Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual 0-60 performance of the S85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 85D and I own a vbox which uses GPS to measure perforamnce and is genereally considered a pretty accurate device.

I'm not a pro driver or experienced drag racer but the best time I can get is about 4.2s on the 0-60. More often more like 4.4s, which seems to be in line with what Tesla had advertised.

I see on here and in a few other places people quoting 3.8 and 3.85 on an S85D for 0-60. Is this for real? I wonder how their achieved it?

What's the real story?

I'm curious about this as well. I've tried a couple ways to get a 0-60 on my 90D (no P).

PowerTools gave me 4.5 seconds for 0-61. That's got up to 0.25 seconds extra on each end from timing resolution. When I put it into Excel and took a linear estimate for 0 and 60, that brought the total time down to about 4.2 seconds. Unfortunately, I was only at 46% SOC. I need to run again with a higher charge.

I've also tried the "film the speedometer" method, and got 3.9 seconds at 70% SOC. Because speedometers tend to display high, the real time would be slightly slower.

Neither of my methods is very accurate, or does fanciness like 1' rollout, but it's right around the 4.2 that they quote for my model.

I'm curious about this as well. I've tried a couple ways to get a 0-60 on my 90D (no P).

PowerTools gave me 4.5 seconds for 0-61. That's got up to 0.25 seconds extra on each end from timing resolution. When I put it into Excel and took a linear estimate for 0 and 60, that brought the total time down to about 4.2 seconds. Unfortunately, I was only at 46% SOC. I need to run again with a higher charge.

I've also tried the "film the speedometer" method, and got 3.9 seconds at 70% SOC. Because speedometers tend to display high, the real time would be slightly slower.

Neither of my methods is very accurate, or does fanciness like 1' rollout, but it's right around the 4.2 that they quote for my model.

Interesting finds - I know the SOC is a big deal on the performance models but does it make a difference the regular D models?

Interesting finds - I know the SOC is a big deal on the performance models but does it make a difference the regular D models?

Yes, I believe it does. My "butt dyno" can definitely tell the difference between 100% SOC and 50% SOC on a launch.

Best 0-60 times I've been able to get on my 85D (using PerfExpert, an Android app), are about 4.2-4.3 at near 100% SOC.

P85/P85+ gets about 3.9, they're slightly more powerful than the 85D.

You might be right - I often charge at work (to 80% or so) and when I hop in after work it seems especially snappy, but I had just written it up as being away from the car fo the day and expecting the traditional car experience.

Wonder if anyone on the forums has some data on such?

I believe the 0-60 time you're referring to came from this thread here on TMC, and the linked YouTube video:

Model S 85D Drag Tested 28 Times

Just FYI, the person who made that video got the 0-60 data from filming the instrument cluster and measuring the number of video frames from last frame of "0 MPH" to first frame of "60 MPH". This is fairly inaccurate because the speedometer isn't that accurate in the dynamic sense.

You really need a VBox or some other dedicated testing hardware to get accurate 0-60 times.

Just FYI, the person who made that video got the 0-60 data from filming the instrument cluster and measuring the number of video frames from last frame of "0 MPH" to first frame of "60 MPH". This is fairly inaccurate because the speedometer isn't that accurate in the dynamic sense.

You really need a VBox or some other dedicated testing hardware to get accurate 0-60 times.

Ah that's interesting...I didn't know how they got the timing data but assumed they had something with reasonable accuracy. You're right, filming the IC isn't a great way to do it, not that I've ever tried doing anything of the sort.

Bruce.

What no love for us 70D owners? We're good for 5.3 to 5.2....That's nothing to sneeze at!!

Too true, in reality there are very few cars that can relaibly achieve even this performance.

However when you consider that the P90D/P100D accelerates literally twice as hard as the 70D you realise just how extraordinarily fast those cars are.

I tend to view my 85D as about as quick as a new BMW M3 (ahem might have checked this out on the odd occasion), in fact somewhat quicker from a standstill. Not exactly shabby.

There are people that buy Z06 Vettes and those that buy entry level model Vettes. There is a 50k swing on the price point too. So, people that want the power will pay for it. The 85D /P85 is impressive for a 4 door sedan that is heavy. The higher end P models are crazy fast for what they are though do die out after the 1/4 which is when ICE high HP cars come in.

I am and always will be a power guy.

Reactions: Newport Ryan
To those with experience launching the P85/P85+, how are you able to get a consistent launch and favorable times?

I haven't gotten around to actually clocking the 0-60 time on my P85+ (any recommendations besides dropping cash on a v-box? I've read using your Android phone is inadequate due to the slow GPS refresh rates). Every time I step on the go pedal hard from a stop or slow roll, the rear tires break traction easily...the TC is good at catching this but I doubt I can get reliable times this way. The S85 loaner I had was very easy in this regard, just jam on the pedal and hold on. Curious what others RWD P owners have tried.

I've read using your Android phone is inadequate due to the slow GPS refresh rates.

Not all Android phones are created equal. Some have faster GPS refresh rates than others, although none are as fast as a VBox.

PerfExpert which I mentioned above does not use GPS for it's calculations, it uses the accelerometers in the phone to back-calculate the 0-60 time. The accelerometers can be polled 20x as fast as VBox polls GPS.

• Informative
Reactions: Randaddy
The 4.2 second 0-60 times are without the one foot rollout. With the one foot rollout that time drops to 3.9. The software that comes with the vbox will not use the one foot rollout.

Upload your vbox data file to vboxtools.com and it will give you both 0-60 time. The 85D is just as fast as the P85 from 0 to 60.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD
Out of curiosity, what is the best way to achieve fastest time on non P cars? I have a 13 s85
Do you mash the go pedal without creep and braking
Mash pedal with creep no braking
Or brake and go pedal for a second and release the brake pedal to simulate a manual launch mode?
Or other?

o_OExcuse my ignorance on this thread and the link/video bmah posted ..........but if understand correctly............are the actual Tesla published 0-60 times for CPO's 85D (non-P) incorrect?..........and if they are incorrect; is it from software updates bumping up the performance of the CPO's 85D (non-P)?
-
(Being a noob with several months researching; I'm still left scratching my head at some of this stuff)o_O