Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad for battery upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This ad also popped up on my S70D a couple of months ago, but hasn't returned since. For me it would only be a 5kW or 15 mile upgrade for $3250, hardly worth it unless I get in a situation where I really need the extra 15 miles, like on a road trip where the SC's are just a little too far appart.

What I wish Tesla would do is allow us with the extra battery capacity to "rent" the extra capacity for a period of time when we need it for a long trip. It could still be a revenue generator for them and might help them sell more cars at a lower price point and by helping overcome range anxiety.

This ad also popped up on my S70D a couple of months ago, but hasn't returned since. For me it would only be a 5kW or 15 mile upgrade for $3250, hardly worth it unless I get in a situation where I really need the extra 15 miles, like on a road trip where the SC's are just a little too far appart.
You know you can just slow down to get the extra 15 miles (7% extra miles not so hard to do if you are willing to drive slow). If you only use it once and it takes you 30minutes extra to drive slower, you just got a $6500 per hour (plus tax) return on your time. If you do it 10 times, $650/hr. So I guess it depends on how many of those trips you plan to do.

I actually had a bit of a scare with this one. Dropped my 70 off with a co-worker who was going to "babysit" for me on a long trip (street parking at my house during the day). She was going to move it into her garage for me and when the screen came on she had the ad on screen. Said she almost hit "purchase" accidentally since it was the option that was highlighted by default!

Not sure what kind of verification process there is once you push that button but that would have been a hell of a surprise.

I actually had a bit of a scare with this one. Dropped my 70 off with a co-worker who was going to "babysit" for me on a long trip (street parking at my house during the day). She was going to move it into her garage for me and when the screen came on she had the ad on screen. Said she almost hit "purchase" accidentally since it was the option that was highlighted by default!

Not sure what kind of verification process there is once you push that button but that would have been a hell of a surprise.
99.9% sure the next screen would be prompting you for credit card information.