TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Activating Autopilot and Full self driving after delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JoRey, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Autopilot

1. Activate Autopilot

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Activate Autopilot with Full Self Driving

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Forgo Autopilot

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

Could some current Tesla owners share their experience on activating autopilot after delivery and the total cost you paid to unlock the feature. Do you think that given enough time Tesla will discount the cost to activate the software or will have trial periods as they have had in the past. Assuming that you do not get autopilot will Tesla allow you to use your car in the Tesla Network? How many people are thinking of forgoing autopilot to keep costs low and activating the feature at a later date.

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's just like stock prices which can go up and can go down.

You'll do great if you know how to predict future prices!

My understanding is it's just like Uber network but your car would "generate income for you while you’re at work or on vacation ."

So, without paying both for Autopilot and Self-driving, I don't think your car would qualify.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Not an owner but I've heard people just go to MyTesla, click on the option, put in their payment info, and it's activated within a few hours.

Info on the Tesla Network is completely unknown. You could assume you would need AP activated but no one knows.

4. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

How much more was the Model S to activate Enhanced autopilot AFTER initial purchase? If its a $1000 more i think i would do that later

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Currently each of the options is $1000 more (EAP and FSD) after delivery.

6. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I thought FSD was a given for everyone. But then I realized that it will take at least a few more years for approval (and for Tesla to actually get the capabilities right). I rather pay an extra $1k in the future and have the technology validated rather than spending $3k and not having the features for years.

But best case scenario, the $3k can be reinvested and help "discount" the $1k of marginal cost.

• Love x 1
  7. Gtosnipey

Gtosnipey Member

I'm so glad someone added this thread. I am glad to see the votes so far :) I have been working on what to keep and cut, and for me the advanced autopilot has to go. I'm not sure when we will be technologically ready for it, meaning it could be in 4-5 years. I would rather pay the $1000 extra then, plus who knows what the market will be like then maybe I won't want to activate it and go with a different car.

So saving myself on the $3000 is going to help me chip down at that $9k long range price (also foregoing rim upgrade) and picking up the rest

8. SureValla

SureValla Member

going to be quite a few rides to make up the $8000 for FSD...