Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual mileage vs calculated range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove 43 miles. When I started, my range showed 275 miles @ 85%. When we got home, it showed a range of 181 miles. So while I should have been able to go 94 miles, I only went 43.

I’m just trying to understand how the mileage works, so I can judge properly for a round trip. I don’t expect the calculation to be perfect, but a 100% variance kind of sucks. Can you share some wisdom?

I just purchased Model Y Long Range a month ago and have only driven about 500 miles. I'm planning a road trip that will happen in couple days and was using the Tesla App to estimate how much energy trip will consume. It turns out that the entire trip (116 miles) will consume 49 percent of the battery. I felt like this is too much given that it's pretty much a brand new car. The long range version is "supposed" to have about 300 miles range and I felt like I should expect 3 miles per 1 percent of the battery capacity. But now it's only giving me 116/49 = 2.34 miles per 1 percent. Anyone have any idea why is this happening and shall I contact tesla for investigation?
It's a trip planner not on your car, does it have any information on your car's condition?
Is it saying it consumes 49% or that the trip ends at 51%? In which case, what is the starting SOC?

Climate control uses power based on time, not miles. Given you are calling this a 'road trip' , but it is only 116 miles is there something arduous about the route?
Can you share the approximate end points?

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Upvote 0
I understand that, but draining 50 percent battery capacity over a 116 mile trip is still crazy. Also I’m not an aggressive driver and my drive style is very chill.

But you haven't even made that trip yet. Your driving style doesn't matter. Less than an hour earlier you said this is the projected energy consumption on a future trip.

You need to make a number of "real" trips and learn about the car.

Upvote 0
@Mitchb13

have a look at the energy app on vehicle screen
Its a green app. Press on the icon that has 3 white dots to access the app list.
click on the green energy app
In that you will find a more comprehensive view of energy consumptions in terms of Wh/mi

-25ºF = -31ºC for the rest of us.
The car will need battery energy to heat the battery, motors, cabin.

Have a look at Bjorn Nyland Youtuber cold weather drives (here and here)
On one cold Norway winter weather 300km/187mi drive he was averaging 214Wh/km on the highway = 342Wh/mi (but that was slightly uphill and a bit of headwind) On another drive he was averaging 200Wh/km or 320Wh/mi at -25ºC
Both with preconditioning at superchargers

Last edited:
Upvote 0