Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ad for "Inbox Helper" is deceptive and tricky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I got a message earlier today that the site could not be reached, so I closed the web page and came back a few hours later. When I clicked on my saved link, it took me to the blog page instead of the forums. There was a big block across the top of the page that said "LOG IN" in red letters, so I clicked on it. It turned out that I had been snookered by an ad for something called "Inbox Helper." Fortunately, I went no further and closed the ad.

Perhaps some will think I am too gullible, or careless, or both, but I think the placement and design of the ad is deceptive and misleading. The text that says it is an ad is quite small. Yes, I could have and arguably should have noticed it, but I thought I was being forced to log into the site because of having closed the web page and come back hours later. I do not appreciate companies who use tricky ads like that which, by their design and placement, practically guarantee a person will click on it (especially if the user has not previously seen that ad).

I do not think TMC should allow ads that are positioned in such a way that they appear to be part of the "official" portion of the web page and require user action.