSD to be perfect. They literally tell you it will do the wrong things at the wrong time. If you want to help Tesla in the development of FSD, then you get into the beta. If you don't like it, then don't opt in. If you don't like FSD, dont purchase it.

Reactions: Sporty and EVNow
Yea these people are always the same type. They don't like something/something is not up to their standards/can't justify the purchase they made so therefore because they feel bad they have to make everyone else that enjoys it feel bad.

Just don't use it an STFU. Im happy to help Tesla progress this system, and understand its flawed, but im super excited to help them progress and see the progress in realtime for something I paid for.

There's so much benefit to self driving and robotaxis local governments are willing to tolerate risks but it's surprising there isn't more oversight and rules. It's a race for FSD success versus society getting FSD beta woke.

Reactions: Sporty
Hi All

If you are a relatively newer Tesla Model 3 or Y owner you are probably no stranger to the horrors of phantom braking caused by Tesla's garbage TACC or "Autopilot". I (like a fool) traded in my 2016 Model S for a "latest and greatest" Model Y only to be horrified by how awful the phantom braking issue is with the new Teslas. Idk how but my '16 MS performed way better on Autopilot than this new car. And just to be clear my '16 Autopilot was FAR from perfect but compared to my MY it was night and day better. My MY slows down or downright slams the brakes for no apparent reason and the problem is horrible on 2 lane state roads and highways. Interstates are slightly better.

Anyway I don't need to belabor the point that this Autopilot/TACC sucks to the point of being dangerous and being an actual safety issue. I mean like I have lost count of the number of times there was someone behind me almost about to rear end because my dear ol dumb fk Model Y decides to slam the brakes for absolutely no reason. It has truly made my wife and kids scream at a few occasions and they have started to hate this new car.

I write this post to therefore REQUEST everyone to either please tweet and/or write to NHTSA and your local state highway authority about it. Enough of us need to make a noise about it because to be honest Tesla/Elon Musk do not seem to be bothered about it nor seem motivated to change anything about this dangerous situation. I have read on reddit and other forums stories of M3 owners from 2-3 years ago who still report of this phantom braking issue staying unresolved. That is just sad and infuriating.

So please I beg you all to kindly take the time and report this issue and talk about it on as many forums as possible and CERTAINLY lodge a complaint with the NHTSA so Tesla finally takes notice and so that our voice makes them uncomfortable enough to own up that their TeslaVision is trash and that something needs to be done about it before more accidents are caused by this system.

Thank you very much for your time and effort with reporting this safety issue.

Special cameras are used to catch drivers using their phone.
The processing is fully automated. Your ticket is sent home.

images

... Which is all a little bit more difficult if you happen to drive a Toyota FJ.

6yvyqnabv0jo.jpg

My office is in La Habra, CA about a block away from Brea where the incident (FSD related crash) took place recently. I currently have 10.4 and have witnessed some erratic FSD driving behavior which consist of swerving from one lane to another where I did not have enough time to react. On several occasions, I intervened before a serious head on collisions. I've jotted few places down so if anyone in OC would like to tryout, let me know. Mostly noticeable on Beach Blvd traveling North from I-5.

As for Brea, I can't even list all the surface roads that I had to "hard" intervene, especially on Imperial Hwy near Brea Mall. As more of FSD beta are made available to Tesla owners, I can safely speculate that we will be hearing a lot more in the near future with the news on FSD related accidents. I know I'll get speared for this but this madness has to stop. FSD is no where ready for the prime time and NHTSA needs to regulate and restrict from FSD beta tests on public roads by untrained professionals.

I cannot believe NHTSA would let Tesla get away this far unless they've already been bought out. LOL. It's really simple. If you are the DMV driving instructor, would you let Tesla beta FSD driving performance to a passing grade to earn it's DL? Oh Hell NO..

Tesla can't even fix AP phantom braking so what type of pipe dream that the Tesla Dev can deliver a FSD in near future? I've said this about million times. Current hardware on our Tesla is not optimal to run L3 FSD. Probably with HW6+ and updated additional cameras with sensors enabled.

Whether we like it or not NHTSA restrictions on public beta testing FSD on public road will be enforced much sooner than we can imagine. They'll be on a stand soon enough. If you are a non-believer, just try and have your better half drive the Tesla with FSD enabled and you follow behind. It's like watching a DUI clip. This less than half baked cake (FSD) will eventually get someone killed. It's only a matter of time. ;(
I appreciate your concern, but you shouldn’t be in the beta program if you expect no mistakes.

Reactions: tonyb99

You’re in the wrong place.

I write this post to therefore REQUEST everyone to either please tweet and/or write to NHTSA and your local state highway authority about it.
OK:

Dear NHTSA, TXDOT, ARDOT, TNDOT and VADOT,

I just drove 1300 miles on Interstates 30, 40, 81 and 66 between Dallas and Washington DC over the course of two days. I had NO false (phantom) braking events during the entirety of this trip using Tesla's FSD "Navigate on Autopilot", (NOA) and what Tesla calls FSD beta 10.8.1.

At no time did my Model 3 Long Range slam on the brakes nearly causing a rear end collision from a tailgating driver. This caused me to waste much of the trip with my right foot resting on the accelerator waiting for the phantom braking events that never materialized. Several months ago, I had experienced many of these events on this exact same route. How could there be so much improvement in such little time?

This MUST be investigated. The internet has proven time after time that Tesla simply cannot make TACC and Autopilot works safely using their camera-only approach. Did Tesla simply disable emergency braking in this heavily used transportation corridor? I'm sure that some of NHTSA employees are familiar with the I66 route near the nations capitol. It's very suspicious that my Tesla could navigate that busy road, at night, without slamming on the brakes multiple times. It's just not credible that the car could do this. The internet has spoken.

Please look into this ASAP. I have to drive back to Dallas at the end of the week and I fear my car will continue this strange behavior.