Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter recommendations for 240v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am looking to add a few adapters to gen 2 mobile charger for using with 240v found "in the wild". For sure going to get a 14-50, but are any others worth picking up? What do RV parks/campsites commonly have? Any recommendations appreciated.
In my experience, RV parks generally have the 14-50 available or 120V 30 amp TT-30. I got one of these to use with my Gen 1 14-50 adapter. Note you have to manually set the amperage to 24 amps when charging with the TT-30 adapter, since the car can't tell what you're using. Mine came with a label to that effect.

As @Dr. J suggested - TT-30 + 14-50 - these are the standard RV plugs.

I also have a 5-20. if the 120v outlet supports it 20a really helps. They are somewhat common outside hotels as well as outlets in garages for a refrigerator or freezer.

You might find outlets for AC units in motels, but I don’t know what they would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You could always just buy a 14-50 or 14-30, and make pigtail adapters from that to everything else. Sockets and plugs are pretty cheap, usually $5 for the female portion, and $5 for the male portion. A junction box to house it and some wire should be under $5 too.

It's perfectly fine to adapt 14-30 to TT-30, going down in voltage is fine. NEMA 14 technically has 120V on it anyway since the neutral is there.

My technically not code compliant, but working fine 14-30 to L7-30 adapter was under $20, and that had a relatively more expensive twist lock plug.

In 3 years and 100,000 miles I’ve never come across the need for another UMC plug beyond the 5-15 and 14-50 that came with the car.

I suppose if I wanted to waste some money I’d buy the 10-30 and/or 14-30 should I ever want to take advantage of a dryer outlet somewhere.

In 2.5 years 55k miles, I've used the following away from home -
- 6-50 (parents house). (I have a 6-50 to 14-50, so this also requires using my 14-50 adapter)
- 5-20 (once - at cruise parking lot in Galveston) - could have survived with 5-15 due to length of parking.
- J1772 adapter - lots of places

I did buy a TT-30 to 14-50 in case we go camping - just has not happened - we do frequent state parks with TT-30 available, but just never needed. Figured it was worth the $50 for piece of mind.

I've never even used the 5-15...

If you want TT-30, buy a direct UMC adapter. The TT-30 to 14-50 are not safe to use, as you need to lower the current manually. If you forget to do that, you will trip the breaker in the best case scenario and start a fire in the worst case scenario.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla

The air condition units in motels usually use the 6-20 plug, which can give you 3.8kW charging.

A 5-20 adapter can be handy for hotels and motels that have receptacles out in their parking lots. These receptacles are often 5-20 versions so can give an extra couple mph compared to using the 5-15 adapter.

If charging at RV parks, a 14-50 is a must. TT-30 is good to have as a backup - in case all the 14-50s are in use, or in smaller/more remote parks where there aren’t any 14-50s. You can get a pre-made TT-30 adapter from evseadapters.

I like TT-30 and have built much of my charging kit around it. Lots of off the shelf ‘repair parts’, adapters, and heavy duty extension cords are available which are useful in the EV world.

I do think the 10-30 and 14-30 are decent ones, because it might not be that unusual to visit at friends or relatives or a rental house or something where you might want to charge, and they have a washer and dryer in the garage.

If you want TT-30, buy a direct UMC adapter. The TT-30 to 14-50 are not safe to use, as you need to lower the current manually. If you forget to do that, you will trip the breaker in the best case scenario and start a fire in the worst case scenario.

TT-30 Adapter for Tesla
And I second this. Please get this real kind of TT-30 adapter that sets the current for you. We don't have to be barbaric with switching from 30 amp to 50 amp outlets and creating that kind of risk. This isn't 2013 anymore.

Reactions: sgtstadanko
I got a 6-50 but haven't had to use it yet. The 6-50 is commonly used for welding equipment. My logic (such as it is) is that driving in the boonies you are never far from a welder or machine shop with a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet. When I bought my 3, it came with the 14-50.

14-50 is a standard for campers with multiple air conditioners.
You'll also find it as an alternative plug at many locations.

Maybe the 15-20, but there are so Many J-1772 plugs around, you probably won't need much.

I have a 5-20 Tesla adapter. I also got a 5-30 to 5-20 converter, so I could use that if I run into TTY30, albeit at the lower amperage.

And yes, if you might need to charge at an RV park, get the 14-50