TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Adapter for US Tesla S in Europe

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Adrian C., Sep 14, 2017.

1. Adrian C.

Adrian C. Member

I want to take my Tesla S to Germany for 6 months and I was wandering if anybody knows of an adapter to be able to charge my car in Europe. Any suggestions? Please let me know.
    Thank you.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

First question is, can you? Take a US-spec car to Europe? Will it charge at all on Europe-spec chargers? I'm not so sure (never mind plug issues).

• Like x 1
  3. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

No.

I have seen US spec cars here in Europe. Slow charging seems to work (somehow), but Supercarging no way.

• Like x 1
  4. Hash Browns

Hash Browns Member

Forgive me if you have already done the research, but the process of importing a vehicle from one market to another can be quite complex and sometimes costly. For 6 months of use, it might be less expensive to rent a Model S in Europe, than import your own.

To your specific question, I'm not aware of any adapter to charge, but keep in mind also that there are many other features/hardware that are market specific.

For example, your wireless data has a US SIM card and carrier plan, so all the connected features will likely be unavailable. Similarly, you might need to make hardware or software changes to items like taillights (e.g. for rear fog light) to meet EU requirements, which would then need to be undone when returning to the US.

There are companies that specialize in this type of importing, so perhaps you can inquire about specific requirements for a US car coming to Germany.

• Like x 4
  5. Adrian C.

Adrian C. Member

Thank you all.

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

Slow AC charging is no problem. The fastest available charging will be using the North American Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. The import issues raised above are far more difficult.

For Public Stations you need this Type-2 to Type-1 (J1772) cable:
    [​IMG]

For home charging you need a Type-1 EVSE:
    [​IMG]

Even if you don't have Blue industrial socket available, that EVSE is adjustable so you could slow charge on a Schuko socket at 2-3kW with an appropriate adapter.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  7. Adrian C.

Adrian C. Member

Miimura thank you!!
    That is great info.

8. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Also you will have no internal navigation available. Only semi fast charging option is a CHAdeMO adapter.