Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Road Noise Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm on the return leg of my road trip. I tested the ARNC yesterday after the 2021.44.6 update and now I do actually hear a difference. It's small, but it's there. What I can't tell you is if there has actually been a change to the ARNC due to this update, because the road I tested on before (with 44.5) was freshly paved. The road where I heard the difference produced a low rumble in the tires, such as something like rumble strips, and I believe that low-frequency noise is right in ANC's wheel house.

When I flipped the switch, the rumble was reduced a bit. It's a start, but nothing to write home about. I guess it just stays on, and we hope there isn't a bug introduced that amplifies the noise instead of reducing it...

I wouldn’t get too excited about it. I just got it and tried it out.

I expected it would work well (and only on) certain low frequencies. And it does.

But there are a lot of people expecting “full range” noise cancellation. Doesn’t do that at all.

I would characterize the frequencies it does work on as the low hollow echo sound that tires make at speed. That sounds doesn’t happen on all road surfaces. When it’s there, noticeable when ARNR is on or off. Not life changing but I appreciate it.

Just tried it. Didn’t realize it came with 2021.40. It was in the release note’s. Tested with a dba meter in the car. No difference in Dba’s Super disappointed. I actually think my road noise has gotten louder since I bought it. I have 2021 LR with 4500 miles on it and I have 21” tires. Just checked the air pressure and I’m running 2-3 psi’s lower ( 37-38 psi )than what is recommended (40)Maybe that could make a small difference. I’ll try putting them at 41 but I doubt I’ll hear a difference. Maybe 19” tires would be quieter. Anybody know?

With this turned on the other day I noticed a nasty hum, sounded like mic feedback and was actually making a tire noise much worse on certain roads. If I didn't know about this new feature and to try turning it off I probably would have thought there was a serious mechanical issue going on...

Initial drive on streets around town only -- could not notice any difference. I turned the setting on and off, and I leaned forward and back in the seat several times. If it was doing anything, I couldn't notice. I will see how it goes on a highway drive next.

Izolman: Yep.

Received 44.25.2 on Christmas day.
700 mile drive on mixed high speed roads since then.

On rough asphalt at 75 or so the attenuation of l f rumble is quite noticeable - my guess is 3 dB. Significant.
No discernible change in mid range or higher frequency noise.

On smoother roads and other pavement (like "singing" grooves or similar) - no noticeable change.

Good first attempt. Wonder how much work it took to get to this point.

I expect improvements at higher frequencies with future updates.
Naive maybe. We'll see.

Posted this on another similar thread in the forum. I have a PIREP for those getting ANR as an observation. I was driving home from work last night and heard a very audible low frequency rumble that made me think that my front left mud flap had come loose and was rubbing on the tire. It was that loud. For fun, I turned off the ANR and it disappeared. For sure the ANR has bugs. I am sure what I was hearing was the audio that the car generates to negate the actual road noise however it was not perfectly synchronized with the road noise so it was not cancelling, it was adding to it. On the next drive the problem was gone. I put this out there for the ANR pioneers so that if all of a sudden you are hearing a loud rumble that will clearly get your attention, toggle the ANR OFF as that is probably the problem. For sure it is doing something.... and probably not fully shaken out....

For sure this is working at the low frequency as in tire/road noise and not affecting ambient noise such as other vehicles, horns, wind noise etc. Another owner reported the same 'out of sync' situation I am reporting and I see in an earlier posting from @sbradbury about a 'nasty hum' and I think this is what this is. It has happened twice and is gone the next time I drive the car. It is a WIP.