Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual range and battery degradation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I was able to get a good deal last month a used 2016 model x 75D with all the features and more importantly within my price range. Despite the good price, it had about 45k miles on it, but still qualified for the 4 year warranty.

My question is around battery degradation and actual mileage. I was planning on taking on going to the mountains this weekend for our first roadtrip. So I plugged the destination in the navigation and says it is only 125 miles away. It was morning so I just got done charging to 90% and had a range of 205 for the day. So with the destination plugged in, it told me I had ti make a supercharging stop about halfway and then after that, it would put me at about 35% when i arrived to destination. So I then removed the supercharging stop to see if I can make it since I have 205 miles and the destination was only 125 miles away, as I figured that I had about an 80 mile buffer. But what it had showed me was a -11% and that i needed to make the supercharging stop on order to make the destination.

Now I know elevation and speed plays a factor in energy consumption, but should I be concerned with this 80 mile loss in energy consumption or is this normal for 2016 75D owners? Also, considering I got the car with 45k miles, should i be worried about battery degradation from the previous owner?

Finally, is there a way to track actual battery performance/energy consumption if I am just currently using my X for no more than 20-30 miles of daily use around town?

Thanks in advance for any responses or advice/tips

...used 2016...45k miles...still qualified for the 4 year warranty...

First thing first. Do you mean you still have 5,000 miles warranty left based on the miles and if it was first delivered on January, 1st 2016 the last day of warranty would be 12/31/2019 based on the years.

...should I be concerned with this 80 mile loss in energy consumption...

No!

If your destination is 125 miles away and you only your charge to 205 miles, that's 80 miles extra, most people will be lucky to barely arrive on a flat, level road and "normal driving speed" (The law wouldn't say over the speed limit is "normal" but that's not real life).

So, if you are talking about climbing up the mountain, that's pretty good that you only lose 80 miles extra in your battery gauge.

You just need to monitor your drives and see how many Rated Miles are used for each trip and adapt your planning based on your experience. Some need more than 80 miles extra, some need less depending on the road conditions and driving habits.

This planning that you would need to charge 80 miles extra to get to your destination has nothing to do with battery degradation.

Plan on losing 10 miles of range per 1000 feet of elevation change. So going to 6000 feet from sea level loses 60 miles. You will need 5 to 10% cushion on arrival to allow for unexpected delays or detours. You lose about 10% due to cabin heating and speeding. Generally the on board trip calculator works well but doesn't compensate for wind or temp as far as I know. Monitor the various energy consumption tools the car has as you get used to the car. All of this is unrelated to your battery capacity which is diminished somewhat from new. Charge it to the max and see what you get for range. Subtract about 10 to 15% for buffer and speeding. Then subtract your 10 miles per 1000 feet elevation change and you have your range. My 2016 X 85D started at 257 miles max. Our cabin is at 5000 feet in Sierras and 200 miles from our house at sea level. (Monterey) We now are 244 max at 36000 miles. We would drive to Manteca, charge to 200 miles, then 90 miles to the cabin and have 60 miles of energy left. That means 50 miles lost to climbing to 5000 feet. On our way home charging to the max before leaving, we could make it all the way home without charging with about 30 miles of energy left. As you will find out, there is no regeneration coming down the mountain because the battery is already full. Regen is also reduced when the battery is cold. My advice is don't speed, follow the on board trip recommendations and you will be fine.

Reactions: Justicepool
Thanks for both your insightful responses. In response to Tam, I just bought it and since it had 45k miles, it qualified for an additional 4 years of warranty, i believe it was over 50k, it would only qualify for 2 years. So my warranty won't expire to the end of 2023, i think. Ill use the loss of 10 miles/1000 per feet as a planning factor, but this in addition to other various consumers in the car will definitely add to the range anxiety, especially during the first couple of roadtrips. Wife going to hate me as there maybe no heat in the car and going to have to pull out the blankets to save valuable energy :)

...45k miles, it qualified for an additional 4 years of warranty, i believe it was over 50k, it would only qualify for 2 years...

I see. Since you mentioned "previous owner" so I erroneously thought that's it's a private sale.

You are correct because you bought it from Tesla so it's clear now.

...no heat in the car and going to have to pull out the blankets to save valuable energy :)

Very wise planning! Heater costs a lot of miles in winter! Worse than Air Condition in hot summer!

Also when departing for your trip, you should consider charging to 100% instead of 90% for some added range. I always feel more comfortable when taking long trips arriving at my destination with about 50% remaining even if it means stopping for a bit at a supercharger.

I realize that your week-end trip is probably already in progress, but I wanted to respond because many of your questions mirrored my initial questions with my X.
I have 205 miles and the destination was only 125 miles away, as I figured that I had about an 80 mile buffer. But what it had showed me was a -11%
The onboard calculations rightfully never plan for you to arrive with a depleted battery. I would expect that at least 35 miles of that “cushion” are reserved for you to arrive with some charge. Although I do sometimes choose to go to pretty low charge (<10%), that is absolutely never my initial plan. And then there are just the various factors others have mentioned that affect what efficiency you actually get: speed, outside temp, use of heater, wind, elevation change, etc. For me, the efficiency usually ranges between 70% and 95%, which means that I’d expect a 108 mile trip to use between 114 and 154 rated miles.

considering I got the car with 45k miles, should i be worried about battery degradation
If your car shows 205 rated miles at 90% charge, your full charge rated range is about 227 miles. I believe the 75D originally had EPA 237 miles, so you yours had about 4% degradation, which is good.
is there a way to track actual battery performance/energy consumption if I am just currently using my X for no more than 20-30 miles of daily use around town?
I’m not sure exactly what you are looking for here, but I personally like all the data that Teslafi collects. It’s a 3rd party program that lets you see all kinds of stats.

It’s a 3rd party program that lets you see all kinds of stats.
I’m attaching some screen shots that show the kind of data Teslafi gives for each drive segment, a battery degradation history, and general driving efficiency.
AE606E7C-EE09-4F92-850A-FFDA4FEE8B5A.jpeg A2DCEA8E-E860-4940-ACE5-6143DB140887.jpeg 05737FEE-40EB-40BB-BEA7-C74AF09448CA.jpeg