Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual capacity used traveling from ~Fremont bridge to Mt Hood Meadows OR and back round trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to know what peoples Actual Observed capacity utilized to get to Mount Hood Meadows and back in Cold weather is? From the Fremont Bridge to MHM, it is ~70 Miles travel, ~140 Miles round trip.
Is there possibly a better metric to ask this question with, to get an actual observed point to point real life range estimate?

On my specific trip, I have to Add an extra ~30 Miles to the Fremont Bridge, as well as ~30 Miles back for a total round trip ~200 Miles.

How much capacity would typically be utilized on that specific trip considering the Elevation changes and the proclivity to be Very Cold at times, as well as I would assume losses from rolling on snow/slush/packed powder sometimes may further decrease range?

Would a RWD M3 be able to do that 200 Mile trip with the elevation change and Very cold weather when it is ~0*F at times?

How might a LR/Performance M3/MY perform traveling that exact path in comparison with the added extra range to cope with temperature and elevation?

ABRP estimates 25% remaining capacity on the full round trip when starting from a full charge with a RWD/SR+... Can I trust this estimate while planning?

Possible anyone that drives ~this exact path could give some first hand feedback with the varying road conditions and travel speeds?

Understanding there are SC avalible on that specific path, strictly curious to know Actual Real consumption figures to understand these better.

For my 2019 M3P- at that temperature, I make 150 miles my maximum theoretical range. But the specifics make a big difference, the degree and frequency of elevation changes, wind, and most important of all speed. I drive my commute here in Montana 150 miles at 85 mph, interstate with speed limit 80. At neg degrees Fahrenheit the efficiency suffers significantly. Speed, wind (meaning resistance), and temp are the big factors. 85 mph under any conditions is very inefficient. Below zero degrees F I have to slow down. I do not, however, know your roads.

Reactions: rotarypower101
Highly variable based on conditions. Since you discussed winter temps, I’m assuming that you are interested in skiing. I would just stop in Burlington for coffee on the way up, and a burger on the way back, so that you’re full of juice. One data point: January 1982, I experienced a blinding rain from North Bend to Lake Samish. Then, climbing that “little hill” in to Bellingham that rain turned into a foot of snow in less than a mile. Absolute mess, 10 mph, roads packed with heavy, heavy snow. Lucky for me I was in a high clearance vehicle and stopping there instead driving to Mnt. Baker. Under such conditions, you might not make 50 mi on a full battery. Remember, Mt. Baker recorded 110 FEET of snow one year (early 1990s). Summer, easy, of course.

Highly variable based on conditions. Since you discussed winter temps, I’m assuming that you are interested in skiing. I would just stop in Burlington for coffee on the way up, and a burger on the way back, so that you’re full of juice. One data point: January 1982, I experienced a blinding rain from North Bend to Lake Samish. Then, climbing that “little hill” in to Bellingham that rain turned into a foot of snow in less than a mile. Absolute mess, 10 mph, roads packed with heavy, heavy snow. Lucky for me I was in a high clearance vehicle and stopping there instead driving to Mnt. Baker. Under such conditions, you might not make 50 mi on a full battery. Remember, Mt. Baker recorded 110 FEET of snow one year (early 1990s). Summer, easy, of course.
Completely understand that it is Highly variable.

But I am explicitly looking for real data points of an actual constrained trip and description of conditions if possible, preferably in difficult conditions to get an understanding of worst case and have a build in a buffer when not as cold.

Yes thinking about getting one, and high on the list is that it Needs to be able to do that trip with high proficiency, or at least that's the hope...

And the only way I can think to know with any certainty is to explicitly ask for feedback on that specific trip or one that can be ~comparable, as I am sure there are plenty of local Portland Oregon area people that have traveled nearly that exact path seasonally, and with any luck they might leave some actual data and feedback on what they observe, how they drive, and what kind of buffer there is on a no extra stops round trip A>B>A.

Last edited:
BTW, absolutely adore Baker! Its been a while but we would spend a week camping in the parking lot up there almost every year! There in the late 90s when they were setting records.

When it is hitting at Baker there is just no place like it! Riding at chest depth, not embellishing, is just unreal ! Hope to have another day like that at some point!

So knowing Baker and how that road is I can appreciate just how difficult it can be at times.

Mt Hood has nearly always been a cake walk, even the absolute worst storms there they keep the roads passable even with a passenger vehicle like this with very little natural ground clearance. We ride just about every week, and multiple times a week when conditions are good (we are always there for the biggest storms), and there are only a handful of times it was ever questionable in a AWD rig with decent snow tires, have chains but never even have to pull them out, not once. So props to the crews up there.

Which leads me to the thought of camping in the back of a MY... On certain big multiple day storms might be fun to do despite the inconvenience. Nothing like rolling out of bed and immediately riding a great day all over again.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I've driven up in winter in my LR M3 to stay at Timberline Lodge. I never gave range a second thought. Probably charged to 80% or 90% before going. This was in snow, and I also stopped at Government Camp to eat. You know going downhill you will recoup mileage? In my Volt I ended up with nearly the same battery percent in summer when I got back home as when I left! The Tesla is not nearly as efficient when idling downhill (it seems to be impossible to hypermile a Tesla since it appears to use a lot of energy just being on). The cold will eat up about 33% of your summer range.

You know there is a supercharger in Sandy, and chargers across from Government camp if you have an adaptor for non-Tesla chargers.

You know there is a supercharger in Sandy, and chargers across from Government camp if you have an adaptor for non-Tesla chargers.
Yes, always a great safety net as the sparse current network is built out.

Explicitly hoping to understand that trip as a A>B>A nonstop, and what it takes in difficult conditions.

How many miles round trip did you travel, and what was you finishing range/capacity left over?

Ideally, you could plug into a J1772 connector while you are skiing. PlugShare shows one at Skibowl. Problem is if being used or broken.
As an example of how to do it right, Crystal Mt lodge ski area at Mt Rainier has 8 J1772 chargers! Stayed overnight at the hotel and had a full battery by the time we left, for no extra charge.

Well, if you're trying to decide between the standard range and long range, you need to get the long range. The advertised Tesla range is bullshit marketing. After 35,000 miles my range has dropped from the advertised 322 to 285. So the 272 mi RWD is really a 240 mi car. Then, if it's snowing you need all-wheel drive. Even though other cars and trucks were in ditches when I went, it's not a piece of cake driving there and I had to be very careful in the AWD with new stock tires. I now switch to winter tires. Also, if you don't have all-wheel drive, you'll have to chain up per the letter of the law at times while with the AWD you won't.

I didn't pay attention to my range since I have the AWD, so again, get the long range AWD. So let's say it's a 200 mi trip for you, minus 33% for the cold, plus getting back 10% for the downhill, means you need 200 mi plus 23% which equals 246 mi needed, and the rear wheel drive as I said is only a 240 mi car, which means you will likely need to charge to make it. And this takes into account you turn off Sentry mode and don't preheat your car before you head back down, as these will use up more mileage.

Well, if you're trying to decide between the standard range and long range, you need to get the long range. The advertised Tesla range is bullshit marketing. After 35,000 miles my range has dropped from the advertised 322 to 285. So the 272 mi RWD is really a 240 mi car. Then, if it's snowing you need all-wheel drive. Even though other cars and trucks were in ditches when I went, it's not a piece of cake driving there and I had to be very careful in the AWD with new stock tires. I now switch to winter tires. Also, if you don't have all-wheel drive, you'll have to chain up per the letter of the law at times while with the AWD you won't.

I didn't pay attention to my range since I have the AWD, so again, get the long range AWD. So let's say it's a 200 mi trip for you, minus 33% for the cold, plus getting back 10% for the downhill, means you need 200 mi plus 23% which equals 246 mi needed, and the rear wheel drive as I said is only a 240 mi car, which means you will likely need to charge to make it. And this takes into account you turn off Sentry mode and don't preheat your car before you head back down, as these will use up more mileage.
Yeah, it was always the only choice far a myriad of reason. Was just using the RWD/SR+ as a example that Im trying to do my homework, and resources like ABRP says its "easily" possible to make that 200 mile trip with ~25% to spare...which was never going to happen unless optimized conditions I think.

However a LR or a Performance even with very cold temperatures seems like a 200 mile trip up there in the cold is feasible, given the vehicle is completely preheated and topped off right before leaving? Possibly even allowing going with the fast lane flow of traffic? But there are always other loss factors to consider that compound range loss, which is why I'm hoping to get real unambiguous feedback in the cold and mostly while driving in the snow.

On the trip back the car will certainly cold soak after ~10-12 hours of riding as it sits in sub freezing and windy conditions. Then losses from preheating before departing.

The whole exercise is to Not spend any time loitering at a charger if possible, even if all it would require is a quick splash and dash with a preconditioned warm pack and low capacity.

Can a direct shot and back to MHM covering ~200 miles round trip in extreme cold on a LR happen, and what reserve capacity would we likely have for side quests when needed or required without charging inbetween?

Last edited:
I went up to Timberline from St. Johns and back, during a bad ice storm when it was probably 15F at night, and I didn't worry about charging to more than 90% and may have even been as low as 80% when I started. Cars were stuck going up to Timberline, and while waiting for them to be pushed off the road, my car started slipping backward down the mountain that's how slippery it was. So I drove off the slick road into the grass beside the road and went around them. So this trip is a piece of cake in a long range charged to 90%. Don't forget you have control - you can turn off the heat, go slower, charge, etc.

I went up to Timberline from St. Johns and back, during a bad ice storm when it was probably 15F at night, and I didn't worry about charging to more than 90% and may have even been as low as 80% when I started. Cars were stuck going up to Timberline, and while waiting for them to be pushed off the road, my car started slipping backward down the mountain that's how slippery it was. So I drove off the slick road into the grass beside the road and went around them. So this trip is a piece of cake in a long range charged to 90%. Don't forget you have control - you can turn off the heat, go slower, charge, etc.
Your car might not even be a heat pump car? Which would noticeably compound the losses from the HVAC system?

Dont get me wrong, Very appreciative for the comments and sentiment of reassurance that these are capable.

But I am truly seeking (if at all possible) "cold hard figures" actual sample numbers to reference on that specific trip if I am being too ambiguous or unclear with my request.

If you ever make another run there and back recording your true total mileage and start/stop capacity at temperature and condition, I would be Immensely grateful if you bothered to jot those details down and post them here!

I assume it's probably a really absurd request to ask for actual full trip stats for a specific point to point trip, but that is what I am literally after.
And hoping since it is such a popular location someone in the Portland area that tracks those details might post some specific details to extrapolate from as a datum.

Your car might not even be a heat pump car? Which would noticeably compound the losses from the HVAC system?

Dont get me wrong, Very appreciative for the comments and sentiment of reassurance that these are capable.

But I am truly seeking (if at all possible) "cold hard figures" actual sample numbers to reference on that specific trip if I am being too ambiguous or unclear with my request.

If you ever make another run there and back recording your true total mileage and start/stop capacity at temperature and condition, I would be Immensely grateful if you bothered to jot those details down and post them here!

I assume it's probably a really absurd request to ask for actual full trip stats for a specific point to point trip, but that is what I am literally after.
And hoping since it is such a popular location someone in the Portland area that tracks those details might post some specific details to extrapolate from as a datum.
No my car is a 2020, and doesn’t have the heat pump.

The worst range in winter for my pre-heatpump S70D has been about 50% range (120 mi out of 235-240 mi when new in summer). That was about 5 F, up hill, very little snow. It’s an easy, conservative calculation that works pretty well. With 6” of heavy, wet unplowed slush, well, certainly less, but that’s probably un-drivable in western Washington today with all the traffic and untrained drivers. Edit: I haven’t driven on, or even seen, heavy, snow-packed freeways in decades. Now, I’m able to pick my day/time and wait until all the other drivers have cleared things off a bit. Luxury.