Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Air vs. Standard Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• spring front.jpg
    spring front.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 3,614
  • spring rear.jpg
    spring rear.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 3,637
Rolling resistance is key when tiring an EV.

I think tire choice was one area where Tesla chose performance and driving experience over efficiency. The car was meant to be fun to drive. Putting LRR tires with hard compound, light wheels, and narrow width would have raised range but compromised handling.

There are Grand Touring tires out there, like Michelin Primacy MXV4, that are available with LRR. I don't know if they are available in the appropriate size for Model S.

Could anyone with the standard suspension measure how much ground clearance it has? Is it 5,5 inches - 6,5 inches maybe?
And have anyone tried it with people and luggage on board? From the description of the firm ride, it sounds like it shouldn't sag or anything. Even with extra load in it. Can someone confirm? :smile:

Could anyone with the standard suspension measure how much ground clearance it has? Is it 5,5 inches - 6,5 inches maybe?

I'm curious as well. From the photos it looks like the standard suspension sets slightly higher than the air suspension in "standard" height. That would be a plus for some, as I bottom on going down steep parking garage ramps with the air suspension on "standard" height.

My Model S is a S95 and has 19" wheels and Air Suspension. While my car is in service I have been given a loaner P85 with 21" wheels and standard suspension. The following is my husbands and my observations.

1. Loaner car appears to sit higher than mine
2. Loaner car 'bounces' more when going over a rough road than mine
3. Loaner car doesn't feel as planted when you hit the gas
4. Wh/m appears to be higher than mine over same route
5. Loaner car the tail feels 'loose' at freeway speeds especially when turning or changing lanes.

Now I know this isn't a true comparison of equals, but from our observations the P85 definitely benefits form the active air and I am glad my car has it.

My Model S is a S95 and has 19" wheels and Air Suspension. While my car is in service I have been given a loaner P85 with 21" wheels and standard suspension. The following is my husbands and my observations.

1. Loaner car appears to sit higher than mine
2. Loaner car 'bounces' more when going over a rough road than mine
3. Loaner car doesn't feel as planted when you hit the gas
4. Wh/m appears to be higher than mine over same route
5. Loaner car the tail feels 'loose' at freeway speeds especially when turning or changing lanes.

Now I know this isn't a true comparison of equals, but from our observations the P85 definitely benefits form the active air and I am glad my car has it.

you are comparing different tires, which is most significant aspect of handling.
as per your #5, "loose" is a good thing, means less understeer, which Tesla S has a ton of....

most important of all.....not sure how you got a loaner P85 with standard suspension (didn't know those existed).......I believe you got a loaner P85 / active air...
so what you described #1 to #5 is just the difference in wheels/tires, what you described (except for #1) are characteristics of "performance" tires.

Last edited:
I'd appreciate some advice on which suspension to select. Here is my situation:

I test drove two Model Ss today, one with the air suspension and one without. I tried local roads and the highway, and could not tell any difference in bumpiness or bounces. Accordingly, my instinct is to pass on the air suspension.

However, there are two things that still have me wondering:
1) The roads we drove on were in pretty good condition. Not without bumps, but nothing dirt and no significant potholes. The roads I live near are not as well maintained.
2) It is not unusual for us to have the car loaded down with four people and a roof box full of skis, camping gear, etc. I wonder if the air suspension might be more of a winner in this situation because it can be adjust relative to the load in the car.

If the air suspension will make a big difference in these situations, I will consider it. I've never had anything nicer than a Subaru so I have no firsthand experience here. Appreciate any guidance that you all have to offer.

In general, those who like sporty driving or are concerned about maintenance costs get coils, those who want a smoother ride over rough roads or go over sharp driveway/parking lot angles get air. I don't recall any posts regarding air and loads although there probably are a few.

With either, get the 19" tires.

I have 33,000 miles of driving experience on air and almost 5,000 miles on coils.

The coils are definitely more harsh. Standard bumps in the road are noticable. The coils give a tighter, sportier feeling to the car, and improve handling some, but the increased bumpiness is certainly noticeable.

As for auto leveling, I feel like the coils are stiff enough that I can't imagine the car easily being all crooked from uneven loads. Personally, I think auto-leveling is not worth it.

As for ride height, the coils ride slightly higher than the air's "normal" setting. I scraped bottom maybe 5 times in my air, and it's never happened with coils. The coils generally ride high enough that ride height is not an issue.

As for looks, It's all personal taste but the air rides lower...looks cooler in my opinion.

Coils will be less maintenance cost, although I've only heard of one person even remotely having an issue with their air suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

In general, those who like sporty driving or are concerned about maintenance costs get coils, those who want a smoother ride over rough roads or go over sharp driveway/parking lot angles get air. I don't recall any posts regarding air and loads although there probably are a few.

With either, get the 19" tires.
Or 20s :).