Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter: Roadster HPC to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Official news on the Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter. I was just told by a reliable exec at Tesla that there will be a Tesla Roadster to Model S adapter available at the start of the Model S production. This means all of us Roadster owners with HPCs or UMCs will be able to use our existing connections to charge the Model S.

I was also told this was coming when I had my S config call. But they had no info on price so I ordered an S HPC anyway. I'm guessing the adapter will be at least $500, maybe more. Since I can get a beautiful S HPC with a nice neat cable without an adapter to drag on the floor it's worth it to me. I'll probably donate the HPC to somewhere that will host it with a J1772 cable upgrade. If I can make it to a charity the tax write off will be nice too.

I suspect that it is just like the roadster's HPC except a different form factor and a higher power rating. I can emulate a vehicle connected to the roadster's HPC just fine. It'll just be a little bit of reverse engineering to make an adaptor. (and a couple of power-limiting resistors to lower the amperage from 80 to 70.

I will probably make the first one out of plastic and then see what it will take to make a metal one. The upside is I can send a prototype to Tesla and all they would have to do is replicate it which is easy enough to do.

Will make another thread in the charging section when I get started on it. I asked TM for an inlet which could be delivered when the Model S so I can use official parts to make a prototype of the adaptor and use it with my simulator to test it. (I may even get a leaf in on the action once it gets to that stage. (Brings back memories of the charger getting treed discussion.))

The Model S with a total of 20kw uses 80A at 240/250v. The roadster uses 16.8kw (70A) at 240/250v. To prevent damage to the roadster you need to limit the amperage to 70A. Else you blow fuses which costs some $$ and isn't covered under warranty.

EDIT: Copy/link to the Roadster>Technical Discussion section Please?

Correct. BUT with what HELL I went through with TM saying 2 blown fuses were MY fault because of "Over Current" condition which was caused by line spikes from our utility, it is just better to be safe than sorry later.

Last edited:
Correct. BUT with what HELL I went through with TM saying 2 blown fuses were MY fault because of "Over Current" condition which was caused by line spikes from our utility, it is just better to be safe than sorry later.

I believe what you would like is a surge protector that limits voltage spikes, usually handled by an active(returns to normal after spike) crowbar circuit with thyristors or diodes. In the old days they used to have a spark gap to handle the spikes but its not always fast enough.

I believe what you would like is a surge protector that limits voltage spikes, usually handled by an active(returns to normal after spike) crowbar circuit with thyristors or diodes. In the old days they used to have a spark gap to handle the spikes but its not always fast enough.

No. Line Conditioner is the best option. What we were seeing was 250V, power spike, fault, reset, 250V, power spike, fault, reset...

Back to topic. With an official HPC 2.0 to Roadster adaptor out of the question we'll need to make one. Then send a prototype to TM for approval, while hoping they don't have a "Request Denied" stamp specially made for such things.

Clarification:
Screen Shot 2012-04-26 at 7.23.38 PM.png

Hey Michael Ryan, if you're listening, can you provide us with just a wee bit more information about the "technical details that still need to be worked out" in order for us to think about charging our Roadster with the Model S HPC?. I'm just curious, that's all.:wink: Don't worry, I would never try to build my own adapter or anything like that. (Pls don't read my other posts.) :tongue: Dan Myggen has my email in case you need it... Did Tesla ever fix that bug in the Roadster that doesn't like EVSE signaling more than 70A on the pilot? Thanks for your help.

Hi, could you explain that to me? Whats the bug on the pilot? Is there any other possible issue, is the signaling different in some other way. There was a thread I need to find again that talked about building your own boxes, and maybe cables. I really want the 2.0 back to Roadster solution and would love to hear anything known, including some technical detail. Thanks W. for the TM note. Thanks all.

The Roadster should simply draw 70A just fine when the charge station says 80A is available. Someone hasn't done their firmware testing.
That's correct except it goes beyond testing at this point. Real-world testing exposed this bug to Tesla over a year ago. I call it a bug because it has nothing to do with hardware or J-1772. The Roadster has no problem limiting amps to 70 every time it charges from an HPC.

Don't worry Bifff67 if Tesla doesn't fix this then I or somebody else will.

...Is there any other possible issue, is the signaling different in some other way...
We don't know unless Tesla tells us or we get our hands on a Model S HPC and sample the signal. We know at least one thing: the new HPC will send some kind of wireless signal to open the charge port. This may also be a "technical detail that still needs to be worked out" because it would have to be built into the adapter, or you'll have to open the port manually from the switch in the cabin.

The Roadster should simply draw 70A just fine when the charge station says 80A is available. Someone hasn't done their firmware testing.

I know of a quick and dirty solution which requires a microcontroller. BUT I don't think that TM will implement it as it requires finding a power source on the roadster. I may ask some of the code gurus at the DMS (Dallas Makerspace) if they could help make a "Pilot Shifter". (same concept as a radar shifter, but in this case we are shifting the pilot signal of the J1772)