Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual Driven Miles and Miles per The battery-30% off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Proud owner of a baby blue Tes3===forum has been super helpful. So folks-- i tried 3 usbc -usb converts and the like in the back USBC ports- and you folks solved my problem. To use an Iphone- just get the Apple USBC cord- solved my problem.

Question:

I drove 18 Miles per Waze to a favorite restaurant and my battery went from 262 Miles to 234 or 28 miles less. I was driving primarily highway- and had AC on 73-74. This is fine when I am doing local driving.

I am scheduling my first big roadtrip to go to Orlando which is about 210 miles away-if I am starting at 290 miles on the battery- I have the 3 Long life battery-- I thought maybe I can drive 250 Miles- but now I see a hit of more than 30% so may be I can only drive 200..

What can I do to cut down the usage of the battery on the highway driving and is the 35-40% difference normal. I have also been seeing when I go 4-5 miles down the road to the supermarket--- my round trip instead of 8 miles is like 14-15 miles.

Finally-- I got a lease of 12000 miles- where can I see the odometer of what i actually drove- I assume its not the mile drivens per the battery but the actual miles driven.

Thanks so much

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Finally-- I got a lease of 12000 miles- where can I see the odometer of what i actually drove- I assume its not the mile drivens per the battery but the actual miles driven.
Thanks so much

Press the "T" at the top of your screen. That'll show you the odometer.

Don't worry about the miles remaining per the battery. That's just an estimate - the further you drive the more accurate it is... at short distances you use a lot of battery per mile - just like how a gas engine burns more gas per mile on short drives.

When you have your battery meter set to miles (vs. percentage), this is just an estimate. However, if you bring up the Energy console, you will get a Projected Range value based on how you have driven the last 5, 15 or 30 miles. This factors in how you drive the car, so if you are a lead foot (like me) then your Projected Range is going to be much lower than what the meter miles shows. The meter miles value does not factor in how you drive, it's just a projected range based on how much charge is in your battery. There are a lot of factors that play into how far you can drive based on your current battery charge level, like how fast you drive, wind resistance, up hill vs down hill, etc... So, to sum it up, don't look at the battery level in miles, look at the Energy console to help get a more accurate distance rating based on your current charge level.

Had my m3 for a couple of weeks and noticed the same. I’m not the most efficient driver! I’ve found it’s the way you drive that makes the biggest difference (rather than using the heater etc. Although it’s not been very cold yet)

Just reducing your cruising speed by 5mph makes a fair difference and there’s a steep increase in energy consumption for every 5mph you increase your speed

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hey bvles, there is nothing wrong with your consumption. What you need to know is that, the shorter your trip the more rated miles vs actual miles you will use.

The first 3-5 miles in an EV is spend on heating/cooling the vehicle interior, battery and motors, only after the first few miles you will reach a stable state of energy consumption which is why small trips takes more energy.
The Tesla Model 3 will at temperatures below 15°C (59°F) pre-condition your battery to secure a long lasting battery life this takes some energy. The colder it is the more pre-condition for your battery and interior, same with extreme heat.

Take your Model 3 on a long trip and look at the energy screen, the first 3-5 miles will consume about 20-30% more energy than the next 200 miles.

Also, if you need all the range of the vehicle you can pre-condition the car before going on a trip via the APP.

Enjoy your Model 3 :)

I drove 18 Miles per Waze to a favorite restaurant and my battery went from 262 Miles to 234 or 28 miles less. I was driving primarily highway- and had AC on 73-74. This is fine when I am doing local driving.
AC works hard on short trips. The AC penalty on long trips is much more modest. Stay below 75 mph and you will be fine unless something like a headwind bumps up your consumption. The car will tell you to slow down if needed.

Learn how to use the trip energy screen -- it gives the driver confidence that the car will reach the destination.

As the other guys have said this is pretty normal. I find if doing a reasonable journey at speeds less than 50mph, I can get close to the rated miles. However, on a highway at 75mph you will a,ways consume energy at a rate faster than the rated miles projects. It is a shame that the model 3 doesn’t have the choice of rated miles or typical miles like the model S I have found that one to be much more accurate and if driven sensibly provides a fairly accurate projection. Perhaps we could tweet Elon and ask for this feature to be added to the 3 too?