TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Active air vs. Smart air Suspension

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Skione65, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Skione65

Skione65 Member

What is the difference between Active Air suspension vs. Smart Air Suspension? I'm looking at the CPOs and some list "Active Air Suspension" and others list "Smart Air Suspension". It's my understanding that the Active air was the first iteration and is not driver 'controllable' i.e. Being able to adjust the ride height via screen, and the Smart Air is Driver adjustable and has the new GPS tie in. Is this right?

Ski

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I didn't realize there was any difference. Our S is 2013 and the air suspension remembers places that it needs to raise or lower itself. Additionally, when I pass a speed threshold (which I can set in preferences) it lowers itself. Used to be 65 for default. And now at 100 mph.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm 99.44% sure they are actually the same thing with different names. Tesla also changed the name of the Ultra high Fi system a couple of times, I think it was "Sound Studio" at first. Looking at the option codes, I only see one for "Smart Air Suspension" (code: SU01) and nothing for "Active Air Suspension". Do you have a VIN or link that shows "Active Air"?

4. cab

cab Member

As Hank states, I believe they are the same and they "all" became "smart' at some point. I'm not 100% on this, but the whole ability to remember the settings via GPS coordinates may have been ADDED via an over the air update at some point.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, the GPS part came later.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

HankFloydRight +1, It sounds like someone at TM just used the wrong word in the description.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Likely -- but if the cars are listed on Tesla's CPO site, the option descriptions are all driven by the option codes on the car itself. If it was anything else, yeah, someone is getting the names confused.

8. blc1017

blc1017 Member

Same here. My 2013 S was one of the first 10,000, and the software updates allowed the geofencing you are describing, as well as the speed threshold for lowering the car.

9. Boourns

Boourns Member

Same here. My VIN is in the mid 2000s and I have the "smart" functionality. Though I got it used, so it has always worked that way for me.

10. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@HankLloydRight,

Yes I did actually see both on different listings....and that peaked my curiosity. I'd have to go through and find the specific VINs. Wasn't sure if it was just a name change like the Sound Studio to UHFS which I was familiar with, or something further.

Ski