TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adapter for UMC 32A wanted for conversion to Mennekes plug

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Eberhard, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Single Adapters for the UMC are only for sale in North america. Does someone has a source to get this adapters in EU? Only the adapter is needed. the plug should be converted to Mennekes.

2. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Do you mean the California connector?

3. Eberhard

any adapter which can take 50A. I would like to exchange the plug to the Mennekes plug.

4. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Hey Eberhard

The Plugs sold by Tesla for the UMC all have the "Leviton California" connector "on the UMC side".

So all you need is one "Leviton California" connectors (sold on Amazon here), some 50A cable and your Mennekes plug on the other end.

Wire all components together (consult an electrician for doing that...) and plug in into the UMC, voilà ;)

ps. I alomst forgot! The above solution cannot be done so easily. We cannot just design our own UMC plugs as we don't know how the plug tells the UMC how much AMPs it can draw. Martin Eberhards charger uses diodes to tell this charger what kind of plug (16A, 30A,...) is pluged into the charger. The charger then generates the correct pilot signal to tell the roadster how much amps to draw.

So the easier way is to buy a US UMC plug from TM, cut the NEMA plug and fit the Mennekes instead. This means you have to buy a US UMC plug rated 30A (or whatever you need) and modify it. That is of course the thing Eberhard was going to do... ;)

[​IMG]

5. Eberhard

Hey Oliver, i was just looking on my UMC. The connector to the plug is different. I dont see this Pin in the middle.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

^ no, you will need the diode / resistor combinations to make the Mennekes EVSE spit out >50A, as well as the equivalent that tell the UMC that the pigtail is X amps.

It may be better to put a J1772 on the car end of this cable, then buy the Tesla J1772 adapter. Then you will be equiped for all scenarios and be able to charge at whatever current the Mennekes or J1772 EVSE can provide, without any fear of overloading it.

7. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Yes, that IS the best solution for the moment.

8. Eberhard

i dont want to give up the hope, that maybe in the future there will be an updated water cooled PEM with 3-pase charger and Mennekes socket.

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Not sure what that has to do with the thread here though.

10. Eberhard

#10 Eberhard, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    I have to decide to setup a wallbox with the 7-pin Mennekes socket or the 5-pin CEE 400V/32A socket. Will depend on what socket will be n need for Model S.

i made my decision for the standard CEE socket with 3-phases being installed last monday. See what happened today:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2532&d=1315689488.jpg

11. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

12. Eberhard

looks good - hope that it works

13. efxjim

efxjim Member

If your plug has the pin it can be disassembled and the pin can be pressed out. It is not used to carry power.

14. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Is it available for sale anywhere?

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

No, but I bet you'll get it before Tesla sells you one of their bespoke Amphenol plugs...

16. magesch

magesch Member

Modifying the UMC with the Marinco Female Connector - 50 Amp and the Mennekes EVSE at the other side looks quite o.k.
    "^ no, you will need the diode / resistor combinations to make the Mennekes EVSE spit out >50A, as well as the equivalent that tell the UMC that the pigtail is X amps."
    Did someone test this combination? Will there be no error with this different comunication? Thanks magesch