TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ad for "Inbox Helper" is deceptive and tricky

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by David29, Feb 2, 2019.

1. David29

David29 Supporting Member

I got a message earlier today that the site could not be reached, so I closed the web page and came back a few hours later. When I clicked on my saved link, it took me to the blog page instead of the forums. There was a big block across the top of the page that said "LOG IN" in red letters, so I clicked on it. It turned out that I had been snookered by an ad for something called "Inbox Helper." Fortunately, I went no further and closed the ad.

Perhaps some will think I am too gullible, or careless, or both, but I think the placement and design of the ad is deceptive and misleading. The text that says it is an ad is quite small. Yes, I could have and arguably should have noticed it, but I thought I was being forced to log into the site because of having closed the web page and come back hours later. I do not appreciate companies who use tricky ads like that which, by their design and placement, practically guarantee a person will click on it (especially if the user has not previously seen that ad).

I do not think TMC should allow ads that are positioned in such a way that they appear to be part of the "official" portion of the web page and require user action.

2. danny

danny Administrator

We do our best to prevent distasteful and/or deceptive ads from showing. Every once in a while one may get past our filters and we have to manually blacklist it. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Like x 1
  3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

It helps if we can get a screen shot of such ads.

4. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Good to know. I am sorry I did not think of that.
    But i do appreciate the supportive responses!