Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Actual range less than 1/2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took my wife several months to get over her range anxiety, lol. She used to pull into urban superchargers while running daily errands at 40% SoC, fearing she wouldn't make it home, lol.... But just a few days ago, we went on a roadtrip for work... I was running errands first, so we were leaving home with like 50% SoC. We arrived at the first supercharger at 7% SoC... Wife was sweating bullets when we left, but I told her that I'm driving past like 2 other supercharger locations, so if we were desperate we can just pull off earlier... I told her I was going to one with better bathroom/food access...

We own 3 Teslas.
We are driving them only here around the city.
My daily commute is 20 miles.
Charging always up to 90%.
But i have to charge it every 3-4 days because percentage will be down to 20-25%.
It is not issue for me but what happened to projected range?
My co-workers who owns Teslas complain a lot about it. Some of them are selling them and buying ICE again.
Even if Tesla says projected range is 200 miles i would be still buying it but lets just to be honest
Range in winter will be lower by 15% to 25%. Short distance trips are less efficient, use more energy per mile while warming the battery and/or passenger cabin. Preconditioning (while plugged in) for 10 to 15 minutes before driving will help.

I should have mentioned that charging time is variable and also determined by wife factors more than by optimizing travel time :D I would charge more often and to lower SOC's if traveling alone on a "speed run". I used to do cross country road trips in our Chevy Bolt, trust me I know about optimizing charge vs drive time :)

Keith

Worst "wife moment" on a road trip was one time in the Bolt we did a LONG charging session due to needing to shoot a large gap between chargers, when we were almost finished charging (over an hour) my wife decides she wants to eat lunch...
Yeah if I'm by myself I definitely stop more often but charge for shorter periods. ABRP advises you to do just this. Pointed out that on my last 300mile road trip the in-car Tesla nav told me to stop once for 45mins.. while ABRP told me to stop twice (once for 9min, second for 6min) and it saved me almost 30mins of travel time.

That said when I'm with my wife and kids.. I generally stop less. And charge longer. It's just easier for everyone to get the vehicle one time, take your time using the bathroom and get something to eat & drink. Versus stopping several times and kids getting bored/confused about when we are going to finally get there.

If I gotta travel anywhere longer 500 miles or so. Say DC to Boston and back. To hell with driving an EV.. I'm either flying or renting a Tahoe/Suburban. Especially if its freezing outside. I don't have time to be stopping over & over to charge.. or worrying about doing 60mph to make it to the next SC.. or looking for hotels that have destination chargers and praying that one is free to use overnight. The longer the drive.. the less patience I have.