TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Active air suspension connected to Home Link?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by svillarrealmd, Aug 30, 2012.

1. svillarrealmd

svillarrealmd Member

I've been wondering if the active air suspension can be synced with the home link option. That way the suspension will automatically raise when pulling up your steep driveway at home.

Any news on this or thoughts?

2. Liz G

Liz G P03056

Maybe they could make it based on GPS. I have a phone app like that which will automatically turn wi-fi on at home and off when I leave.

3. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Yeah would love a way to do this in update. I would to raise the car four times in my 7 mile round commute each day for home and work. A shortcut button would be sweet too in the top bar like where the home link is. Speaking of home link, I'm not a fan of howit's two button presses to activate vs. my quick button now that I don't even have to look to push.

4. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

This would be awesome for me because I've got 7 speed bumps in my neighborhood so will need the suspension at its highest when coming in and out of the area.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I thought the car automatically raised up at low speed anyway. Am I mistaken on this point?

" As Model S accelerates, it lowers the vehicle for optimized aerodynamics and increased range."
    Model S Features | Tesla Motors

It also says you can raise it up for steep driveways. Maybe there's a "normal" mid-position and it adjusts up and down from there.

6. CroDriver

CroDriver Member

Where Nikola Tesla was born... Croatia :)
    Maybe that's not such a good idea. An air-suspension is very stiff on the highest setting. Most cars lower the suspension to normal height as soon as you hit 50 km/h or so.

7. AndyM

AndyM Member

The latest answer from Tesla's reps is that the 2012 version of the Model S will only adjust the air suspension based on highway speed.
    We're not going to get any reliable answer from Tesla on pending features - nor should we. :)

8. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

A few of the bumps are pretty big/tall, so my concern has always been with them hitting the bottom of the car (i.e. the battery pack).

9. svillarrealmd

svillarrealmd Member

SORRY ANDY

From Tesla website:
    "ACTIVE AIR SUSPENSION
    Much more than a great ride and handling package, the active air suspension combines automatic advantages with on-demand features. As Model S accelerates, it lowers the vehicle for optimized aerodynamics and increased range. Use the touchscreen to raise or lower Model S when traversing deep snow or pulling into steep driveways"

All I was asking was if this existing feature would be automated with the already existing Home Link. Seems like a no-brainer to me and a perfect match for many folks. GPS for bumps and other things would be a nice addition, but the meat and potatoes IMO is your own driveway. And this does not require any additional software/hardware. Just connecting the two systems the car already has.

Model S Features | Tesla Motors

10. AndyM

AndyM Member

No apology needed. The actual behavior is that when the car reaches a certain speed (50 mph?) - the suspension lowers. I suppose the web site is technically accurate, because the only way to reach 50 mph is to accelerate.

I should have been more clear in what I said, re-stated here:

"...the 2012 version will only automatically adjust the air suspension based on highway speed. You can manually adjust it when the car is going less than 15 mph."

The feature to automatically adjust based on GPS is a good suggestion - asked, answered, and suggested to Tesla already. :)

This is documented in our growing Model S FAQ. The Air Suspension items are at the top - alphabetically.

11. contaygious

It would never automatically raise to the high setting. That's what I need at home and at work. I see porsches scrape everyday going down the narrow garage driveway.

12. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Everybody tends to forget that the car is supposed to have voice control eventually as well. Once that update comes, hopefully you could just say, "Set suspension height to high" (and, "Open the garage door"), so the only button you'd need to hit would be the one on the wheel to trigger the voice comman.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

And the Model S is quiet enough that it even has a chance of working.

14. contaygious

Good point. Is there a voice button on steering wheel? I saw a phone button, but not a voice one.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I believe that voice commands will come out in a future software release. Right now the software is likely 0.8. It will take a couple of years before it's up to 1.1.

16. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

When Elon demonstrated it in October, he pressed a button on the steering wheel and then said "Play Rolling Stones".

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'd love to see the mods help you make this into a Wiki post on TMC. /nudge

18. AndyM

AndyM Member

#18 AndyM, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Yes. Upper button of the right-hand thumb area.

2E0F544C-7893-4E2E-980C-BD2959A69F8E.JPG FAEA4CE0-B2FB-4DEE-AA41-F4CCB70403D9.JPG

19. contaygious

A rep told me that's how you answer phone calls. Maybe it's both? Or is the phone button on the left? Anyway, can't wait for voice control-would be super helpful for suspension and garage doors.

20. AndyM

AndyM Member

Nope. I slipped in a left-hand wheel photo to my post above. That's just the volume/audio controls over there.