Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
chargerplugs.jpg

I would like to purchase the plug in the upper right so I could charge remotely at another location that has this receptacle. It says Tesla on it so I assume it will plug into my cord that came with my 90D. However, I cannot find it anywhere. Short of driving to Denver, can I purchase this online anywhere? Can someone please send me a link. Thank you!

chargerplugs.jpg

I would like to purchase the plug in the upper right so I could charge remotely at another location that has this receptacle. It says Tesla on it so I assume it will plug into my cord that came with my 90D. However, I cannot find it anywhere. Short of driving to Denver, can I purchase this online anywhere? Can someone please send me a link. Thank you!
Scratch that, I need the plug in the lower right - sorry!

Lower right is the old dryer plug NEMA 10-30, Tesla stopped selling those for some silly reason.

There are adapters you can buy to convert a 10-30 into a 14-50 (10-30P to a 14-50R), and then plug in your 14-50, but there are risks associated with that.

Last edited:
Tesla said they will start making the 14-30 adapter available again because of all the requests, so perhaps if enough people ask Tesla for the 10-30 they will reintroduce that one too. In the meantime, try calling around to service centers to see if anyone has one left.

Can I use this adapter (see link below) and Tesla's nema 14-30 adapter for my dryer 10-30 outlet?
https://www.amazon.com/RECEPTACLE-APPLIANCE-CONVERTER-GETWIREDUSA-FX303/dp/B01B3AJ5XI

Looks ok — but a little pricey. It's cheaper to DIY with a 10-30 pigtail and a 14-30 receptacle, if you can find one and if you're comfortable doing the work. For some reason it's easier to find the 14-50R, but that one won't accept the neutral blade on the 14-30 plug.

Anyone tried to remove or modify the neutral blade from Tesla's 14-30 adapter, so that it will go into a 14-50 receptacle?

Looks ok — but a little pricey. It's cheaper to DIY with a 10-30 pigtail and a 14-30 receptacle, if you can find one and if you're comfortable doing the work. For some reason it's easier to find the 14-50R, but that one won't accept the neutral blade on the 14-30 plug.

Anyone tried to remove or modify the neutral blade from Tesla's 14-30 adapter, so that it will go into a 14-50 receptacle?
I will second this first recommendation of just making your own 10-30 to 14-30 adapter. It may sound intimidating, but it's really not hard.

As to this second bit, I can't even fathom why you would want to use a Tesla 14-30 adapter to plug into a real 14-50 outlet. It would be limiting the current to 24A. Why would you want to do that? Why wouldn't you use the real 14-50 plug?