Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter for US Tesla S in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if you have already done the research, but the process of importing a vehicle from one market to another can be quite complex and sometimes costly. For 6 months of use, it might be less expensive to rent a Model S in Europe, than import your own.

To your specific question, I'm not aware of any adapter to charge, but keep in mind also that there are many other features/hardware that are market specific.

For example, your wireless data has a US SIM card and carrier plan, so all the connected features will likely be unavailable. Similarly, you might need to make hardware or software changes to items like taillights (e.g. for rear fog light) to meet EU requirements, which would then need to be undone when returning to the US.

There are companies that specialize in this type of importing, so perhaps you can inquire about specific requirements for a US car coming to Germany.

Slow AC charging is no problem. The fastest available charging will be using the North American Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. The import issues raised above are far more difficult.

For Public Stations you need this Type-2 to Type-1 (J1772) cable:
charging-cord-type-1-to-type-2-32a-230v.jpg

For home charging you need a Type-1 EVSE:
evr1-type-1-max-74-kw-portable-charging-station.jpg

Even if you don't have Blue industrial socket available, that EVSE is adjustable so you could slow charge on a Schuko socket at 2-3kW with an appropriate adapter.

adapter-to-schuko-socket-for-evr1-max-74-kw.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and Adrian C.
It's really not safe or advisable to adapt a NEMA 14-50 charging station to Schuko.
You should really use the charging solutions like the ones I posted earlier in this thread.
Hi
Thanks for your fast advise. But do you think it’s possible for me to make a new installation that allows me to use this charger at home in Europe? Or do you think was just a waste of money?

Hi
Thanks for your fast advise. But do you think it’s possible for me to make a new installation that allows me to use this charger at home in Europe? Or do you think was just a waste of money?
First, 240V American charging equipment is designed for split phase where both hot wires are out of phase and 120V above ground (L1-L2-G). European power is 230V above ground (L-N-G). You didn't say specifically which EVSE you want to use, so nobody can be sure if it will work or not.
Second, it is important that the equipment prevents overloading the lower capacity socket and wiring (Schuko). For example, the Tesla Mobile Connector uses adapters to indicate the circuit capacity for each different plug and signal the car appropriately so that it cannot overload it. At a minimum, if you are adapting a NEMA 14-50 EVSE to Europe, you should start with a box like the the one linked above that has the Overcurrent Protection Device inside so that the building wiring is protected. The current can be turned down in the car, but it is not 100% reliable. It is always better to use a system where the EVSE properly sets the pilot signal to indicate the capacity of the charging circuit.
Third, while Schuko is commonly referred to as 16A capable, most EV charging equipment is limited to 10 amps when using Schuko plugs. If you need 16 amp charging, you should arrange for a dedicated 16 amp blue industrial socket to be fitted to the building where you charge.

43A5EBAD-30EA-409B-A48B-1745F433FE93.jpeg

Hi Sorry for my delayed response.
This is the EVSE that I bought and that I’m trying to use in Europe.
I was thinking in making a new installation just for charger, using a 50 A circuit breaker and 6mm wiring and connect L1- L and L2- N.... Do you think it will work?
When using this charger at my friends house, I thought I could do an adapter Nema 15 40 to Blue industrial socket, and use a box like the one you linked above with a Overcurrent Protection Device to Schuko. What do you think? Will it work?

This is the User's Guide for the Corded Mobile Connector, the Tesla charging cord pictured above.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Corded_Mobile_Connector_14-50_User_Guide_NA.pdf
Unfortunately, it does not include any voltage specifications. The first generation Mobile Connector manual is also not useful in this regard.
This is the North American charging support page. It does not address this issue either.
Home charging installation

The bottom line is that you should contact Tesla North American support and ask the question directly whether the North American Mobile connector will work with 230VAC L-N-G grid. There is a chance that it will be damaged by that voltage above ground (protective earth).

Just for the record, no matter what you do - do NOT wire it up to two of the three phases! The TN distribution system used in Europe is 400V/230V, and L1-L2, L2-L3 or L1-L3 will be at 400V in Europe, not 230 as you have between L1-N, L2-N or L3-N.

I think you might be able to connect a US device that uses L-N-G, like a NEMA 5 or 6, but the only way that a NEMA 14 device could possibly be adapted to work would be to hook both live wires to the same phase or maybe connecting it to a 230V 3-phase distribution point, which is extremely uncommon in Europe.