TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Active noise reduction

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Phillip L, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

There is an advertisement on TV for the GMC Denali with active noise cancellation of the engine noise. I have used noise cancellation headphones to walk to work for many years. I really like them. They work best for the medium range frequencies, like the road noise inside my Tesla S. I would think that it would be an excellent option to have available since the quietness of my model S is one of the prime features I love about it. Personally, any option that made my Model S even more quiet I would be interested in. Any thoughts?

• Like x 1
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Maybe rather than installing noise canceling equipment they should just eliminate the source of the noise by going electric. :)

3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

My thought is it's a great idea if it can be done and I've hoped for it for some time. In the mean time I just bought a pair of Bose active noise cancellation earbuds and they're fabulous.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

To me the Tesla needs active noise cancelation of noise sources you wish to diminish.

You wish to diminish tire noise then enable that.
    You wish to diminish wind noise then enable that.
    You wish to diminish the noise from your kids then enable that.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

Tire noise is very dependent on the road surface. I have driven on new black asphalt and the car has been so quiet you could hear a pit drop. On rough concrete there is a lot of noise. These are not amenable to any modifications short of active or passive noise reduction. I know that active noise reduction does work.

6. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

I would envision an active noise reduction unit in the ceiling close to the head of the driver and passenger. It could be easily turned off and on like any good noise reduction headphones. And it need not be really expensive, there are good headphones that are quite inexpensive, and Tesla would have big advantages of magnitude of scale in keeping the price down. Or I could see them advertising the option of Bose brand noise reduction, with their high brand recognition, for a reasonable cost.

7. SDRick

SDRick Member

I am on board with any method to bring interior noise levels down. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most other luxury cars have a slightly lower interior DB level at highway speeds. This is somewhat counterintuitive as the Tesla is missing all the inherent ICE noises and exhaust notes.

• Like x 1
  8. Ohji

Ohji Member

I would greatly welcome any sort of active noise cancellation!! I don't have my Model S yet, but some of the highways in Portland are absolutely horrible with regards to noise. Bose is releasing a set of wireless earbuds this month (the Quiet control 30s), and they will have selectable levels of noise reduction, so it won't be noise reduction on/off -- the degree of noise cancellationwill be variable on a scale from 1-10.

I am thinking of wearing them and setting an intermediate level of noise reduction and trying them in the car. I would just use them for noise cancelling and not play any music or audio through them. I checked, and it is not illegal to drive with earphones in Oregon, but I want to try it out and make sure I can still hear well enough to drive safely. I don't have much experience with active noise cancelling headphones, but it sounds like they mainly reduce constant background noise (engine noise, tire roar, etc) and things like sirens, horns, etc should not be muted very much.

It would be so nice if Tesla would include this as a feature!

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

I think you missed one: Drive unit noise! lol

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

In my 70D it isn't bad, and I like the little whirl when I speed up. But, who knows if that will remain the same.

I absolutely hate the road noise especially over certain types of roads. When I get new tires I'm definitely going to go with the foam insulated ones.

11. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

I doubt you want to reduce the noise emergency and police vehicles make. They are very big and run red lights.

12. HookBill

HookBill Member

Tesla could offer this one as a stand-along option and make a ton of money off of it. :)

• Like x 1
  13. iffatall

iffatall Member

I read somewhere that active noise cancelling is difficult in a car technically (although it can still be an advertising gimmick), because the active cancelling noise that the speaker generates can only really cancel the noise for one point in space. The same cancelling noise can become additive at a different point in space. In other words, it is hard to cancel noise for all passengers in the car at the same time. It can be done theoretically, but needs very complex speaker and mic systems.

It is possible easier to use noise absorbing materials to dampen the road/wind noise.

• Informative x 2
  14. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

Hilarious when you consider BMW does literally the exact opposite thing on its M models - they pipe in fake engine noise through the speakers to make it louder. Everything in the lineup is now turbo and sounds awful (from an ICE perspective) so they just...added fake, better sounding engine noises! Brilliant!

15. sorka

sorka Active Member

As the technology progresses, it will be possible to cancel out more and more noise with less and less passive material which will provide a significant weight savings in the future.

16. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

These technologies would never be effective in those cases. For one, they do not work well at higher frequencies and would come nowhere close to muffling such high decibel noises.

17. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

That's why I thought they would need to be placed close to the ears of the passengers, possibly in the headrests or the ceiling just above the head. But you may be right about it being technically difficult. In the GMC ad (correction ... which I mistakenly said was a Denali, when the ad was for the GMC Sierra) its specifically says it is to decrease engine noise which means it is probably placed close to the engine.

18. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

A while back on another thread there was a fairly extensive discussion about how quiet Teslas are or aren't. There was a nice
    graph showing the various sources of noise in cars, vs. speed, and the interior noise level for various cars. The bottom line is
    that Teslas are quieter than most other cars at low speeds, where mechanical noise dominates, but louder than most "premium"
    cars from highway speeds on up, where road and wind noise dominate. The fact that other cars are quieter proves that there
    are some things you can do about that sort of noise.

I would think the multitudinous speakers in the UHFS system would allow for some fairly fancy noise cancelling tricks, but it'd be
    a big step forward to just be able to do it for the driver.

But, really, let's step back to reality here: we're talking about the $100k car, with the $5k premium sound system, that does't
    even have the decade-old capability to tie the audio volume to vehicle speed (which is a rough proxy for noise level). Cart... horse...

19. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

There is still so much improvement possible for passive noise cancelling. Look at Lexus or the new Mercedes E class. Tesla can, and has to, do so much better as it wants to be seen as a premium product..

20. xborg

xborg Member

or wear your noise cancelling headphones while driving? problem solved.

oops, don't do that, it's a joke. Hence I'm thrilled by some cyclist wearing huge headphones while riding.