Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active air vs. Smart air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skione65

May 5, 2016
Kentucky
What is the difference between Active Air suspension vs. Smart Air Suspension? I'm looking at the CPOs and some list "Active Air Suspension" and others list "Smart Air Suspension". It's my understanding that the Active air was the first iteration and is not driver 'controllable' i.e. Being able to adjust the ride height via screen, and the Smart Air is Driver adjustable and has the new GPS tie in. Is this right?

Ski

What is the difference between Active Air suspension vs. Smart Air Suspension? I'm looking at the CPOs and some list "Active Air Suspension" and others list "Smart Air Suspension". It's my understanding that the Active air was the first iteration and is not driver 'controllable' i.e. Being able to adjust the ride height via screen, and the Smart Air is Driver adjustable and has the new GPS tie in. Is this right?

Ski

I didn't realize there was any difference. Our S is 2013 and the air suspension remembers places that it needs to raise or lower itself. Additionally, when I pass a speed threshold (which I can set in preferences) it lowers itself. Used to be 65 for default. And now at 100 mph.

I'm 99.44% sure they are actually the same thing with different names. Tesla also changed the name of the Ultra high Fi system a couple of times, I think it was "Sound Studio" at first. Looking at the option codes, I only see one for "Smart Air Suspension" (code: SU01) and nothing for "Active Air Suspension". Do you have a VIN or link that shows "Active Air"?

As Hank states, I believe they are the same and they "all" became "smart' at some point. I'm not 100% on this, but the whole ability to remember the settings via GPS coordinates may have been ADDED via an over the air update at some point.

I didn't realize there was any difference. Our S is 2013 and the air suspension remembers places that it needs to raise or lower itself. Additionally, when I pass a speed threshold (which I can set in preferences) it lowers itself. Used to be 65 for default. And now at 100 mph.
Same here. My 2013 S was one of the first 10,000, and the software updates allowed the geofencing you are describing, as well as the speed threshold for lowering the car.

I'm 99.44% sure they are actually the same thing with different names. Tesla also changed the name of the Ultra high Fi system a couple of times, I think it was "Sound Studio" at first. Looking at the option codes, I only see one for "Smart Air Suspension" (code: SU01) and nothing for "Active Air Suspension". Do you have a VIN or link that shows "Active Air"?

@HankLloydRight,

Yes I did actually see both on different listings....and that peaked my curiosity. I'd have to go through and find the specific VINs. Wasn't sure if it was just a name change like the Sound Studio to UHFS which I was familiar with, or something further.

Ski