Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Active Torque Vectoring Coming in Model 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the newly posted Model 3 Performance review from Automobile (Quick Drive: Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD):

"Go to the throttle smoothly on a fast corner exit and you’ll feel the lack of a true limited-slip differential as the inside rear tire lights up momentarily, before the new in-house Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC—previously a supplier-sourced component) kicks in, grabs the brake, and forces the power to the outside wheel. Tesla says there’s an upgrade coming that will enhance this behavior by using active torque vectoring rather than the brakes to improve spirited (or track) driving performance. This new unofficial track mode is in development now, and not yet scheduled for release, but Tesla hopes to offer it to customers in the coming months.

While it's exciting news for enthusiasts if it turns out to be true, I'm not sure how they would pull off active torque vectoring with the open-diff design of Tesla's drive units. Anyone have further insight into this?

Reactions: e-FTW
Game changing if true. Would be crazy cool if power and/or regen could be asymmetrically distributed between left and right. But I’m skeptical as that would imply new and different hardware, something Tesla has been trying to avoid during production ramp up.

Game changing if true. Would be crazy cool if power and/or regen could be asymmetrically distributed between left and right. But I’m skeptical as that would imply new and different hardware, something Tesla has been trying to avoid during production ramp up.
Yeah, we need new unannounced hardware for that. Or two independent rear motors, so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While it's exciting news for enthusiasts if it turns out to be true, I'm not sure how they would pull off active torque vectoring with the open-diff design of Tesla's drive units. Anyone have further insight into this?
They wouldn't. I suppose it's possible they put in an electronically controlled differential and just haven't implemented the code. But they're probably just talking about improving the performance of the brake based limited slip.

But they're probably just talking about improving the performance of the brake based limited slip.
Maybe they have enough power to spare to make it not suck, even? McClaren managed to make it work, but they had almost exactly double the HP to play with.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need the Performance Upgrade for it, too. So you don't eat the standard brakes up because this'll put huge amounts of energy (heat) into the brake pads/disks.

Maybe they have enough power to spare to make it not suck, even? McClaren managed to make it work, but they had almost exactly double the HP to play with.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need the Performance Upgrade for it, too. So you don't eat the standard brakes up because this'll put huge amounts of energy (heat) into the brake pads/disks.
McLaren also has carbon ceramic brakes. I’m sure there’s a lot of room for improvement in the current system though.

Very good point about needing higher performance rear brakes in order for this to truly be effective for track driving. Based on what I'm seeing in some of the early M3P drives, it appears as though the rear brakes are especially beefy when compared to the standard Model 3, I think it's a good guess that Tesla is going the same open-diff route as McLaren
upload_2018-7-24_22-12-44.png

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

What hardware would be needed to implement asymmetrical regeneration based on steering input and motion sensors already in the car?

What hardware would be needed to implement asymmetrical regeneration based on steering input and motion sensors already in the car?
Two rear motors. It will be in the new roadster. And maybe the Model 4 :p
It doesn’t seem like it would cost that much more since the motors could be half the size but I guess it would be silly for a mass market car.

Two rear motors. It will be in the new roadster. And maybe the Model 4 :p
It doesn’t seem like it would cost that much more since the motors could be half the size but I guess it would be silly for a mass market car.
It also can be implemented within a [rather mechanically complex] differential. But it’d need to be something different than the RWD drive unit, this isn’t something easily missed on inspection.

I though that active torque vectoring either requires 4 motors, or two motors with a special differential. Not something they put in all AWD models? Rimac does this in their supercars with a special differential on eachmotor set
Rimac All Wheel Torque Vectoring | Rimac Automobili

That's my understanding as well. Simulating ATV with brakes may help performance on the track, but will wreak havoc on the pads and rotors.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Simulating ATV with brakes may help performance on the track, but will wreak havoc on the pads and rotors.
"Wreak havoc" if you don't size them appropriately.

The key is to make sure your brakes can take the sizable amount of extra use. Because of the physics of how they work, you end up putting a lot of energy through the motor straight into the inside track wheel's brake pads & disk, which immediately gets converted into heat. If your brakes aren't up to that extra energy input bad things happen. Your brakes will start fading, pads/disk wears very quickly, etc. However if your pads & disks are up to it then it'll be something of an ok outcome.

It's quite likely it'll still be more brake usage than normal, and thus a lot more wear, but we are talking "track mode" which is normally an environment that implies heavier than normal wear, anyway. A couple things will help, first Tesla boosting regen strength in the mode, to take some of the typical de-acceleration load off the friction brakes. Second, the vectoring usage would focus (mostly?) on the rear wheels. Rear wheels tend to shoulder less of the work with de-acceleration braking, so normally are smaller than the front. By simply sizing the rear the same as the front you already have an inherent cushion for use of [rear] brake-based vectoring.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Very good point about needing higher performance rear brakes in order for this to truly be effective for track driving. Based on what I'm seeing in some of the early M3P drives, it appears as though the rear brakes are especially beefy when compared to the standard Model 3, I think it's a good guess that Tesla is going the same open-diff route as McLaren
View attachment 320029

I thought the rear rotors where supposed to be the same size as the base model 3 but with two piece rotors.