Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter J1772 going from Blink@ home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9yr original Chevy Volt Owner, just ordered MY! I have a Blink 240v home charger and am looking for input on how well the Tesla J1772 adapter works in comparison to other after market options. My son is inheriting the Volt, so we need to keep the Blink Charger.
Or if faulty adapters are so problematic should I invest to install a Tesla charger?

9yr original Chevy Volt Owner, just ordered MY! I have a Blink 240v home charger and am looking for input on how well the Tesla J1772 adapter works in comparison to other after market options. My son is inheriting the Volt, so we need to keep the Blink Charger.
Or if faulty adapters are so problematic should I invest to install a Tesla charger?
I've used the J1772 adapter a handful of times and it always seems to have worked fine. It's a "dumb" adapter as far as I know (no electronics, etc) so I think it should be very reliable. You can buy extra ones from Tesla for ~$75 and if it turns out you do plan to use it for home use I would suggest you buy a second to keep in the car all the time. I could see this being something you easily forget at home and not realize until you're on a trip somewhere and want to hit a level 2 charger....

I use it most of the time. I have an Aero 240 unit that came with my Volt which needs it and I use various free level 2's - like the 60 at the MetroLink station in Puent Hills - Never had, never heard of an issue. Like suggested, I have one at home and one in the car.

Generally home charging works for me, but a bit of free is nice.

I use it most of the time. I have an Aero 240 unit that came with my Volt which needs it and I use various free level 2's - like the 60 at the MetroLink station in Puent Hills - Never had, never heard of an issue. Like suggested, I have one at home and one in the car.

Generally home charging works for me, but a bit of free is nice.
Thank you and it’s great to see the Y comes with the adapter.

If you haven't (it wasn't done remotely) already, you should turn down the output of the original garbage Blink EVSE to 24 or 16 amps max output.
Blink evse: Where in the menu can you change "Max Current" setting? - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Otherwise, you could hit Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum. While Under Threat From OEMs, ECOtality Turns Down The Output On Chargers To Avoid Failures and Honda Fit EV Overheats When Used with Blink Chargers has more background info.

Gen 1 Volt only drew about 3.3 kW from the wall at max. 3300 watts / 240 volts = 13.75 amps, which is no problem for the defective J1772 Rema handles. If you draw 30+ amps on a defective handle, you're asking for trouble.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you haven't (it wasn't done remotely) already, you should turn down the output of the original garbage Blink EVSE to 24 or 16 amps max output.
Blink evse: Where in the menu can you change "Max Current" setting? - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Otherwise, you could hit Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum. While Under Threat From OEMs, ECOtality Turns Down The Output On Chargers To Avoid Failures and Honda Fit EV Overheats When Used with Blink Chargers has more background info.

Gen 1 Volt only drew about 3.3 kW from the wall at max. 3300 watts / 240 volts = 13.75 amps, which is no problem for the defective J1772 Rema handles. If you draw 30+ amps on a defective handle, you're asking for trouble.

This is very helpful, I had no idea what damage a higher draw could cause. I’ll take a look at my settings.

I have been using my Clipper Creek HCS-50P to charge our Volt and MY since day one. Removing the J1722 from the car was a bit of a learning curve. And inserting and removing the J1722 adapter from the Tesla port required more force than I was used to with my Volt as it was brand new. After several uses, it loosens up.

Great charging speed too.
xlNTeWQ.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: MYinBend