Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual mileage vs calculated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove 43 miles. When I started, my range showed 275 miles @ 85%. When we got home, it showed a range of 181 miles. So while I should have been able to go 94 miles, I only went 43.

I’m just trying to understand how the mileage works, so I can judge properly for a round trip. I don’t expect the calculation to be perfect, but a 100% variance kind of sucks. Can you share some wisdom?

Today I drove 43 miles. When I started, my range showed 275 miles @ 85%. When we got home, it showed a range of 181 miles. So while I should have been able to go 94 miles, I only went 43.

I’m just trying to understand how the mileage works, so I can judge properly for a round trip. I don’t expect the calculation to be perfect, but a 100% variance kind of sucks. Can you share some wisdom?
Sorry, it’s a MYLR and it was my first day driving it. It was also quite cold - 25 degrees.

Upvote 0
The range shown near the battery icon is bogus. Touch the battery icon and change the display to percentage (and never go back). To get a more accurate range estimate, use the energy consumption app which is available via the bottom menu bar. I think the icon looks like a graph. This will also give you a breakdown of where energy was spent and may give you some tips to increase your range.

The use of climate control, the speed you drive, and several other things can have a large effect on the energy consumed and thus the range. The energy consumption app should be your first step in better understanding the real world range. At the very least it should help you provide details that will help people answer your question.

Upvote 0
The range shown next to the battery indicator is based on the wildly optimistic EPA testing and is based on (approximately) 3 miles for each percent of battery available (that is for MYP, in MYLR it is about 3.3). As recomended above switch that over to percent and never look back. In the real world driving at highway speeds you get anywhere from 2.5 miles in good weather down to 2.0 miles in rainy or windy conditions for each percentage of battery available. In cold weather that drops even further to around 2.0 for good weather and 1.5 for blizzard conditions. These numbers are all based on high speeds on the highway (80ish mph). In a real blizzard you are unlikely to be driving that fast :)

Keith

PS: Yes, Tesla told you the car has 330 miles of range... and yes if you drive around town at moderate speeds you can achieve that. In the real world you have a 250ish mile range car on the highway in warm weather in good conditions.

Upvote 0
check ur trip under car setting. What’s ur avg wh/mi showing? the lower, the better.

if u going 70-75 mph and it’s freezing cold, plus heater blastin….. ur wh/mi probably closee to 400! To obtain EPA of 330 miles range, u need to avg 0.250 and under. It’s probably impossible to get that with ur condition even tho u follow speed limit.

Upvote 0
Hi, question about my tesla model y battery capacity / range.
Rwd, lfp battery. Short range
When i check the average usage in drives it says 145km/h.
I'm not driving aggressive
But when i look at the charging statistics i see a different vallue.
Yesterday i charged from 50 to 100% it took 32kwh.
From 100% to that 50% i drove 155km.
When i calculate 30kwh / 155km it would be 206wh/km. Which is way to high it means i could only drive 300km fully charged.
When i calculate 155km x 145wh/km (what my tesla says it uses) it supposed to be 22.5 kwh if battery.
Where did the 10kwh go?
See no drain in the tessie app.

Upvote 0
Hi, question about my tesla model y battery capacity / range.
Rwd, lfp battery. Short range
When i check the average usage in drives it says 145km/h.
I'm not driving aggressive
But when i look at the charging statistics i see a different vallue.
Yesterday i charged from 50 to 100% it took 32kwh.
From 100% to that 50% i drove 155km.
When i calculate 30kwh / 155km it would be 206wh/km. Which is way to high it means i could only drive 300km fully charged.
When i calculate 155km x 145wh/km (what my tesla says it uses) it supposed to be 22.5 kwh if battery.
Where did the 10kwh go?
See no drain in the tessie app.
Sentry mode.
Preconditioning before driving when not plugged in.
Climate Control while parked, fiddling with the infotainment screen.

Upvote 0
When i check the average usage in drives it says
Probably the main issue is this: that display of your drive "since last charged" is not all inclusive. It is only totaling the energy used while the car is in Drive or Reverse gear. All of the time the car is parked, consuming things with sentry mode or minor idle drain, those are used off the battery meter, but they are not included in that driving statistics window.

Reactions: Kupe
Upvote 0
I just purchased Model Y Long Range a month ago and have only driven about 500 miles. I'm planning a road trip that will happen in couple days and was using the Tesla App to estimate how much energy trip will consume. It turns out that the entire trip (116 miles) will consume 49 percent of the battery. I felt like this is too much given that it's pretty much a brand new car. The long range version is "supposed" to have about 300 miles range and I felt like I should expect 3 miles per 1 percent of the battery capacity. But now it's only giving me 116/49 = 2.34 miles per 1 percent. Anyone have any idea why is this happening and shall I contact tesla for investigation?

Upvote 0
You purchased a Tesla Long Range Model Y with an estimated EPA combined city/highway range. The EPA value does not reflect real-world driving, is only useful when comparing the efficiency and range of different Tesla vehicles and wheel configurations.
I understand that, but draining 50 percent battery capacity over a 116 mile trip is still crazy. Also I’m not an aggressive driver and my drive style is very chill.

Upvote 0
I understand that, but draining 50 percent battery capacity over a 116 mile trip is still crazy. Also I’m not an aggressive driver and my drive style is very chill.
Range is affected by the terrain driven (elevation changes), posted speed limits (used by the Trip route planner) and weather conditions (wet roads, cross winds.)

For more interactive, customizable trip route planning you should check out A Better Route Planner (ABRP). ABRP is available as a phone app and on the web. You can use ABRP for free or else subscribe to the premium version.

ABRP enables you to enter your vehicle, passenger count and cargo load, also preferred highway driving speed and maximum speed. ABRP Premium will factor weather, and also traffic in metro areas. You can enter your preferred state of charge for departure, when stopping to charge and your arrival charge at your destination. You can also set preferences for fewer (longer) charging stops or more frequent (shorter) charging stops. You can specify the type of charging that you will use, i.e. Tesla Supercharging or DC fast charging and any destination charging (overnight charging at a hotel, etc.)

For a 116 mile round trip you won't need to charge unless there is additional driving while at the destination. For a round trip of 230 miles you should plan to stop and charge once at a Supercharger, when the state of charge is between 20% and 30% and only charge to 80%.

Upvote 0