Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual data on winter charging @ 120V (NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Looking at compiling data about 120V charging in winter. Interested in Model Y but hasn’t been out long enough for winter charging rates.

Please let me know if you’re using a 5-15 or 5-20.

This is namely for family members’ houses that I travel to for holidays and visits. Need to see if I can charge back up to make it home. Nearest enroute Supercharger is about 20-25 miles away from both destinations.

Not interested in 240V data, nor interested in comments about installing 240V at their houses. Just trying to see what typical charge I would get if I went down for Thanksgiving or holidays or whatever and stayed until the next day.

Data from NJ/NYC metro area would be ideal. Typical temperatures for winter months are:

Month High Low
November 55 42
December 44 31
January 39 26
February 43 29
March 52 36

Thank you. Hoping to get some TeslaFi data.

• Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
On the coldest of days with a cold soaked battery you will get very little if any charge at 120V.

On a vacation property at the NJ shore I gave up and ran an extension from the dryer. This year I put in an outside 14-50 as I got fed up with the extension cord.

That said, if this is just for visits and there is a supercharger 25 miles away I don't see an issue with using the 120V. It's only in Jan and Feb that you have issues.

Thanks. One of the properties is in the shore areas and there is a 5-15 in the front of the house I could use. It ideally would just prevent me from losing range and that would be fine.

It’s about 60 miles from my home in north Jersey to the shore area. I am thinking that the battery would be warm and remain warm to accept the charge for some time before it cools to ambient. This would be a rare occasion sleeping over in the winter and off season but there aren’t many supercharging options aside from the Tom’s River supercharger which is in the wrong direction from home or the tinton falls outlets at exit 100. So if I could gain or keep same energy in the battery it would help me make it home without further action.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks. One of the properties is in the shore areas and there is a 5-15 in the front of the house I could use. It ideally would just prevent me from losing range and that would be fine.

It’s about 60 miles from my home in north Jersey to the shore area. I am thinking that the battery would be warm and remain warm to accept the charge for some time before it cools to ambient. This would be a rare occasion sleeping over in the winter and off season but there aren’t many supercharging options aside from the Tom’s River supercharger which is in the wrong direction from home or the tinton falls outlets at exit 100. So if I could gain or keep same energy in the battery it would help me make it home without further action.

I charge my LMR outside all winter in the pnw. Mostly 5-15, but I have a 5-20 as well. The key is to plug in immediately after driving and take advantage of the warm battery. If it sits overnight, or even several hours if it’s below 40, before you charge you wont get much.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Just don't ever let the car sit unplugged to get cold soaked. As long as you plug in after driving your battery should stay minimally warm enough to charge slowly. You won't be able to drive much though, since you can only gain about 70 miles per day if left plugged in 24/7 under ideal conditions.

Really only an issue on days in the 20s or lower. I did exactly what you propose. Plugged in after driving down and it will add miles with no issues on the warm battery.