Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual Range for LR AWD, With Charge Buffer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It varries pretty wildly with your speed, but I've been able to start at around 90% and go 260mi (~75mph average) to a Supercharger and not feel anxiety about it. I don't remember exact numbers but I only start to get worried if I have a trip where I need more than 250mi and there aren't any Superchargers around.
As for City, I live in LA and due to traffic my normal average speed driving around is closer to 40mph and I've almost broken 300mi before I got worried and rerouted to the nearest Supercharger (charged up to 100% to start).

In the time I have had the car I have averaged 260 watts per mile. That's a combination of highway (70 mph), some stop and go, and a lot of surface street (45-50 mph) to and from work. I preheat the car pretty much every morning. I plan on 30 miles per 10% of battery and that seems to work pretty well.

Dan

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Would that be starting at a 90% or 80% charge?
Or are those "best case" 100% charge?
I'm looking for what to expect on a daily basis.

Thanks

Those are 100% charge starting. Every experience will be different. I have the AWD 19". Speed limits are high (75 MPH) the chart is fairly accurate. It can decrease with a headwind and cold weather too. I drive a regular 230 mile route, with 170 miles at 75MPH speed limit and the balance at 65 MPH. Realistically that is the limit of the battery at 100% charge. I usually arrive at my office with just under 10% charge depending on wind and weather.

Yes it caused me range anxiety at first. I even resorted to pulling into an RV park once and charging for a couple of hours when I had to take a 50 mile detour due to a tanker overturning blocking the road. But, now I realize all I really had to do was drive 55MPH and I would have made it. Yes it would have taken me 20 minutes longer going 15MPH slower but I would have made it to my office 100 minutes sooner (2 hour charge at the RV park vs 20 extra minutes going slower).

I actually printed out the chart an keep it in my car. So, if it happens again I can calculate how fast I need to go to get there vs having to charge somewhere. I drive a lot of rural highways with no superchargers anywhere near. There is a supercharger on Tesla's coming soon map about 60% through my route. Once it gets open I will make it a habit of stopping there and charging for 10 minutes. That way if I have to take another 50 mile detour I will not have to worry about it, and I will not have to charge to 100% before running the route. I normally charge to 90% (I drive 800 miles or so a week), and 100% when I have to do the long route. Once they get the station built I will not do the 100% charge at home and just add some electrons at the new station regularly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dr. J, GSP and Troy
Does Tesla have a recommended "charge to"max limit for regular use, to help preserve battery life/range? ie charge to 80% or 90%?

Or, is this "buffer" built in to the 100% SOC?
Yes, Tesla recommends charging to 90% for routine use. It is ok to go to 100% on occasion, if you don't leave the battery at that charge and drive the car right away.

You can drive down to 10% or even lower if you need to. However, don't leave the battery below 20% -- charge back above that level right away, if you can.

I'd suggest 20% to 90% for routine use and 5% to 100% if you really need to stretch the range on occasion.

FWIW.

Reactions: GSP
There is no specific “recommended charge buffer”. You can drive the car down to close to zero but you need to realize that when the battery level gets very low the remaining range number is not precise. In my opinion it is very risky to go below about 10 miles of range, I would only do it if I knew with certainty that I was only a few miles away from a charge point.

As others have pointed out, the primary factor determining range is your speed. Other factors are elevation changes, headwinds, temperature, rain/snow, road surface, tire size, even type of tire (if not using the factory spec tires).

It is impossible to answer your question without knowing all those factors. And even if all those factors are known the question cannot be answered with a high degree of accuracy.

I suggest that you ask your local Tesla showroom if you can have an extended test drive and drive your daily route yourself to see how the car performs.

Does Tesla have a recommended "charge to"max limit for regular use, to help preserve battery life/range? ie charge to 80% or 90%?

Or, is this "buffer" built in to the 100% SOC?
Tesla does not state a specific charge level or range of levels you should charge to to preserve battery life/range. There is no magic number that is best. 50% is not “better” than 70% in terms of preserving the battery long term.

Tesla recommends that you should not charge to 100% on a regular basis. Only do that if you absolutely need the maximum range. Charging to 100% frequently will increase battery degradation.

I realize tthat advice is not in the Model 3 owners manual. See the section starting at page 122.
https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

A comfortable range starting at 90%, figuring no considerable elevation changes would be 230 miles. You can go a lot further but as a general idea of a no pucker trip that should give you some room for issues you might run across on the road.

A comfortable range starting at 90%, figuring no considerable elevation changes would be 230 miles. You can go a lot further but as a general idea of a no pucker trip that should give you some room for issues you might run across on the road.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

That seems like a conservative starting number, and I realize that number can be reduced in worst case winter conditions and stretched in best case warm conditions. It provides a practical start range for someone not surrounded by superchargers, with a long daily commute.

Thanks again.

Without Superchargers you can drive about 300 miles in fair weather and ~ 250 miles in the winter between charges. Most people set a charging routine that cycles around the 50% SoC. If you have to charge to a high SoC it is best to finish charging close to the time you will use the car. It is not a good idea to let the battery cook at a high SoC in hot weather.

My work commute is 90 miles so I routinely charge up to 250 miles (80%) and charge again after 180 miles. I charge up to 100% before road trips. I could cycle the battery for 90 miles instead of 180 but that is less convenient for the peculiarities of our two EV household.

No problemo

You are asking about AWD, but much of the numbers stated so far sound like RWD owners. The D and P seem to have similar numbers that are much lower than the RWD. I tried making a 275mi trip from 100% at 55mph, no heater, 50°, flat terrain. 310Wh/mi for the first 30 miles, then dropped to the 260 range. After 100 miles, my Wh/mi was still too high. I saw that I wouldn’t be able to make it non-stop and just sped up to speed limit planning to make a Supercharger stop. Basically, I was on target for 260mi range. It’s interesting to me how that ends up being the same as the new MR model.
920F0A96-D7CB-4E1B-A0CD-0BD8A3078C1B.jpeg

I think most answers above focus on normal / best case scenarios. I'd like to provide some near worst case scenario: winter, not freezing but close, pouring rain, mountain and freeway driving, cabin heating on, many short trips, only charged to 80% and drive down to 15%- 20%. In such case I think the actual driven range (80% -20%) is about 240km / 150 miles

I think most answers above focus on normal / best case scenarios. I'd like to provide some near worst case scenario: winter, not freezing but close, pouring rain, mountain and freeway driving, cabin heating on, many short trips, only charged to 80% and drive down to 15%- 20%. In such case I think the actual driven range (80% -20%) is about 240km / 150 miles
Considering the conditions, that's really not bad at all. That comes out to 250 miles of range on a full charge. About a 20% decrease in the worst possible conditions (close to it anyway).

Dan

You are asking about AWD, but much of the numbers stated so far sound like RWD owners. The D and P seem to have similar numbers that are much lower than the RWD. I tried making a 275mi trip from 100% at 55mph, no heater, 50°, flat terrain. 310Wh/mi for the first 30 miles, then dropped to the 260 range. After 100 miles, my Wh/mi was still too high. I saw that I wouldn’t be able to make it non-stop and just sped up to speed limit planning to make a Supercharger stop. Basically, I was on target for 260mi range. It’s interesting to me how that ends up being the same as the new MR model. View attachment 355477

no doubt you had quite a bit of headwind on that journey.