TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Actual Driving Range

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by JMO, Jan 23, 2013.

1. JMO

JMO Member

#1 JMO, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    I have driven about 2,500 miles since November 13 2012 in my model S Signature.

Lately I have noticed that the discharge rate is greater than the miles driven. For example, I drove about 48 miles today starting the day with a 232 miles range. I drove 48 miles and had about 150 miles left at day's end. Bottom line is that I had an 82 mile discharge vs 48 actual driven miles. A difference of 34 miles.

I did drive on the highway 95% of the time and at speed averaging about 70 mph.

So the question is: Is this a legitimate energy usage?

JMO

2. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

#2 aviators99, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    I am editing my post because of math questions. You said you had a 70 mile discharge, but 232-150 is 82. Which was it?

3. Zextraterrestrial

Sounds OK going 70mph.

4. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

I've been driving ~42 miles but discharging ~100. Cold weather is murder on EV range.

Those in cold climates expecting to get the 40kwh pack should take note.

5. napabill

napabill Active Member

Speed kills....range.

6. schoendp

schoendp Member

Nikoli - that seems excessive, even for cold weather. Can you go into more detail about the type of drive, temps, use of heat, etc.?