TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adam Jonas and CR critical of Autopilot

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by X Yes?, Jul 14, 2016.

1. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

2. idoco

idoco Member

3. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

But very influential "FUD". Adam Jonas is Tesla's greatest Bull and CR is widely read by owners and potential owners.

• Dislike x 1
  4. Mickie

Mickie Member

Excerpt from second article:

"Unfortunately, some drivers may be tempted to explore the novelty factor of the system in ways that expose themselves, fellow passengers and other vehicles on public roads to great danger."

Really? What about the novelty factor of fast cars? Surely that was never attributed to a death, right?

I'm tired of the media and their instigating, verbal vomit.

• Like x 2
  5. Vitold

Vitold Member

6. Vitold

Vitold Member

I agree, everything is new in the beginning so it's a catch 22.

However driver should not be able to enable AP until he/she drove x amount of miles to get a feel for the car, it's controls and screens. Offering online test would be a good idea as well.

• Like x 1
  7. Breezy

Breezy Member

This is valid criticism. I disagree with disabling Autopilot, because Tesla can make changes OTA today. Reinforcing hands-on-wheel with less than 3 minute intervals is a sensible change, bringing the system in line with most other systems on the market.

As for the name, why is it so important that it be called "Autopilot?" I think it's misleading; I was misled with it first came out. Why not change it, or refer to the component technologies individually (TACC, Autosteer, etc.).

Boggles the mind that there's so much resistance to this. This isn't a theoretical safety issue like the battery fires and yet they're approaching it much the same way. Someone died in this case, and Tesla will be forced make changes if they don't make them voluntarily.

Criticism is good. Tesla is wrong on this one. It would be better, better for Tesla, for them to be more proactive in addressing the problem.

• Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  8. idoco

idoco Member

Reporter: AP is horrible!
    Reader: What do you think of TACC?
    Reporter: Great feature. Industry wide standard for years.
    Reader: Automatic lane keeping assistance?
    Reporter: Terrific convenience and safety feature.
    Reader: Automatic emergency braking?
    Reporter: Should be on every car.
    Reader: Blind spot detection with collision avoidance?
    Reporter: Up and coming next gen technology.
    Reader: Automatic parking and summons?
    Reporter: Nice features.
    Reader: So what do you think about AP?
    Reporter: It should be banned!

QED....FUD....

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 4
  9. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I don't think lane keeping assistance = autosteer. Lane keeping assistance as it is currently implemented by other companies usually only intervenes when you drift out of your lane to return you to your lane. It doesn't steer in the lane for you, and if you let go of the wheel you often bounce back and forth between the two lanes. Its a secondary safety system.

Autosteer is a step up from that and offers a new capability to center the car in the lane for you. That might be the one psychological step that messes with our human brains and makes us think its smarter than it is. Think of all the people who would complain if Tesla actually MADE you keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times via nags. I am positive there are folks out there using it with their hands off the wheel despite Tesla's warnings.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Mickie

Mickie Member

I'd of given a "Funny" instead of "Like" if "Nice features" was "Pass the Kool-Aid."

• Funny x 1
  11. Nikxice

Nikxice Member

One of the reasons calling it "Autopilot" is important is that it stands out from the crowd. It helps to define the Tesla brand. Sure it irks plenty of people. The media, Volvo, and many more. Who knows, relative to automotive use, perhaps in fifty years the names Tesla and Autopilot will be blurred and inseparable. They'll be on top with the best technology available. Relating this to aviation, for decades Sperry was synonymous with autopilots.

I understand how some people can't relate to the 100 year old, continuous development of aircraft autopilots to what Tesla has only just begun. I just can't imagine Tesla voluntarily changing the name, nor envision where any government mandate would be able to successfully define an acceptable threshold for qualifying the use of the name "Autopilot".

• Informative x 1
  12. Breezy

Breezy Member

We hear on one hand that Autopilot is supposedly a tremendously advanced system, far beyond anything available from other automakers. Tesla is clearly the technological leader in this area.

Then, when something goes wrong, we hear that Autopilot is just a name for a combination of features available on many other cars. How stupid could be people be for thinking it was anything more.

So which is it?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. msnow

msnow Active Member

The first one.

• Informative x 1
  14. idoco

idoco Member

Both. It's a combination of features available on many other cars. Just implemented better.

• Informative x 1
  15. Ashkenaz

Ashkenaz Member

As a new Tesla owner, I find myself recently in the position of defending my $100k purchase. It's a strange position to be in. My response now is a simple, "have you driven a Tesla?" which the answer is typically no. I think Breezy is correct, this isn't a true Autopilot, and yes, the term is misleading. I think Tesla needs to do something quick before we have this beautiful option legislated right out from under us.

It seems that an easy fix would be a change in the name, followed by an update with more frequent alerts, and most importantly, some real training. Training would take place on the 17-inch screen and only need to be accomplished once, and only take ten minutes. I think it could easily be done, and would introduce the system to drivers, how it works, the limitations of the system, and basic operations. Easy as pie.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  16. rog

rog Member

Same here. Media hype is a double edged sword...

• Informative x 1
  17. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

18. Vitold

Vitold Member

Autopilot is no more misleading than "Cruise Control" or "Traffic Aware Cruise Control". Would "Traffic Aware Steering Aid" help prevent accidents better than "Autopilot"? I don't think so.

I agree with your second thought though. AP should only enable after driver takes online test and confirms that they have driven Tesla for at least x amount of miles.

• Informative x 1
  19. davidc18

davidc18 Member

I was never a fan of the "autopilot" term. I am a big fan of the system and have been using it since the initial rollout. Tesla has done a great job of grabbing headlines and a terrible job of explaining their "autopilot" system. As a commercial airline pilot I both understood the limitations of the system and understood that the "average" person would not. Reading this forum confirms this.
    The system works very well. It must be monitored at all times. The DRIVER is always, 100%, responsible for the car. There are never any exceptions to this, EVER. I believe this is where TESLA has completely failed in both their marketing, during test drives and during the delivery of the vehicles.
    Increasing "nagging" is not the answer. Increasing awareness the limitations of the system is.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Breezy

Breezy Member

I think the onus is on Tesla to demonstrate why it's okay to have a long interval between reminders, when most other systems alarm in well under a minute. That appears to be best practice in the industry.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but clearly something needs to change. I don't think increasing awareness is going to be enough. We're asking people to pay attention while we explain why they need to pay attention. That's not going to reach the people you need to reach most.

• Informative x 1