TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adapter: Roadster HPC to Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GHmagic6, Mar 9, 2012.

1. GHmagic6

GHmagic6 Sig #610

Does anyone have any insight as to whether there will be a Roadster to Model S adapter? As in - if I wanted to charge the Model S at a Roadster HPC in the wild, could I?

If this has been addressed in another thread, my apologies.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

And vice versa please.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I have a feeling a lot of the HPCs will start to fade away. Maybe they'll offer upgrade of Roadster plug to Model S plug or J1772 someday.

4. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

[video=vimeo;36221090]http://vimeo.com/36221090[/video]

According to Troy of Tesla in this video the most likely thing is that there will be an adapter to plug your Roadster into the Model S connector - maybe even a retrofit of Roadster to directly support Model S. I would not expect a Model S to Roadster HPC connector.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Why would you want to keep the heavy Fosters can when you can use the sexy electric razor?

6. roblab

roblab Active Member

From my house to CA northern border with OR, on Hwy 5, there are two HPCs (Orland and Yreka), just perfect for where I want and need them. I highly doubt that TMC will get any other chargers there (were they put in by Roadster drivers?)for a year or so (hope I'm wrong!) and I will need them. So I REALLY want/need an adapter from Model S to HPC. I suspect this will be important to a lot of S drivers, for a few years until TMC gets Superchargers up and running.

7. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Great question, and welcome to the forums!

8. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#8 ChadS, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    Most HPCs outside of the greater LA-SF area were indeed put in by Roadster owners; the two you mention were courtesy of JackB (thanks Jack! I have used them several times).

Assuming Tesla puts Superchargers in the San Francisco->Seattle run, I imagine at least to start they would only be on I-5 starting well South of Seattle. But there's a lot of us Roadster drivers in Seattle that are used to going North and East too, using other HPCs put in by owners. At 70A, they are much faster than any of the other L2 charging options. So it would indeed be helpful if S owners could use them. (Although up in WA/OR, I'd be happy to trade an HPC adapter for a CHAdeMO adapter! They will be faster and much more numerous than HPCs. They will be common in CA's metro areas too; CA is still trying to get them on I-5, but no luck with funding yet).

Sigh. There are so many different things to plug in to. And a long-range BEV really needs to plug in to whatever is available wherever you happen to go. This makes things difficult for a company like Tesla. Too bad the SAE wasn't on the ball with a DC charging standard a couple of years ago.

9. GHmagic6

GHmagic6 Sig #610

Thanks!

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

My understanding is that Tesla plans to populate I-5 from San Diego to Seattle. Hope so!

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I really thought S would be omnivorous, with a bank on inlets hidden (behind the grille?) - opportunity missed.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The plan is to populate 101 also!

13. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Official news on the Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter. I was just told by a reliable exec at Tesla that there will be a Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter available at the start of the Model S production. This means all of us Roadster owners with HPCs or UMCs will be able to use our existing connections to charge the Model S.

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Interesting how perspectives differ -- I read that and thought, "Oh, good, I'll be able to mooch off Roadster owner's HPCs!"

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You can buy 75A J1772 cables off the shelf and swap out the HPC cable. That will work with the Model S and if you already have the Roadster adapter you are good to go. Depending on what Tesla offers that might be a good option.

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Am I missing the obvious? Will I be able to plug my Roadster into Model S HPCs?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It sounds to me like the adapter is for plugging Model S into a Roadster HPC.

Of course the opposite would also be useful... man this is going to get confusing.

18. roblab

roblab Active Member

Mooch? I have a Roadster HPC a half mile from my house, thanks to generous donations and Tesla, at a winery. But I won't need it, so I won't use it. But there are TWO HPCs on my way to my cousin's house, and I will need them. AFAIK, there is no charge for using, but if there is, I would gladly pay for the use, on a 700 mile trip. Roadsters went down this road before me, and I am grateful.

When I finaled my order, I specifically asked for an adapter for Model S to HPC. They aren't going to have the SuperCharger Network finished by autumn, so I use what I can get: HPCs, relative's house power, and RV parks.

19. efxjim

efxjim Member

You may have a 70a HPC but you will also need the dual charger on board to take full advantage of it.

20. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

I asked to get the new Model S HPC but then I wanted a converter to go Back to the Roadster. That did not seem to be on the map right now but they said they would request it on the next telecon to HQ.