Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual range less than 1/2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to get my MY LR delivered. Part of the agreement in getting a Tesla with my spouse was that the car should be able to drive to my inlaws that live around 180 miles / 300 km away. The car is rated at around 330 miles / 530 km and I have specifically chosen the 19 inch for a little extra range.

In my initial calculations and when checking reviews for real range it looked like 300 km without charging would not be a problem.

However after checking the website A better route planner . com and looking at teslas route planner they both suggest a short charge stop. ABRP says that if I charge to 100% before departue I will arrive with 4% charge if I don't charge on the way.

Can't this really be correct.. that leaves the car with just around 1/2 of the stated capacity?

...1/2 of the stated capacity?

Your car is rated 530km at 100%

It can travel to your destination at 300km away, and that's 56.66% of capacity.

There's still 4% left at the destination or 21.2km.

Your capacity after the trip is 300+21.2km=321.2km or 60.6% of the capacity.

That's a consumption loss of about 40% of your capacity that can happen due to extreme weather, winds, uphills, speed...

You can get 530km or even longer distance if you are a hypermiler who knows how to control those factors: drive in great weather that needs no heater nor air conditioning, calm wind, flat road, turtle speed...

So you just test drive a distance and learn how much to charge your car and how you can control those factors so you can make driving an EV practical.

Reactions: coleman567
I am about to get my MY LR delivered. Part of the agreement in getting a Tesla with my spouse was that the car should be able to drive to my inlaws that live around 180 miles / 300 km away. The car is rated at around 330 miles / 530 km and I have specifically chosen the 19 inch for a little extra range.

In my initial calculations and when checking reviews for real range it looked like 300 km without charging would not be a problem.

However after checking the website A better route planner . com and looking at teslas route planner they both suggest a short charge stop. ABRP says that if I charge to 100% before departue I will arrive with 4% charge if I don't charge on the way.

Can't this really be correct.. that leaves the car with just around 1/2 of the stated capacity?
It is safe to assume you will only get about 2 miles per percent of battery. You'll need to find a place to charge or get the 14-50 adapter for your mobile charger so you can GTFO as quickly as possible, seeing as how they are your in-laws.

It is safe to assume you will only get about 2 miles per percent of battery. You'll need to find a place to charge or get the 14-50 adapter for your mobile charger so you can GTFO as quickly as possible, seeing as how they are your in-laws.
2 miles per percent is the worst case, 2.5 would be more typical in the winter in my experience. There are three things that drive consumption way up.
1. High speed (80+)
2. Very cold
3. Preconditioning for supercharging when it's cold out (I was surprised to see almost a 100 Wh/mi penalty for nearly an hour before the supercharger!)

2 miles per percent is the worst case, 2.5 would be more typical in the winter in my experience. There are three things that drive consumption way up.
1. High speed (80+)
2. Very cold
3. Preconditioning for supercharging when it's cold out (I was surprised to see almost a 100 Wh/mi penalty for nearly an hour before the supercharger!)
2 miles pr percent gives just enough battery to arrive at 0% .... so that is cutting it close..
Hope the 2,5 is the more normal case as that would make the trip possible - the reason for a no stop trip is kids waking up if stopping while driving at night.. and a unhappy wife is one thing.. but sleepy unhappy kids + wife is a whole other beast.. so the direct trip with charging at my inlaws is favorable..

Thankfully the max speed we drive is around 80 so above that is rare...

Or use the "I have to go charge the car" and then find a 11kw charger and watch netflix.. ;D

I'm not sure about winter weather conditions or speed limits in Denmark - but make sure you adjust the parameters in ABRP. You can change the starting SOC and desired arrival SOC, speed you'll be driving, approx weight in the car, time you'll be driving, etc. Just using the default settings may not match your actual conditions. Certainly things like temperature, speed, wind, elevation changes can all affect your range. And the car's navigation might have different numbers - I've found it to be pretty accurate in terms of predicting arrival SOC. Don't worry about it until you get the car and can try it out.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Even 80 mph let alone faster than that is a range killer, it’s just physics. You could start out at 80 and as you get closer to your destination you can slow down if it’s looking too tight. Otherwise your backup plan is to stop and charge for 5 minutes.

Let ABRP be your guide. If you are concerned about range then limit your speed to a maximum of 70 MPH. The data is the Clean Technica article is for a Model S and Model X. The curves would be similar for the Tesla Model Y.

Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)
Probably the best advice so far.

ABRP is a true game-changer. The ability to calculate range/charging/efficiency before trips.. or in real-time during trips.. has allowed me to travel long distances in my Tesla with less range anxiety and most importantly quicker travel times.. due to faster charging. The last time I used ABRP was for a 300 mile drive.. my Y told me to stop once to charge for 45mins.. ABRP told me to stop twice.. once for 9mins and another 6mins. Saved me 30mins!

Reactions: WyomingEV

I have a MYP and have an approximate 140 mile daily commute (69.7 miles per leg) 90% flat and straight highway. AP is set to 65mph and I average around 320 wh/m consumptio, more or less depending on the wind. I typically charge to 90%, arrive at work at 61% and arrive back home at 33%. So in my case I get about 70 miles per 30% going at 65mph. I think you can easily make your 180 mile trip so long as you're not going up so many hills, etc.

ABRP is good guide for sure. Speed is the killer. If you really don't want to stop, drive 70 instead of 80, that'll give you another 20% in range. (each 5mph over 65 mph uses 10% more energy)
That's a great point and a very easy way to remember. I'm actually bookmarking your post for future reference.

FWIW I usually cruise around 70mph on interstate highways anyways. Most of the highways here are 65mph.. so trying to drive 55 to 65mph will either get you ran over or piss off everybody behind you. Cruising exactly at 70mph lets me hang out in the slow lanes using AP the entire time. I never have to worry about a speeding ticket and steady speed allows for faster drivers to get around me easily. It also seems like a great compromise as you keep pace with other drivers, while still keeping a reasonable amount of efficiency.

ABRP is what helped finalized my decision to purchase the MYSR, instead of the more expensive MYLR. I purchased my car last year from available inventory from Chicago and drove it about 850 miles home to DC. ABRP predicted the MYSR would take 8 stops (7-20mins each) totaling 1hour:55mins charging to complete the trip. While MYLR was predicted to take 6 stops (7-19min each) totaling 1hour:13mins of charging. Since I generally don't ever drive farther than about 400miles roundtrip (DC to NYC)... and pretty much never need AWD... I saw little value in paying an extra $9,000 for the Long Range version when purchasing my Tesla last year.

I believe ABRP calculates that my car will use around 265wh/mi to cruise at 65mph. So cruising at 70mph, should be around 290wh/mi according to your formula. 290wh/mi @ 70mph.. should be capable of around 175 miles of nonstop highway driving in my MYSR with a 54kWh battery pack. This is still right about perfect for me, as my bladder is only good for about 2-3 hours of driving before I need to hit a bathroom!

Using your formula + ABRP's predicted efficiency of 290wh/mi @ 70mph.. a MYLR with the bigger 77kWh battery pack should be capable of around 265miles @ 70mph. That's almost 4 hours of nonstop driving. This real-world test claims the MYLR will do 276 miles @70mph. So the calculations using ABRP & your formula are pretty close.

Last edited:

I suspect that your inlaws are at a higher elevation than you are. If you plot the return trip from the inlaws to your home in ABRP do you have plenty of range to spare?

Keith

That would explain it. However I live in one of the flattest contries in the World.. the difference is About 30 meters.. so same result the other Way around

What speed are the highways/rural roads in your area? I drove out 120 miles to see my parents and it consumed almost exactly 50% to the dot but at around 66*F (same experience on the way back even with elevation changes). This was driving at 75-80MPH with some stop and go traffic in the middle (this helped out the range a bit). I can't see how you wouldn't get 180 miles out of a 90-100% charge, unless the weather is very cold (which hurts the range of any BEV). Second time I drove out I only charged to 95%, stats are below:

1645648621274.png

FWIW, I regularly take 175 mile trips at with 60% of the trip ranging between 60-75 mph and arrive at my destination with ~90 miles remaining when ~30 deg. F outside, and as high as ~115 miles remaining if 70 deg. F or warmer outside. I start each trip charged to 100%. Keep the heat/AC at 71 all the time. I have Vredstein Quatrac Pros on Gemini wheels, which use more energy. I carry 3-4 passengers, 2 dogs, and luggage. All flat land. The 40% remaining of the trip is is slower speed stop/go traffic and residential areas. Typical trip can consume as low as 260 and as high as 275 Wh/Mi. With the factory Continentals, I could get as low as 250 Wi/Mi for the same trip in warm weather. I have access at my travel destination to free L2 charging within short walking distance and around 5 miles away is V3 Supercharging, so worst case 90 miles remaining is perfectly fine for me. Previous posts are spot-on, however, if you cross 75 mph, your consumption will start to grow quickly.

Speed is huge... I just got back from a road trip... (Same road trip I take every few weeks for work) First leg, I was averaging 65mph, I was averaging 250-270 wh/m. Second leg, averaging 75-80 mph, I was now averaging 320-350 wh/m. On the third leg, the temp dropped to 27 degrees. This time, while charging, it said I would get to destination with 5% which was odd, becuase normally I can make it with 35%, so I decided to charge up to 90% for some buffer.... At the same time, I decided to use AP for most of the last leg, since this is the first time I made this trip since getting FSD Beta. So I set AP to 75... I actually made it with 31% Soc, when it originally estimated 20% when I charged to 90.

There's a lot of good advice here, but I'd also add that ABRP is very conservative by default. You are really likely to beat its numbers pretty easily with 19" wheels. The default reference consumption is 298 wh/mi @ 65 mph.

My ABRP calibrated consumption after ~25k miles is closer to 265 wh/mi. Make sure to put that in as well as your actual travel speeds. You'll likely find that it gets you there. A 180 mile trip really shouldn't be a problem under normal circumstances, of course assuming that you charge at your destination.

That's a great point and a very easy way to remember. I'm actually bookmarking your post for future reference.

FWIW I usually cruise around 70mph on interstate highways anyways. Most of the highways here are 65mph.. so trying to drive 55 to 65mph will either get you ran over or piss off everybody behind you. Cruising exactly at 70mph lets me hang out in the slow lanes using AP the entire time. I never have to worry about a speeding ticket and steady speed allows for faster drivers to get around me easily. It also seems like a great compromise as you keep pace with other drivers, while still keeping a reasonable amount of efficiency.

ABRP is what helped finalized my decision to purchase the MYSR, instead of the more expensive MYLR. I purchased my car last year from available inventory from Chicago and drove it about 850 miles home to DC. ABRP predicted the MYSR would take 8 stops (7-20mins each) totaling 1hour:55mins charging to complete the trip. While MYLR was predicted to take 6 stops (7-19min each) totaling 1hour:13mins of charging. Since I generally don't ever drive farther than about 400miles roundtrip (DC to NYC)... and pretty much never need AWD... I saw little value in paying an extra $9,000 for the Long Range version when purchasing my Tesla last year.

I believe ABRP calculates that my car will use around 265wh/mi to cruise at 65mph. So cruising at 70mph, should be around 290wh/mi according to your formula. 290wh/mi @ 70mph.. should be capable of around 175 miles of nonstop highway driving in my MYSR with a 54kWh battery pack. This is still right about perfect for me, as my bladder is only good for about 2-3 hours of driving before I need to hit a bathroom!

Using your formula + ABRP's predicted efficiency of 290wh/mi @ 70mph.. a MYLR with the bigger 77kWh battery pack should be capable of around 265miles @ 70mph. That's almost 4 hours of nonstop driving. This real-world test claims the MYLR will do 276 miles @70mph. So the calculations using ABRP & your formula are pretty close.

I’m reading all this and can’t comprehend how Tesla sells consumers on false facts; One is paying lots of money thinking one is going to get over 300 mile range; Only to find out after you buy the MYLR your lucky if you get 260 (more or less) if you drive like grandma.
Isn’t one of the reasons for buying a MYP is for the speed? I truly think that’s the fun part, knowing you can keep up with the AMG ‘s instead of following along with the Prius’s 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
But I guess most don’t mind making pit stops every 20 minutes ..
Or maybe spend twice as much and buy a Model S Plaid and get the 400 miles 🤣😂

I recall stopping in at one of the Tesla stores. The Tesla store had a flat screen display with a range estimator. You could specify the model (S or X), temperature. There was a slider control for specifying speed. You could easily learn what the estimated range would be for a given speed. This was before the Supercharger network was built out to 20,000+ charging stations in the US.

Reactions: Mr X and Daekwan